This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Run Teststudio testlist in TFS 2012 new build

9 Answers 171 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Mario
Top achievements
Rank 1
Mario asked on 26 Jun 2013, 04:39 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to run Teststudio tests lists in TFS 2012 new build, but in the telerik documentation only refer to TFS 2010.
How can I run teststudio lists in TFS 2012 new build?
How can I get this TFS 2012 documentacion?

Best Regards
Mário

9 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Velin Koychev
Telerik team
answered on 27 Jun 2013, 02:22 PM
Hello Mário,

Unfortunately you cannot run Test Studio Test List in TFS 2012. The test lists created by our IDE are simply not compatible. 

You can read our documentation and everywhere you see TFS 2010 you can substitute it with TFS 2012. You might find the articles about  Telerik Testing Framework and Team Foundation Server Builds and Connect a Project to TFS very useful. 

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Velin Koychev
Telerik
Quickly become an expert in Test Studio, check out our new training sessions!
Test Studio Trainings
Paulo
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 01 Apr 2014, 03:12 PM
Hi,

When will we have the possibility to run Test Studio Test List in TFS 2012?

Doesn't make much sense be able to do everything else through the Test Studio plugin for VS2012 and don't be able to run testlists on VS.

Best regards,
Paulol
Cody
Telerik team
answered on 01 Apr 2014, 04:35 PM
Hi Paulol,

Please clarify what "run Test Studio Test List in TFS 2012" means to you. TFS can be used for source control, bug tracking, issue tracking, and hooking up build servers to it (which can run tests). TFS itself doesn't run tests.

Regards,
Cody
Telerik

Test Studio Trainings

Paulo
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 01 Apr 2014, 04:40 PM
Hi Cody,

I explained myself badly.
I didn't mean TFS, but Visual Studio, through the Test Studio plugin for VS2012.

Best regards,
Paulo
Cody
Telerik team
answered on 02 Apr 2014, 08:19 PM
Hi Paulo,

You are aware that VS 2012 doesn't support test lists, right? That feature was deprecated starting with VS 2012. Microsoft wants you to use "Test Categories" instead. We do realize that there is no way to put a Test Studio test into a test category at this time. This is high on our TODO list for the near future.

Even in VS 2010 (where you could have a test list) a Visual Studio test list and a Test Studio test list are very different and not interchangeable. Moving forward we are very unlikely to add the ability to run a Test Studio test list from Visual Studio, but we will probably add support for Test Categories so you can run groups of tests the way Microsoft wants you to using Visual Studio.

Regards,
Cody
Telerik

Test Studio Trainings

Shashi
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 02 Apr 2014, 08:48 PM
Paulo,

If you are referring to the test list feature in Visual Studio (via a vsmdi file), then you can create Test Case work items for each of your tests.  You can then assemble these work items into a test suite in Microsoft Test Manager and then either run them interactively from MS Test Manager - or via scripts (using the command line interface of Microsoft Test Manager).  We have been using this architecture for the past 3 years and it is working very well.

vsmdi files are fully supported in VS 2010, partially supported in VS2012 (you can do everything other than run tests from the test list) - but not supported in VS2013.  You will need VS Premium or VS Ultimate to get MS Test Manager in your environment. 

Instructions for all the above should be available in MSDN documentation - you can post here if you need further instructions on anything. 

Hope that helps,
Shashi
Shashi
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 02 Apr 2014, 09:01 PM
Forgot to mention - you will also need to create a test plan in Test Manager - the test suite would then be created inside that test plan.  You can configure the test plan to run on a remote server or (I think) your local as well.

Also, when I said "Test Case", I was referring to "Acceptance Test" work items in TFS.

Finally, I should warn you that the setup may not be as simple as it may sound from my brief description.  It will take some work and time to set up and get everything up and running without issues (especially if you want tests to run on a remote server, unattended, automatically, etc.) - but it is very doable. 

Shashi
Craig
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Aug 2015, 10:50 PM

Using the Test Studio plugin for Visual Studio 2013.

We are trying to use Telerik recorded tests with Visual Studio to run performance tests and load tests.  "Test Categories" appear to only be available for Coded-UI tests or Unit Tests.

When we run performance tests, only tests ending in ".webtest" are available to us.  How can we get Telerik recorded tests, ending in ".tstest" to be available for load tests and performance tests?

Boyan Boev
Telerik team
answered on 17 Aug 2015, 02:06 PM
Hello Craig,

Thank you for contacting us.

Unfortunately you can't run Telerik performance or load test in Visual Studio.

As a workaround you can use Visual Studio tests for performance and load.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
Boyan Boev
Telerik

Test Studio Trainings

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Mario
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Velin Koychev
Telerik team
Paulo
Top achievements