This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

RadListControl Crashes VS2010 Designer

10 Answers 76 Views
ListControl
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Scott Madeira
Top achievements
Rank 1
Scott Madeira asked on 09 Sep 2010, 08:02 PM
Here is the problem I am having:

1. I created a simple RadForm called form1.cs and added a number of labels, panels and text boxes to it.  I run this form and everything is good.

2. I created a second RadForm called form2.cs and it extends form1.cs.  I run this form and everything works fine.

3. I add a RadListControl to form2.  I run this and the designer view of the form disappears, the program runs, when I exit the program I get an error stating "The designer loader did not provide a root component but has not indicated why."  and the designer view is gone.

4. I close form2.cs, rebuild the project and open form2.cs and it appears in the designer.   As soon as I make any code changes to form2.cs (even as simple as moving the locaiton of a control by one pixel), save and run the file I get the same error listed in step 3.

This only has happened to me with the RadListControl.  textboxes, labels, panels, manu bars, status bars, etc. do not exhibit this behavior.

I have a full solution I can provide that causes the problem.  Tried to open a support ticket but there is no option for the ListControl.  Let me know what I should try next.

BTW, Computer is HP laptop, Windows 7, latest winForms release (Q2 SP1 build 806), VS 2010 Ultimate.  I believe everyting Microsoft is at latest patch level.

10 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Alexander
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Sep 2010, 07:22 AM
I got same problem after updating winforms on build 806 and i dont know what control bugged
Peter
Telerik team
answered on 15 Sep 2010, 12:16 PM
Hello guys,

Thanks for the writing.

We did thorough tests with RadListControl and other RadControls, where the form derives from RadForm (refer to the attached project), because you are the first who report such an issue and we could not reproduce it on our side. Could you please open a new support ticket and send us a sample project where the issue can be reproduced? This will allow me to investigate what control causes the issue and provide you with a helpful response. Thank you for your time and cooperation.

I am looking forward to your reply.

Best wishes,
Peter
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Scott Madeira
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Sep 2010, 12:58 PM
I created a new ticket yesterday and attached my sample project that has the error.  Ticket number is: 347853
Peter
Telerik team
answered on 20 Sep 2010, 04:43 PM
Hello Scott Madeira,

We thoroughly investigated this case and it turns out that Visual Studio 2010 does not support modifications of inherited forms (or user controls) at design-time. We are going to modify our RadListControl in order to prevent the exception from throwing, but this will not add such a support in Visual Studio 2010. That change will be available in our next official release (in a couple of months).

Best wishes,
Peter
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Bruce
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Jan 2015, 04:47 PM
HI,

I am experiencing the same problem with VS 2013 V12.0.31101.00 Update 4 and the latest build for the  RadMultiColumnComboBox.

All I have to do to reproduce the error is resize the control on the winform, run, exit and the error appears in the IDE. Work around is to close the form and click on view designer in solution explorer.

Thanks.

Bruce M
Dimitar
Telerik team
answered on 13 Jan 2015, 03:07 PM
Hi Bruce,

Thank you for writing.

I was not able to reproduce the observed issue with Visual Studio 2013. This is why I have attached my test project. Could you please check it and let me know how to reproduce the issue with it?

It would be better if you open a new support ticket for this and attach a modified version of the project there. 

Thank you in advance for your patience and cooperation. 

Regards,
Dimitar
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

Mark
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 10 Feb 2015, 08:48 PM
All of our developers have the same problem.  We've been using Telerik for 2 years and dozens of times a day we are constantly having to close and reopen our forms that are inherited from a single ancestor form.  All of our global logic is on the ancestor and all the controls are on the descendants.   The app is 100MB so I can't send it to you, but I can tell you that all of the forms doing this are inherited from FormAncestor that contains no controls just a blank form with maybe 200 lines of code in it.  All the telerik controls are on the descendants.

The problem is extremely annoying....are we just stuck with this?
Dimitar
Telerik team
answered on 13 Feb 2015, 01:17 PM
Hello Mark,

Thank you for contacting us.

I still cannot reproduce the issue locally. Could you please check the project attached in my previous post and see if you can reproduce the issue with it.

Also if you have steady way to reproduce this issue you can try to remove all of our controls and add standard controls instead, to check whether it is still replicated.

If this is issue caused by our controls I would like to investigate it and resolve it as we do not want to cause any disruptions in the developing process.

I am looking forward to your reply.

Regards,
Dimitar
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

mostafa
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Jun 2016, 06:47 PM
did you find any solution?
Dimitar
Telerik team
answered on 27 Jun 2016, 08:42 AM
Hi Mostafa,

Thank you for writing.

We are still not able to reproduce and properly investigate this.

I would recommend you to create a separate post for this and include a detailed information about your issue. This way we will be able to investigate it and suggest a solution.

I hope this will be useful.

Regards,
Dimitar
Telerik
Check out the Windows Forms project converter, which aids the conversion process from standard Windows Forms applications written in C# or VB to Telerik UI for WinForms.For more information check out this blog post and share your thoughts.
Tags
ListControl
Asked by
Scott Madeira
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Alexander
Top achievements
Rank 1
Peter
Telerik team