This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

RadFileExplorer

11 Answers 73 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Urban
Top achievements
Rank 1
Urban asked on 23 Dec 2010, 08:41 AM
Now being part of evaluating the future development platform for our coming projects and thus being a potential new user of the Silverlight controls, I am doing some research. A very interesting capability found in the Ajax suite is the RadFileExplorer control but I can not on first looks seem to find this control in the Silverlight package.

Is it included or will it be in the near future (i.e. RadFileExplorer control in the Silverlight control package)?

11 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Nikolay
Telerik team
answered on 27 Dec 2010, 01:26 PM
Hi Urban,

Thanks for your question. 

I agree that the FileExplorer is quite useful control and we will definitely consider it for the next major releases. Right now I cannot set a specific timeframe. However, right after we have concrete plans for this we will include it in the public roadmap.

Regards,
Nick
the Telerik team
Browse the videos here>> to help you get started with RadControls for Silverlight
Bryan Hughes
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Mar 2011, 07:05 PM
Hello,

Is there an update on this?  I have a project that needs functionality of RadSilverLight Control Tile View and inside each Tile View, the functionality of RadFileExplorer.  Is there any update, in the near future, to the SilverLight controls that will have this functionality available? 

I am just starting with the RadSilverLight controls.  Can you use the ASP.NET RadFileExplorer inside a RadSilverLight TileView control?

Thank you
Bryan
Ben Hayat
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 23 Mar 2011, 03:42 PM
I'm also VERY, VERY interested in this control. Please give us an update if this will be available for Q2. Some needed features:
a) Ability for developer at runtime to lock the view to only certain directory on server and it's children and NOT it's parent.
b) Ability for developer to lock or allow to create/edit/delete folders and/or files at runtime.
c) The control should also have caching, so it doesn't have to constantly read the server's directory system and should have a "Refresh" method to refresh;
d) Ability to do drag & drop.
e) Ability to run in RADWindow, so we can have two copies of the control in two Windows and user can drag from one window to another.
f) Will the control use RADTreeView?

Thanks!
..Ben
Nikolay
Telerik team
answered on 23 Mar 2011, 05:24 PM
Hi Ben,

I logged all your suggestion in our backlog. I cannot give you a certain answer on when this control will be available on our side. We will continue gathering ideas and research the specifics of the control. Once we shape a plan I will be able to provide more details.

Regards,
Nick
the Telerik team
Ben Hayat
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 23 Mar 2011, 05:31 PM
Nick, that's all I can ask for. Thank you for responding to the suggestions.
..Ben
Bryan Hughes
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Mar 2011, 06:06 PM
Nick,

Thanks for the update.  As a new user of the RadSilverlight Controls I am still learning.  I see that you have demos of the ASP.NET RadControls and Silverlight RadControls in the same demo.  Can you use the RadFileExplorer inside of the Silverlight RadTileView control?

Thank you,
Bryan
Ben Hayat
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 23 Mar 2011, 06:50 PM
Bryan, I've been contemplating with the same idea of using HTMLPlaceHolder control and run the ASP.Net counter part, but much prefer a native SL control when you need to have direct interaction at runtime rather than going though wrapper.

So, we'll see what the boys at telerik will do :-)
..Ben
Jason Maronge
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Jun 2011, 06:02 AM
I too am interested.  Any update on when/if this be come any time soon?

Jason
Nikolay
Telerik team
answered on 24 Jun 2011, 03:34 PM
Hi Jason Maronge,

First of all, I apologize for the late reply. We have not started working on this task yet. We will definitely discuss it at the Q3 planning meeting (right after the Q2 release due in July) and right after that I'll be able to reveal more details.

I hope this is acceptable for you.

Best wishes,
Nick
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Logan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Feb 2016, 06:27 PM

Hi Nikolay,

Did you guys created file explorer control for silverlight?

Hristo
Telerik team
answered on 26 Feb 2016, 04:02 PM
Hi,

Unfortunately, we do not provide a ready-to-use solution for this exact scenario. I should further inform you that due to the radically decreased interest in Silverlight we decided to considerably reduce the efforts we invest in any new features or new components in our UI for Silverlight offering.

After numerous conversations with some of our clients we confirmed that our product is mature enough and almost feature complete and can be used as is for most of the scenarios out there. That is why we took the hard decision to invest only in maintenance of the existing UI for Silverlight functionality and controls.

Regards,
Hristo
Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Urban
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Nikolay
Telerik team
Bryan Hughes
Top achievements
Rank 1