This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Reported Q1 SP2 (build 2008.1.619) problems and their solutions

13 Answers 766 Views
FormDecorator
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Telerik Admin
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Telerik Admin asked on 20 Jun 2008, 08:54 AM
After the Q2 2008 SP2 release of RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX we received several messages from customers who upgraded to the service pack and got a clientside javascript error from the RadFormDecorator saying
"_a.deleteRule is null or not an object".

Upon further research we were able to determine that the problem comes from using RadFormDecorator and RadStyleSheetManager on the same page.

The error is caused by new code in the RadFormDecorator that has to do with eliminating the short flicker when a page loads. Up until SP2  RadFormDecorator the user would shortly see the default browser elements before those were replaced with their decorated counterparts. Eliminating this flicker was the most common request that came back as feedback from customers. Unfortunately, it is an extremely tricky thing to do - as the way the RadFormDecorator functions is to decorate elements on the clientside, rather than do server-side processing.

We were able to workaround the flickering problem by using a css style to hide input elements, and then show them back after they are decorated. However, the hack relies on the
RadFormDecorator being able to find its own CSS file on the client and modify it. Unfortunately, when using RadStyleSheetManager all CSS files are combined into one single file, thus causing the RadFormDecorator to fail. This is a logical error that was not detected during our tests - and unfortunately there is no workaround for the time being.

We are working on ensuring that the
RadFormDecorator and  RadStyleSheetManager will work properly and the problem will be corrected in a matter of days. For the time being the only way around it is to not use  RadStyleSheetManager together with RadFormDecorator.

============================================
Update:

We found that the RadFormDecorator live examples will not work properly in Firefox if loaded through the web project of the RadControls installation (see the screenshot). If loaded directly via the provided Start menu shortcut (see the screenshot) one will not experience this problem. The RadFormDecorator will function properly in all developer projects and applications as well (except for if RadStyleSheetManager is used - see above)

=============================================
Update #2:

Two new issues were reported with the RadFormDecorator new page initialization and page layout mechanism in certain scenarios.
We have prepared solutions and workarounds for all reported issues. Attached is a simple page that provides the workarounds (two of those are pure CSS and one is javascript that needs to be pasted on the page without the need to modify anything else).

Update #3:

An issue was reported with some of RadGrid inputs (such as the "previous page", and "next page" buttons) not visible when the RadFormDecorator is used. The problem comes from the fact that these inputs have no value/text and their look is styled completely using CSS. The "solutions" page was updated to provide a workaround for this scenario as well. As of the next official update, the RadFormDecorator will be modified to not style inputs that have a className/CssClass set. We assume that the presence of a classname would mean that the developer provides separate styling for the input that should not be changed by the RadFormDecorator. Instead, only "unstyled" inputs will be decorated.

Update #4:

All problems discussed in this forum thread are fixed in the "Futures" release which is available from the Downloads section in your Client.net account.

There is a new problem however with INPUT elements that become invisible on the page when RadFormDecorator is used in MasterPage / ContentPage scenario. This problem is a side effect from a new approach that we tried to eliminate the initial flickering of the skinned controls.

The good news is that we will fix this problem as well for the Q2 release in 2 weeks. The new solution will be based on the original implementation of the "anti-flickering" fix which had problems when used with RadStyleSheetManager. Now we will make some changes in both products and from Q2 everything will work as expected.
For the time being there is a workaround that you can use in case you stumble upon this problem. What you need to do is to add the following code on the page:
<%@ Page Language="csharp" AutoEventWireup="true" MasterPageFile="./MasterPage.master" %> 

<%@ Register Assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" Namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" TagPrefix="telerik" %> 
<asp:Content ID="Content2" ContentPlaceHolderID="ContentPlaceHolder1" runat="server"
    <asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server"
    </asp:ScriptManager> 

<script runat=server language=csharp>     
    public void OnPreRender(object sender, System.EventArgs args) 
    { 
        int last = RadFormDecorator1.Controls.Count -1;             
        RadFormDecorator1.Controls[last].ID = RadFormDecorator1.ID + "_hiddenInputsStyle";                                     
    } 
    </script> 

<telerik:RadFormDecorator OnPreRender="OnPreRender" ID="RadFormDecorator1" runat="server" /> 

<telerik:RadComboBox ID="cmbLeerling" runat="server" AutoPostBack="True" CausesValidation="False" 
        Skin="Outlook" Width="200px" AllowCustomText="True" MarkFirstMatch="True"
        <CollapseAnimation Type="OutQuint" Duration="200"></CollapseAnimation> 
    </telerik:RadComboBox> 

</asp:Content> 

13 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Patrick
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Jun 2008, 02:12 AM
Thanks for the post, I was bit by this in testing your controls.  I was waiting for a new release to see how smooth upgrades go.

Hopefully you will have a fix for this soon or at least some sort of workaround.

Removing the stylesheet manager is fine for now.  Nice to see all the good support and not a bunch of users complaining without response.
Tervel
Telerik team
answered on 23 Jun 2008, 12:06 PM
Hi Patrick,

We just updated the thread with a test page providing solutions for the reported issues so far.
On one hand, we are really sorry for not being able to track all possible side-effects (we did fix very many while developing the wokrarounds), but on the other hand - this was a very needed and a major change in the RadFormDecorator that addresses two significant issues:
 1) Initial flickering when the page loads
 2) Display of the decorated elements (up until now they were block elements floated to the left, while the original browser input elements are inline and go with the page flow. The change in display allows for the decorated elements to obey the same rules for vertical and horizontal positioning as their browser counerparts.

We are confident that with the fixes integrated into the control very soon, it will deliver the needed page look seamlessly and with no extra effort for you - the developers.

Sincerely yours,
Tervel
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions at the new Telerik Support Center
Steve
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Jun 2008, 01:11 AM
I am new to Telerik controls and have been trying to just get something to work.  I have never used ajax before, but have been doing .NET since the beginning.  I am having the same problem as reported.  I created a new web application with ajax enabled in VS2005.  I created a SQLConnection and set it up, and then dragged and dropped from the toolbar:

-RadScriptManager
-RadStyleSheetManager
-RadComboBox

And setup the combo box.  When I run the page in debug with or without a RadFormDecorator I get the same javascript error 'deleteRule' is null or not an object and it prevents the control from working. 

I used the page you guys posted to get the style and script fixes and pasted them into my page and re-ran, and I get the same error.  I really need help here because I am on a tight timeline for the software, and need to decide whether to invest the money in your products, which I am very impressed with via the samples, but I have not been able to make them work on my machine. 
Tervel
Telerik team
answered on 27 Jun 2008, 06:46 AM
Hello Steve,

To eliminate the error from appearing you need to remove the RadStyleSheetManager from the page.

Sincerely yours,
Tervel
the Telerik team

Georgi Tunev
Telerik team
answered on 10 Jul 2008, 08:09 AM
Hi all,

All problems discussed in this forum thread are fixed in the "Futures" release which is available from the Downloads section in your Client.net account.

There is a new problem however with INPUT elements that become invisible on the page when RadFormDecorator is used in MasterPage / ContentPage scenario. This problem is a side effect from a new approach that we tried to eliminate the initial flickering of the skinned controls.

The good news is that we will fix this problem as well for the Q2 release in 2 weeks. The new solution will be based on the original implementation of the "anti-flickering" fix which had problems when used with RadStyleSheetManager. Now we will make some changes in both products and from Q2 everything will work as expected.
For the time being there is a workaround that you can use in case you stumble upon this problem. What you need to do is to add the following code on the page:
<%@ Page Language="csharp" AutoEventWireup="true" MasterPageFile="./MasterPage.master" %> 

<%@ Register Assembly="Telerik.Web.UI" Namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" TagPrefix="telerik" %> 
<asp:Content ID="Content2" ContentPlaceHolderID="ContentPlaceHolder1" runat="server"
    <asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server"
    </asp:ScriptManager> 

<script runat=server language=csharp>     
    public void OnPreRender(object sender, System.EventArgs args) 
    { 
        int last = RadFormDecorator1.Controls.Count -1;             
        RadFormDecorator1.Controls[last].ID = RadFormDecorator1.ID + "_hiddenInputsStyle";                                     
    } 
    </script> 

<telerik:RadFormDecorator OnPreRender="OnPreRender" ID="RadFormDecorator1" runat="server" /> 

<telerik:RadComboBox ID="cmbLeerling" runat="server" AutoPostBack="True" CausesValidation="False" 
        Skin="Outlook" Width="200px" AllowCustomText="True" MarkFirstMatch="True"
        <CollapseAnimation Type="OutQuint" Duration="200"></CollapseAnimation> 
    </telerik:RadComboBox> 

</asp:Content> 

Kind regards,
Georgi Tunev
the Telerik team

Simon Kingaby
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 16 Jul 2008, 10:21 PM

So I took the RadStyleSheetManager off my Master.page.

And I added all the workaround code and css changes to my web control (ASCX file) that is used as a RadGrid Edit control.  I.e. In RadGrid1 => <EditFormSettings EditFormType="WebUserControl" UserControlName="Controls/DealEntryScreen.ascx">

However, with the RadFormDecorator in the web control, all of the text boxes (including the date textbox portion of a RadDatePicker) disappear.

What other changes do I need to make and how do I post images so you can see what I am talking about.

Thanks, Simon.

Georgi Tunev
Telerik team
answered on 17 Jul 2008, 07:15 AM
Hi Simon,

I would suggest to upgrade to the "Futures" release and see how your app behaves - also please check issue #4 in the first post.

If you still experience problems, please open a support ticket and send us a reproduction project so we can investigate.

Kind regards,
Georgi Tunev
the Telerik team

Nicholas Walker
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Jul 2008, 04:06 PM
Not sure if this has already been reported or not, but the + - buttons on the grid when using hierarchy are also not displayed when using rad form decorator.  I tried the solutions posted, and couldn't seem to get them to work for the grid problem, although they worked fine for the other issues I have seen reported.
Georgi Tunev
Telerik team
answered on 24 Jul 2008, 02:37 PM
Hi Nicholas,

Please make sure that you are using the latest version of the control - you should not experience this problem there.

If you still have this problem after upgrading, please open a support ticket and send us a full, working project where we can examine this behavior - we will do our best to help.

Best wishes,
Georgi Tunev
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Joe Tusing
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Aug 2009, 06:19 PM
Hello,

I ran into this same issue of Decorated Controls.Defaul is null or not an object script error. I applied the suggested code snippet in order to fix this issue. However, after I applied the code snippet I'm now getting a new error:

"Multiple controls with the same ID 'RadFormDecorator1_hiddenInputsStyle' were found. FindControl requires that controls have unique IDs."

RadFormDecarator1 appears no where else in my solution. I am on the most recent version of Telerik released on 7/1/2009 and also not using RadStyleSheetManager.

Any ideas as to what is causing this error?

Thanks,
Joe 
Georgi Tunev
Telerik team
answered on 11 Aug 2009, 07:33 AM
Hi Joe,

This thread is quite old and all problems reported in it are already fixed. If you are using the latest release, the reason must be somewhere else, but without having a closer look over your exact scenario, we cannot be of much help.
Please open a support ticket and send us a small sample project where the problem could be reproduced. We will check it right away and do our best to help.

Regards,
Georgi Tunev
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Check out the tips for optimizing your support resource searches.
mansour
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 19 Aug 2009, 09:25 AM
Hello,
   I have similar problems with radformdecorator and I am using Rad control version 2008.3.1504.35. where can I find a fix for this release?

Regards
Georgi Tunev
Telerik team
answered on 19 Aug 2009, 01:22 PM
Hello mansour,

Please open a support ticket and send us a sample project that will allow us to get a better view over your exact setup and the problem with it.

Best wishes,
Georgi Tunev
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Check out the tips for optimizing your support resource searches.
Tags
FormDecorator
Asked by
Telerik Admin
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Answers by
Patrick
Top achievements
Rank 1
Tervel