I just want to vent a little more in this thread
Ok great, we have a code cleaner and decompiler now...nice...but we still have a horrible parsing engine for double braces & quotes, and about the worst code templating engine I've ever used.
I think the problem is telerik management has these lofty release cycles (the Qs) and every product needs to have new shiny stuff implemented to show in the webinars and help sell licenses. However the existing features don't ever seem to get updated.
Like we're getting the ability to share\store templates...nice...but building templates still makes me want to gouge my eyes out. It's a constant battle of open the editor, make a change, test it out, open the editor, fix the problem, test it out, give up. And god forbid you need to go back to modify a template and figure out the dogs breakfast of what it's doing.
1) Telerik Reporting, TERRIBLE rendering engine for PDFs....lines overlap, makes the resuting document look sloppy. Been like that forever, fix on the horizon?....nope....but lets add more datasources!
2) WebAii Licensing: <scream>I hate having to register\unregister my work machine and laptop just to build a quick test!</scream> Every other telerik product is per developer, and the Ultimate Collection is not cheap...I don't care if it's an agreement with WebAii or not, you at the very LEAST give me 2 active installs (work machine and home machine). What do you think I'm going to do, torrent my license key or something? I just want to run some unit tests when I get home.
3) Open Access Visual Designer: Pretty gimped (apparently to be fixed in Q1). I have to have an entire unit test project dedicated to making sure minor model changes don't break other things. You'd be AMAZED what gets picked up when you start running tests on the rLinq. But with all the issues it has, someone spent time making an "SDK"...why...why needed this SDK where an entire Q is dedicated to it's development.
4) Telerik Charting: Kill me now, rather than make me work with this code centric chart. Someone please for the love of god develop a designer that we can use to make charting easier, not harder....this falls into the Telerik Reporting bucket as well as it's useless there as well.
5) Telerik Reporting
: Html Report Viewer....want to spend hours making a report look good on a printable page then plop it onto your site so people can page though it?...I think so, pretty logical scenario. We'll you're screwed with the HTML report viewer as it seems to want to combine multiple pages into a long scrolling nightmare. It's all good though, the team doesn't seem to think it's a valid thing to fix, even with multiple people asking for it. Additionally, the viewer elements download as tons of single images instead of a single sprite, so you get to see the viewer "pop" in. I've had this reported forever.
6) JustCode: Double Quotes and double braces...I spend more time trying to delete the second quotes that JC creates for me, than the time it saves. 99% of the time when you report an issue the fix is to shut a feature of JC off....but we have a decompiler now.
7) JustCode: Not respecting my formatting options, or extract method extracts and butts the code up against the left margin which means I have to go in and remove a brace and add it again for auto-formatting to kick in and fix the code style.
8) AspNet Ajax: The assemblies for the controls are already huge, and lots of posts on the forums about the the resource axd sizes, yet no CSS in the entire suite is sent minified....not even on the CDN where every byte costs telerik money (and makes the load faster)
9) WebAii: Active development on a test schedule engine....just for QA only...Developers can go implement their own more complicated solution...and while we're at it, we're going to only really demo the QA edition on telerik TV and webinars.
10) JustCode: Unit Test Runner....On my machine about twice as slow as running the tests native in VS2010...
I use just about every telerik product on a daily basis (aside from JustMock, , and I love reading release notes seeing all the features, but it would excite me just as much to know that existing issues are being addressed instead of just adding more flash. It's all nice and good to put templates as a feature of JC...but they're horrible to use right now.
I should also mention there are a ton of features that I DO love....like the semi-colon moving the cursor, and the block highlighting...but I want to see old problems fixed first.