This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Reporting R3 2016 Breaks Reports

7 Answers 66 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Richard
Top achievements
Rank 1
Richard asked on 22 Dec 2016, 12:49 PM

When I update to Reporting R3 2016, fields or text on most of my reports disappears. Before I spend a few hours trying to track the issue down, does anyone have any idea what has changed that would cause the text to disappear?

This kind of issue has been a problem with Telerik over the years. I don't understand how you can release a new version of a development library that breaks developers existing code. Now that you are owned by Progress, is there a plan to make your products more reliable?

7 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Stef
Telerik team
answered on 22 Dec 2016, 03:05 PM
Hi Richard,

I guess you are using events to modify the report after the data processing is started. If yes, please check Changes on items in report events are not applied.
Other important change is in the additional security settings of the ObjectDataSource - Telerik Reporting R3 2016 - Upgrade Issues with ObjectDataSource Component.

If I am wrong about the settings of the report, please open a support ticket and send us a demo project that reproduces the problem.

Regards,
Stef
Telerik by Progress
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Richard
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Dec 2016, 03:07 PM
Actually, the only event I am using is OnNeedDataSource, where I should be able to set the data source. By setting Report.DataSource initially, I got the report to work, but it is not very intuitive.
Stef
Telerik team
answered on 22 Dec 2016, 03:16 PM
Hi Richard,

If you are using a line like this.DataSource = DataObjectHere, please change it to:
//http://docs.telerik.com/reporting/data-items-need-data-source-event
private
void Report1_NeedDataSource(object  sender, System.EventArgs e)
{
    (sender as Telerik.Reporting.Processing.Report).DataSource = dataObject;
}
The idea is that in events you should work only with the currently processed element and its exposed properties.

Regards,
Stef
Telerik by Progress
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Richard
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Dec 2016, 03:17 PM
Thanks, I will give that a try.
Richard
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Dec 2016, 03:17 PM
Thanks, I will give that a try.
M
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Dec 2016, 08:44 AM

Hi Richard . I have similar problem with r3 2016 (transferring from q2 2012) . Every where I have used ReportItem.Parent.Parent...

for reaching to a datasource or fieldname , I will getting null in r3 2016. I want to know what is the equivalent of this expression in r3 2016 : ReportItem.Parent.Parent.Parent.DataObject.MyField or similar expressions.

Stef
Telerik team
answered on 23 Dec 2016, 02:32 PM
Hi M,

I believe you have already resolved the problem.
For anyone interested, please check ReportItem.parent.parent.DataObject equivalent in reporting 2016 R3.

Regards,
Stef
Telerik by Progress
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Richard
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Stef
Telerik team
Richard
Top achievements
Rank 1