This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

RadDocking Q2 2011 pre-beta is here!

20 Answers 321 Views
Docking
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Valeri Hristov
Top achievements
Rank 1
Valeri Hristov asked on 12 May 2011, 12:06 PM

Hi everyone,

I am glad to announce the first public build of the upcoming RadDocking Q2 2011, which is intended to address the performance issues in the control under Windows XP and/or high resolutions (WPF). The changes we have made in both the Silverlight and the WPF versions are fairly large and we would like to get as much feedback as possible, so please try the attached assemblies and drop us a line. We are willing to fix all reported bugs by the upcoming official beta release next month and we will not hesitate to give you Telerik points.

What's changed:
- we replaced the base class of ToolWindow, so now the tool windows are not displayed in a large transparent window (the cause of the performance problems), but each of them has a small native window.
- we fixed a frequently reported memory leak.

What's new:
- the tool windows now support the Windows 7 gestures for maximize, minimize, etc.
- ActivePane
- Ability to customize the drag-drop
- Bugfixes

What's coming for the beta
- fixes for a lot of bugs, logged in the PITS, so now is a good time to vote for them.

What does not work now:
- we are aware of several minor bugs and glitches, but please let us know if you find something, as we might have missed it.

The attached assemblies are built against Q1 2011 SP1, so you should be able to test the control in your existing application. We can provide assemblies built against the latest internal builds on demand.

Update: Attached a .NET 4 build.

Update (May 31): Pre-beta 2 binaries.
Update (May 31 -#2): Reuploaded the binaries.

Regards,
Valeri Hristov
Telerik

20 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Rieni De Rijke
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 May 2011, 01:18 PM
We are using the Telerik components from 19.04.2011. product version: 2011.1.0419.40
Just replaced the Telerik.Windows.Controls.Docking with your new dll in all our projects. Cleaned, build, rebuild, cleaned...

Exception: Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Windows.Controls.Navigation, Version=2011.1.419.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5803cfa389c90ce7' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)
Bohdan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 May 2011, 09:02 AM
Just try to add RadDocking component to my Toolbox tab and i got exception:
There was an error loading types from assembly xxx\Telerik.Windows.Controls.Docking.dll. Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Windows.Controls, Version =2011.1.419.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5803cfa389c90ce7' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

RadControls for WPF Q1 2011 SP1 already installed... 
Adam Marshall
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 May 2011, 10:04 PM
I think the given assemblies are .net 2.0, are you trying to use .net 4?
Bohdan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 May 2011, 10:24 PM
Yep i am using .net 4
Adam Marshall
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 May 2011, 10:26 PM
That will be why then, hopefully we get some .Net 4 assemblies.
I'm keen to try this beta too!
Per
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 May 2011, 02:36 PM
Can we expect a .Net 4 version of the assembly? Would be nice to try it out :)
Valeri Hristov
Telerik team
answered on 25 May 2011, 03:00 PM
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your interest in our pre-beta release! We appreciate your feedback.

Please, find attached the .NET 4 build of RadDocking for WPF.

By the way, we are finishing a new feature that will enter the next update - Active Pane (ability to know which is the active pane and to activate a specific pane). The new build is expected early next week, as we have a few things to polish.

Regards,
Valeri Hristov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Per
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 May 2011, 12:15 PM
Have tried the beta assemblies and found that when using the following XAML for a Window the compass is misplaced when trying do dock a floating document to the document host. The Window have to be maximized for the bug to happen, when the Window is not maximized it's working as expected.
If you want to I can mail you a screenshot of the problem, couldn't find an attach image function in the forum.

<Window x:Class="WpfApplicationTelerikTest.DockingBetaTest"
        Title="DockingBetaTest" Height="600" Width="800">
    <telerik:RadDocking>
        <telerik:RadSplitContainer>
            <telerik:RadPaneGroup>
                <telerik:RadPane Header="Server Explorer"/>
                <telerik:RadPane Header="Toolbox"/>
                <telerik:RadPane Header="Properties"/>
            </telerik:RadPaneGroup>
        </telerik:RadSplitContainer>
        <telerik:RadDocking.DocumentHost>
            <telerik:RadSplitContainer>
                <telerik:RadPaneGroup>
                    <telerik:RadPane Header="Doc1"/>
                    <telerik:RadPane Header="Doc2"/>
                    <telerik:RadPane Header="Doc3"/>
                </telerik:RadPaneGroup>
            </telerik:RadSplitContainer>
        </telerik:RadDocking.DocumentHost>
    </telerik:RadDocking>
</Window>

Also, most (all?) of the animations that existed in earlier versions are gone, is this something that will be added again in the final release?
Valeri Hristov
Telerik team
answered on 31 May 2011, 12:22 PM
Hello Everyone,

A new build was uploaded, see the first post for a download link.

@Per - we will do our best to enable the animations for the official release in July.

Kind regards,
Valeri Hristov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Adam Marshall
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 31 May 2011, 11:56 PM
Hi,

The docking looks great, so many improvements!

Is there a list somewhere of the changes made so far or some sort of partial documentation?

Regarding MVVM usage, is the ItemsSource property of RadPaneGroup now supported? Or do we still need to use something along the lines of the PaneGroupExtensions AP?

I cannot get the Docking.Unpin and PreviewUnpin events fire, (I am unpinning programmatically using the pane.MakeFloatingDockable(), is this still correct?)

The ToolWindow MinHeight and MinWidth properties don't appear to be obeyed.

I am not able to edit styles in Blend, or create the RadDocking control properly, it runs ok, but I get a xaml error:
"Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Windows.Data, Version=2011.1.419.40, Culture, PublicKeyToken='5803cfa389c90ce7' or one of its dependencies, The system cannot find the file specified."

Is there a SizeToContent Property on the ToolWindow? Right now the ToolWindow doesn't size itself to the Content it is displaying. I am displaying Content using ViewModels and application wide DataTemplates.

Thanks!

Adam Marshall

Miroslav Nedyalkov
Telerik team
answered on 07 Jun 2011, 01:33 PM
Hello Adam,

Good to hear that you like the new version of the Docking control.

Currently we don't have official list of improvements, but you could refer to first post in this thread where Valeri enumerated the improvements we are targeting.

About the ItemsSource property of the RadPaneGroup - we are currently not planning to implement it. You still need to use the work-around you mentioned.

The MakeFloatingDockable doesn't unpin the pane - that's why the event is not fired. Unpinning basically is when the pane goes to the AutoHide area. When it is floated only the PaneStateChange event is fired.

The MinWidth and MinHeight properties of the ToolWindow will be respected - this feature is just not implemented yet. Please notice that this is about the MinWidth/Height of the ToolWindow control, but not the Pane or PaneGroup.

The error may occur because the assembly is not placed along with the other 2011 Q1 SP1 assemblies. The pre-beta version of the Docking control refers these assemblies.

We are not planning to allow SizeToContent of the ToolWindows yet. The problem is that the SplitContainers (which are basically the content of the ToolWindow) are designed to be placed in a container with fixed size and that's the reason this feature doesn't work yet.

Hope this answers are helpful.

Best wishes,
Miroslav Nedyalkov
the Telerik team
Greg Kreder
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 13 Jun 2011, 08:22 PM
Hi,
    We are using .Net Framework 3.5 and took updated Pre-Beta DLL that is attached within the issue for .Net framework 4.0 as well as older version. But both the time while loading screen we are issue following error.

Type: System.IO.FileLoadException
Method: Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Events.EventSubscription`1.InvokeAction
Message: "Could not load file or assembly 'Telerik.Windows.Controls.Docking, Version=2011.1.315.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5803cfa389c90ce7' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)"

Let us know how can we have this fixed as we are in Production.

Thanks,
Greg
Valeri Hristov
Telerik team
answered on 14 Jun 2011, 12:54 PM
Hi Greg,

Probably you need to recompile the application? You cannot just replace the assemblies, because they have different version. Probably you should try to add bindingRedirect elements in your app.config, but I cannot say what will be the final result:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/eftw1fys.aspx

All the best,
Valeri Hristov
the Telerik team
Angel
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 08 Jul 2011, 04:13 AM
Hi,

I got an application that has some tabs and in each of them there is a Rad Docking that worked perfectly with Q1, but when I tried this Q2 beta  controls the Rad panes inside the tab lost their functionality I cannot drag them, make them float or move to another docking position. I have to move them with right click menu.,

Weird thing is that it works with the default WPF TabControl.

Another problem/bug I found is that after I resized a Window the docking positions that appear when I am dragging a RadPane are misplaced. I provide a link to clarify the problem.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/197/problemraddocking.jpg/
Boyan
Telerik team
answered on 13 Jul 2011, 10:38 AM
Hi Angel,

We are aware of the first issue, however it won't make it for Q2 which is due this week. We will continue to make improvement and fix some bugs after Q2.

The second issue is caused by maximizing the Window that holds the RadDocking. It is already fixed and the fix will be included in Q2.

Thank you for your feedback.

Kind regards,
Boyan
the Telerik team

Register for the Q2 2011 What's New Webinar Week. Mark your calendar for the week starting July 18th and book your seat for a walk through of all the exciting stuff we will ship with the new release!

Julian
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Aug 2011, 01:19 PM
Hi,
Two questions:

1) MakeFloatinOnly() doesn't works anymore ?
2) How to start the Floating Window in any place of window that I'd like to.
 In old version we did something like that:
popUp+=(s,e)=>
{
  var toolWindow = VisualUtils.FindParentOfType<ToolWindow>(s as DependancyObject)
  toolWindow.HorisontalOffset = ....
  toolWindow.VerticalOffset = ....
}

how should we use it with new implementation of docking ?

Julian
Miroslav Nedyalkov
Telerik team
answered on 25 Aug 2011, 03:28 PM
Hello Julian,

1) MakeFloatingOnly method of the RadPane control should fork as before. Could you please share with your code or a sample project that demonstrates this matter?
2) This code doesn't work as we changed the names of the properties - they are now called Left and Top. The y are used the same way as the old ones. 

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Miroslav Nedyalkov
the Telerik team

Thank you for being the most amazing .NET community! Your unfailing support is what helps us charge forward! We'd appreciate your vote for Telerik in this year's DevProConnections Awards. We are competing in mind-blowing 20 categories and every vote counts! VOTE for Telerik NOW >>

Julian
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Aug 2011, 03:52 PM
Hi Miroslav,

Thanks for quick response.
Here is my old code:

public void ShowPopup(MyViewModel info, Style popupStyle)
{

var panelGroup = container.Resolve<RadPaneGroup>();
var popUp = container.Resolve<RadPane>();
panelGroup.PropogateItemDataContextToContent = false;
popUp.Style = popupStyle)
popUp.Loaded+=(s,e)=>
{
  var toolWindow = VisualUtils.FindParentOfType<ToolWindow>(s as DependencyObject);
  toolWindow.VerticalOffset = verticalOffset;
  toolWindow.HorisontalOffset = horisontalOffset;
};

popUp.Content = info;
regionManager.AddToRegion(RegionNames.MyRegion, panelGroup);
panelGroup.Items.Add(popUp);
popUp.MakeFloatingOnly();

}

thanks,
Julian
Julian
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Aug 2011, 08:19 AM
Hi Guys,

Any news so far ?

Julian
Miroslav Nedyalkov
Telerik team
answered on 30 Aug 2011, 08:42 AM
Hello Julian,

I tried your scenario without PRISM and Unitiy (which should be the problem) and the floating only pane appears correctly. I'm attaching the sample project I used. Could you please take a look at it and let me know if I'm missing something? As we are making this thread read-only I would ask you to open a new one for your response.

All the best,
Miroslav Nedyalkov
the Telerik team

Thank you for being the most amazing .NET community! Your unfailing support is what helps us charge forward! We'd appreciate your vote for Telerik in this year's DevProConnections Awards. We are competing in mind-blowing 20 categories and every vote counts! VOTE for Telerik NOW >>

Tags
Docking
Asked by
Valeri Hristov
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Rieni De Rijke
Top achievements
Rank 1
Bohdan
Top achievements