This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Render charts on the server side

3 Answers 673 Views
Chart
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Jianxun
Top achievements
Rank 1
Jianxun asked on 16 Jul 2014, 02:15 AM
I have been using Kendo to drawing charts at the web client side.  However, sometimes I need draw chart on the server side(MVC project). E.g., I would like to generate a chart as image then send it in a report email. Can Kendo support generating chart all by server with C# code?  I find highchart have this feature http://www.highcharts.com/component/content/article/2-articles/news/52-serverside-generated-charts
Thanks in advance.

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
T. Tsonev
Telerik team
answered on 16 Jul 2014, 11:48 AM
Hello,

As your scenario requires the export to happen entirely on the server-side our recommended approach is also PhantomJS. It can be pointed to a designated page and scripted to export it as an image or PDF.

We also provide a demo that uses Inkscape to export charts from an MVC application. In this scenario the client sees the chart in the browser and sends the SVG output to the server for conversion.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
T. Tsonev
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

Jianxun
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Jul 2014, 02:47 PM
I prefer to use node.js since it's a server side engine. Any examples make KendoUI available in node.js? Such as "npm install Kendo" and make kendo libs in nodeJS NODE_MODULE path? 
I am new to node.js and have not succeed in using kendo library in it yet.
T. Tsonev
Telerik team
answered on 18 Jul 2014, 08:44 AM
Hello,

The Kendo UI library is not a great fit for node.js, as it requires a working DOM to operate.

It is possible in to produce a special-purpose node.js implementation of the Chart, but this is not on our short-term plans.
Please, cast your vote for this on our UserVoice portal.

Regards,
T. Tsonev
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

Tags
Chart
Asked by
Jianxun
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
T. Tsonev
Telerik team
Jianxun
Top achievements
Rank 1