This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

RibbonWindows: Office 2013 theme and Windows 10

14 Answers 208 Views
RibbonView and RibbonWindow
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Patrick
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Iron
Patrick asked on 04 Aug 2015, 08:22 AM

Hello,

when the RibbonWindow is not maximized, left and right blocks are displayed on the outside of the window...

14 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Evgenia
Telerik team
answered on 06 Aug 2015, 07:38 AM
Hello Patrick,

We are sorry to hear that you are facing visual glitches with our RibbonWindow control in Windows 10 OS. What I can say is that our controls haven't been excessively tested on Windows 10 OS and this is something that we are currently doing but is a time consuming task. Needless to say that Windows 10 is not yet official version. So stay tuned for our next official Release which will support (fixes and visual changes will be updated wherever needed) all our controls under the latest MS OS out-of-the-box. 

Regards,
Evgenia
Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Patrick
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Iron
answered on 06 Aug 2015, 08:46 AM
Evgenia,

[quote]Needless to say that Windows 10 is not yet official version.[/quote]

Windows 10 is publicly available since July 29.

Evgenia
Telerik team
answered on 10 Aug 2015, 12:15 PM
Hi Patrick,

I didn't made my point very well and I'm sorry about that. What I meant was that Windows 10 was released to public at July 29, 2015 and our latest release Q2 2015 SP1 was on July 28, 2015. 
Our plans for the SP1 were arranged long before the Windows 10 RTM Build was published, however I can ensure you that we think ahead to making our controls fully functional and stunning on Windows 10. 

Regards,
Evgenia
Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Patrick
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Iron
answered on 30 Sep 2015, 01:03 PM

Evgenia,

2 months later and a new version: the problem is still here...

Evgenia
Telerik team
answered on 02 Oct 2015, 08:53 AM
Hello Patrick,

As I previously stated we were busy working on the issues we faced with RadRibbonWindow and Windows10 OS. The fixes will be available with the first LIB version (Latest Internal Build) released every Monday after our latest official release Q3 2015. So please download the next LIB version from your account and give it a try.
As for your initial statement -- "when the RibbonWindow is not maximized, left and right blocks are displayed on the outside of the window" ... do you mean that the left and right borders of the window are displaced when it is not maximized? I still suggest that you try our LIB binaries and check whether the problem still occurs.

P.S. There is a workaround that we can provide you if you do not want to upgrade to our latest internal build version. Drop us a line if this is your wish and we'll further assist you.

Regards,
Evgenia
Telerik
Patrick
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Iron
answered on 05 Nov 2015, 07:38 AM

Hello Evgenia,

this has been marked as resolved in version Q3 2015 SP1, but it is worse than before: when the application is full screen:

1. The window content is 4 pixels too high.
  2. There is a 7 pixels margin at the bottom.
  3. There are a 7 pixels margin at the left and right.

Do you really test it?

Milena
Telerik team
answered on 09 Nov 2015, 08:31 AM
Hi Patrick,

We are sorry to hear that you are still experiencing this issue. With Q3 2015 SP1 we provided RibbonWindow support for Windows 10 OS and tested it in different scenarios. It is possible that we could miss something and this is why i would ask to sent us a sample isolate project and picture of RibbonWindow, so that we could investigate further the reason behind this behavior. There are many details that could affect the visual appearance of the window, for instance:  
- do you use the Windows OS theme or Telerik predefined themes (you can find more information in this article
- do you use Xaml or NoXaml binaries 
- which theme (Office_Black, Office 2013, etc.)
- do you have custom styles, 
- have you set Title to the window and it is visible or not
- etc.

For your convenience you can find attached a sample project where I used NoXaml binaries. implicit styles, Telerik predefined themes and a possibility to change the themes (using the ComboBox below the RibbonView), If it is easier to you - you can tested this project on your side and see if it works as expected and modify it in order to show us your scenario or send us a new sample project where we can see the issue you are talking about.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation. 

Regards,
Milena
Telerik
Patrick
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Iron
answered on 09 Nov 2015, 10:19 AM

Hello Milena,
thanks for your answer and the demo application.

One difference between your application and Yours is that you set RadRibbonWindow.IsWindowsThemeEnabled = false; in the class constructor of the main window. If I remove this statement from your application, it displays the same behavior as mine.

This is the good news, now for the bad news: if I add this statement to my application and run it, it justs displays a black window, with nothing on it...

One other difference between your application and mine is that my application doesn't directly inherits from RadRibbonWindow. As I need to use the window in more than one application and the application has more than one main window, I have defined in-between classes that add common functionalities to RadRibbonWindow. The main window class inheritance is the following:

System.Object
   System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherObject
      System.Windows.DependencyObject
         System.Windows.Media.Visual
            System.Windows.UIElement
               System.Windows.FrameworkElement
                  System.Windows.Controls.Control
                     System.Windows.Controls.ContentControl
                        System.Windows.Window
                           Telerik.Windows.Controls.RadRibbonWindow
                              Fivb.Vis.Controls.VisRibbonWindow
                                 Fivb.Vis.Controls.VisRibbonWindowWithDocking
                                    Fivb.Vis.MainWnd

To test this scenario, I need to add to your application a class library​ with an in-between class and check if this is the problem...

Regards

Patrick
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Iron
answered on 09 Nov 2015, 10:42 AM

Hello Milena,
the last problem is due to the fact that I have to add Style="{StaticResource RadRibbonWindowStyle}" to the xaml of my main window. I don't know why it works without this before the previous change, but the main thing is that it is working correctly now.

Thank you for your help.

Milena
Telerik team
answered on 10 Nov 2015, 10:01 AM
Hello Patrick,

I'm glad that with our Chrome (RadRibbonWindow.IsWindowsThemeEnabled = false) everything works fine. About your question for the RadRibbonWindowStyle - it is necessary to apply the style for the RibbonWindow. You can find more information in this article

As for the issue with MS Chrome, I tried to reproduce it following your explanation about  the custom controls in your project, but t no avail. So, if  first solution does not suit your scenario, please send us an isolate runable project where we can reproduce the described behavior and test it locally.

I'm looking forward to your reply.

Regards,
Milena
Telerik
micro
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Sep 2016, 12:13 PM

Hello!

collapsing the ribbon (with double click) and opening the popup (single click) yields a ribbon out of the non maximized window.

Is that error known? Using Windows 10, current 2016 R3 version.

Thanks

Milena
Telerik team
answered on 26 Sep 2016, 03:06 PM
Hi Mirko,

When the RibbonView is in minimized state and click on a ribbon tab, it is open in a popup. If the width of the RibbonView content is bigger than the current width of the window, in this case the popup's width will be also bigger. This behavior is expected. Could you please tell us is you set Width property of the RibbonView? If so, you can try to bind the width of the ribbon to the width of the window. 

If this suggestion does not help, please provide us more information about your scenario (isolated project, steps to reproduce) in order to help you further. Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Milena
Telerik by Progress
Do you need help with upgrading your AJAX, WPF or WinForms project? Check the Telerik API Analyzer and share your thoughts.
micro
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 11 Oct 2016, 01:32 PM

Hi.

Please tell me in what application the ribbon is out of the window and next to it? If the window is too small, buttons are collapsed (Collapsing groups). Just have a look on Excel, Word, ...

Mirko
Milena
Telerik team
answered on 12 Oct 2016, 07:31 AM
Hello Mirko,

Thank you for the picture, now I understand what you refer to. 

This behavior is caused by the handedness settings of the OS (you can check you current setting in ControlPanel->Tablet PC Settings). If the "Handedness" option is set to "right-handed" the popups are open on the left of the control like in your case. However, if you set your options to "left-handed" the popups will be opened to the right side of the control as you expect them to open. 

Currently the RibbonView does not support this out of the box. There is a feature request for this functionality in our FeedBack Portal where you can track its progress and vote for is. 

In the mean time you can try the following workaround and affect the handedness of all popups in your application as desired (the original code snippet comes from this stackoverflow post):
public static void SetAlignment()
{
    var ifLeft = SystemParameters.MenuDropAlignment;

if (ifLeft)
    {
        // change to false
        var t = typeof(SystemParameters);
        var field = t.GetField("_menuDropAlignment", BindingFlags.NonPublic | BindingFlags.Static);
        field.SetValue(null, false);

ifLeft = SystemParameters.MenuDropAlignment;
    }
}

Please have in mind that this is a workaround and we can not guarantee that everything will continue working as expected as this code modifies the default OS system settings which we are not supposed to change in code.

Regards,
Milena
Telerik by Progress
Do you need help with upgrading your AJAX, WPF or WinForms project? Check the Telerik API Analyzer and share your thoughts.
Tags
RibbonView and RibbonWindow
Asked by
Patrick
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Iron
Answers by
Evgenia
Telerik team