This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

SalsesDemo - SQL 2005 - connection problem.

9 Answers 166 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Moni
Top achievements
Rank 1
Moni asked on 03 Mar 2010, 10:12 PM

Just installed and compiled the SalesDemo for the firs time - It loads and compiles fine

When I run it - the blue frames load and then I get an Error Message:
Tried do search for instructions from other posts - yet the fixes there did not really apply - apology if I missed something.

Error Message (Names of servers changed to generic names):
Unable to connect to Backend=mssql;Driver=genericADO2;Server=MyServerName;Instance=MySQL2005NamedInstance;Database=NorthwindOA;Integrated Security=true;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\NORTHWND.MDF;:

Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.sql.SQLException:
The user instance login flag is not supported on this version of SQL Server. The connection will be closed.
   at Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.Adonet2Generic.Impl.DBDriver.connect(ConnectionString connectionString, IDictionary driverProps)
   at OpenAccessRuntime.Relational.conn.RelationalConnectionPool.createRealCon()

DBDriver: Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.Adonet2Generic.Impl.DBDriver

LOCK_TIMEOUT=5000 Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.sql.SQLException:
The user instance login flag is not supported on this version of SQL Server. The connection will be closed.
   at Telerik.OpenAccess.RT.Adonet2Generic.Impl.DBDriver.connect(ConnectionString connectionString, IDictionary driverProps)
   at OpenAccessRuntime.Relational.conn.RelationalConnectionPool.createRealCon()

Additional Symptoms:
When I run ASP.NET Web Site Administration Tool - I cannot get to the security tab.

WEB.CONFIG segment:
<openaccess xmlns="http://www.telerik.com/OpenAccess">
    <references>
      <reference assemblyname="Telerik.SalesDashboard.Data" configrequired="True" />
    </references>
    <connections>
      <connection id="NorthwindConnection">
        <databasename>NorthwindOA</databasename>
        <servername>MyServerName\MySQL2005NamedInstance</servername> ->> I changed this manually
        <integratedSecurity>True</integratedSecurity>
        <connectionParams>AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\NORTHWND.MDF</connectionParams>
        <backendconfigurationname>mssqlConfiguration</backendconfigurationname>
      </connection>
    </connections>
  </openaccess>

Question:
databasename = NorthwindOA
connectionParams = Northwind (no OA) ?
Do I have to insert the actual path (listed below)?

System Configuration:
Visual Studio 2008 Prof + latest SP
All latest:
Silverlight version 3
Silverlight3_Tools
Silverlight 3 Toolkit November 2009.msi

OS XP Prof. x64
exact browser version 8.0.6001.18702
exact version of the Telerik product 
programming language - C#

SQL Server - 2005 (NOT 2008 Express)
Location of NorthwindOA.mdf: C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\OpenAccess ORM\examples\ExamplesWin\Data

Telerik controls:
RadControls_for_Silverlight_2009_3_1314_TRIAL.zip
Telerik_OpenAccess_ORM_2009_3_1119_trial

OpenAccess installed fine.
NortWindOA was installed OK.Then I ran \aspnet_regsql.exe to configure this database.
The login account which is used while coding was manually entered as a DB_OWNER in NorthwindOA.
Telerik item shows in Tool Bar.
Tools->Add-In Manager shows "Telerik OpenAccess" as running fine (all green check boxes on).

Btw. In the large demo (ExamplesCS_SL) where the SalesDemo is a subset I do not get this error.
In this demo however I see a bunch of Northwind named objects and services.
Let me qualify "runs fine" - I can start the SalesDemo and it loads without problems.
I did not go over ALL examples - it could be that I simply do not hit a place where I need to connect to a DB.
In this large demo these are the connection strings - they all refer to non-existent databases as I do not have SQLExpress.

<connectionStrings>
    <add name="NorthwindEntities" connectionString="metadata=res://*/Northwind.csdl|res://*/Northwind.ssdl|res://*/Northwind.msl;provider=System.Data.SqlClient;provider connection string=&quot;Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\Northwind.mdf;Integrated Security=True;Connect Timeout=30;User Instance=True;MultipleActiveResultSets=True&quot;"
      providerName="System.Data.EntityClient" />

<add name="NorthwindConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\Northwind.mdf;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True"
      providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
  </connectionStrings>

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Moni

9 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Moni
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 Mar 2010, 01:23 AM
+ 3 days.
Tihomir Petkov
Telerik team
answered on 08 Mar 2010, 04:50 PM
Hi Moni,

My apologies for the delayed answer. From the exception it seems the problem is caused by the version of OpenAccess you have installed on your machine. If this is acceptable for you, I will update the demo app to work with our latest binaries, once we release the 2010 Q2 version by the end of this week. Let me know if this timeframe will work for you.

All the best,
Tihomir Petkov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
Moni
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 08 Mar 2010, 05:25 PM
Tihomir, Many thanks for the reply.
You have my full understanding - I know how it goes on your end so I am happy with what you guys do for us.

Yes - the proposed solution is fine with me. That SalesDemo seems to have its "growing pains".
In general I would suggest - demos are also used for tutorials - that is ... if you guys deliberately keep the coding simple :)) the people new to the product will be very, very happy.

If you do have some bandwidth - would you mind having a quick look at another post I left in the Code Library section:
http://www.telerik.com/community/code-library/silverlight/general.aspx
Post - RadTabControl in Composite Application Guidance

Also - just as feedback and for whatever it is worth - It seems that one of your most valuable tutorials is "hidden" in a place so obvious that I missed it.
Home Page->Popular Pages->Documentation->SilverLight-> Step-By-Step Tutorial is GREAT !!
ONLY ... the information flow is such that I, as a user, hit first the free trials and downloads and there was no link to this rather large tutorial (at least I did not see it) .

Oh ... btw ... smack somewhere by the downloads a "visible" note that VS 2008 EXPRESS is not supported for some examples. That little assumption cost me a day in reconfiguring, installing and un-installing packages. Yeah ... I know VS and VS Express are supposed to be compatible ... yet things get sour very quickly if upgrades are done in the wrong sequence :)

Many thanks again.
Accepted
Tihomir Petkov
Telerik team
answered on 09 Mar 2010, 11:03 AM
Hi Moni,

Thank you for the detailed feedback! I forwarded it to the appropriate managers, so hopefully we will soon be able to improve the content you mentioned. I added 1000 Telerik points to your account.

Regarding your other post - a colleague of mine is actually replying to it right now.

Best wishes,
Tihomir Petkov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
Moni
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Mar 2010, 03:20 PM
Thanks!
:)
Jason Marshall
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Apr 2010, 12:22 AM
Where can I find latest source code for Sales demo configured to use 2010 Q2?  I am having several problems getting Open Access to work with latest control set...
Valentin.Stoychev
Telerik team
answered on 03 May 2010, 06:45 AM
Hello Jason Marshall,

The code is still not available for download. it will be available for download till the end of the week in your account.

All the best,
Valentin.Stoychev
the Telerik team

Jason Marshall
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 May 2010, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the help. Where do I go in my account to dowload the code? I could not find it?
Nikolay
Telerik team
answered on 06 May 2010, 12:50 PM
Hi Jason Marshall,

We have not updated the source code yet. We will be ready by the end of next week at the latest. The download file will be available under the Downloads->RadControls for Silverlight section of your account.

Greetings,
Nick
the Telerik team

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Moni
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Moni
Top achievements
Rank 1
Tihomir Petkov
Telerik team