We are using a scenario very similar to the SharePoint example with user controls being loaded into a web part. This has worked very well for us with the previous Telerik controls and now we are going to the newer AJAX suite of controls. However, we cannot get it to work without giving errors. So, we built a small test scenario using the steps below, but no matter the scenario, when a radgrid is on the page, it gives the dreaded "An unexpected error has occurred" error.
Deployment Steps based on this site http://www.telerik.com/help/aspnet-ajax/moss-deploying-radcontrols.html:
1. Drop the .net 3.5 version of the Telerik.Web.UI and Telerik.Web.Design dll's in the GAC
2. Add the safe control references in the web.config
<SafeControl Assembly="Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2009.1.402.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4" Namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" TypeName="*" Safe="True" />
SafeControl Assembly="Telerik.Web.Design, Version=2009.1.402.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4" Namespace="Telerik.Web.Design" TypeName="*" Safe="True" />
3. Reset IIS
4. Build a generic page for testing with this code.
<%@ Page Language="C#" %>
<%@ Register Assembly="Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2009.1.402.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4" Namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" TagPrefix="telerik" %>
<meta name="WebPartPageExpansion" content="full" />
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<meta name="Microsoft Theme" content="SDL 1011, default" />
<body><form id="form1" runat="server">
<telerik:RadGrid ID='grid' runat="server"></telerik:RadGrid>
5. Run the page
6. The result is a SharePoint error like this
An unexpected error has occurred.
Troubleshoot issues with Windows SharePoint Services.
1. Trying multiple sites (same server)
2. Putting the dll's in the _app_bin directory with the previous version of the Telerik controls and adding the references to the web.config
3. When running the grid in the web part, the error occurs before any of the user control code is called.
4. Tried using the 2.0 versions of the dll, but that would require reverting the site, which would break other things.
5. After looking through the log files numerous times and having others look through the SharePoint log files, there does not appear to be any reference to the error that occurred.
6. There were no errors reported in the event logs.
7. The grid does show up in the SharePoint designer.
Any thoughts on what else I might want to look at or try to get this working?