This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Section 508 Microsoft Narrator Problem in Tab Control

6 Answers 128 Views
TabControl
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
mark
Top achievements
Rank 1
mark asked on 31 Aug 2012, 09:36 PM
I work on a Section 508 Compliant application for a client and we use your Silverlight Controls version 2011.2.712.1040 and I am using Windows 7.

I just switched from the Microsoft TabControl to your RadTabControl because the Narrator reads the header better where we underline the hot-key in the RadTabItem.Header.

However, I just realized a big problem.  Now many of the primitive controls like Buttons, TextBoxes and Hyperlinks are no longer read correctly.  Instead of reading their content like they should (and like it did inside the Microsoft Tab Control), it now reads the description for the RadTabControl for most primitive controls inside the RadTabItem.

You can reproduce this by using the following code and starting the Narrator (Control Panel/Ease of Access/Ease of Access Center/Start Narrator.  I uncheck all the boxes in the narrator window except Start Narrator Minimized.  When you tab through the controls, clearly the ones inside the RadTabItem do not read correctly and the ones outside the RadTabItem are fine (except the first time you land outside of the Tab).

Hopefully there is a fix or a work around for this problem.

Thanks,
-Mark

*********************************************************************************************

<Grid>

<Grid.RowDefinitions>

<RowDefinition Height="Auto"/>

<RowDefinition Height="Auto"/>

</Grid.RowDefinitions>

<telerik:RadTabControl x:Name="_tabControl" Height="300">

<telerik:RadTabItem Header="Tab1">

<StackPanel VerticalAlignment="Center" HorizontalAlignment="Center">

<Button Content="Button To Click1"/>

<Button Content="Button To Click2"/>

<Button Content="Button To Click3"/>

<TextBox Text="blah blah blah"/>

</StackPanel>

</telerik:RadTabItem>

<telerik:RadTabItem Header="Tab2">

<StackPanel VerticalAlignment="Center" HorizontalAlignment="Center">

</StackPanel>

</telerik:RadTabItem>

</telerik:RadTabControl>

<StackPanel Margin="0,20,0,0" Grid.Row="1">

</StackPanel>

</Grid>

6 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Vladislav
Telerik team
answered on 05 Sep 2012, 09:00 AM
Hello mark,

You are using quite outdated version of our controls, is there any particular reason to use such version?
I am asking because we introduced many UI Automation improvements for our controls in the latest version of our controls. Moreover there will be even more improvements in our upcoming 2012 Q3 release, which should be released this October.

And as unfortunately, there is no way to workaround or fix this issue in your version, we highly suggest to use our latest releases.

Kind regards,
Vladislav
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading Telerik DevCraft Ultimate.

mark
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 Sep 2012, 03:07 PM
Hi Vladislav,

Thanks for your reply.  My client has not upgraded because there has been no reason to do so yet.

I will update to the latest version and see if that fixes it.

Thanks,
-Mark
mark
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Sep 2012, 04:18 PM
Hello,

I upgraded to the current version (2012.2.725.1040) and it did NOT fix the problem. 

With the RadTabControl, the narrator reads the RadTabControl.AutomationProperties.Name when it lands on the controls contained inside the TabItems (buttons, textboxes, checkboxes, thumbs, etc...)  In fact I believe it does this for every control that we have not done something to make the Narrator read special messages.  When I swith back to the Microsoft TabControl, everything works as expected.

I don't understand how it could cause an 'override' of normal behavior for the controls contained within it, but it does. It does not seem that this control could possibly be called 508 Compliant with this behavior.

The example I posted above is still valid. Is there some fix or work around?

Thanks!
-Mark
mark
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Sep 2012, 02:43 PM
Hello,
Do I need to open a support ticket for this?  We have a release coming soon and need to know if there is a fix or work around or if we need to revert back to the Microsoft TabControl.

Thanks!
-Mark
Stefan
Telerik team
answered on 21 Sep 2012, 07:47 AM
Hello Mark,

I managed to reproduce the described behavior, but unfortunately, we are not aware of a workaround at the moment. We will need more time to do further investigation of the problem.

On a side note, please keep in mind that it's best to use our support ticketing system in cases when you need a prompt response to urgent issues. This is the best way to reach our support staff - the support system assigns a response time for all of your questions, depending on your license and ensures that all questions will reach the respective developers, if needed.

All the best,
Stefan
the Telerik team

Time to cast your vote for Telerik! Tell DevPro Connections and Windows IT Pro why Telerik is your choice. Telerik is nominated in a total of 25 categories.

mark
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Sep 2012, 10:30 PM
Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your reply and explanation.
-Mark
Tags
TabControl
Asked by
mark
Top achievements