This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

RadDocking Q2 2011 pre-beta is here!

8 Answers 348 Views
Docking
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Valeri Hristov
Top achievements
Rank 1
Valeri Hristov asked on 12 May 2011, 12:05 PM

Hi everyone,

I am glad to announce the first public build of the upcoming RadDocking Q2 2011, which is intended to address the performance issues in the control under Windows XP and/or high resolutions (WPF). The changes we have made in both the Silverlight and the WPF versions are fairly large and we would like to get as much feedback as possible, so please try the attached assemblies and drop us a line. We are willing to fix all reported bugs by the upcoming official beta release next month and we will not hesitate to give you Telerik points.

What's changed:
- we replaced the base class of ToolWindow, so now the tool windows are not displayed in a large transparent window (the cause of the performance problems), but each of them has a small native window.
- we fixed a frequently reported memory leak.

What's new:
- the tool windows now support the Windows 7 gestures for maximize, minimize, etc.

What's comming up in the next pre-beta update:
- ActivePane
- fixes for a lot of bugs, logged in the PITS, so now is a good time to vote for them.

What does not work now:
- we are aware of several minor bugs and glitches, but please let us know if you find something, as we might have missed it.

The attached assemblies are built against Q1 2011 SP1, so you should be able to test the control in your existing application. We can provide assemblies built against the latest internal builds on demand.

Regards,
Valeri Hristov
Telerik

8 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Adam Marshall
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 May 2011, 09:20 PM
Hi,

Any chance of .net 4 WPF assemblies?

Thanks,

Adam Marshall
John Schroedl
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 24 May 2011, 09:03 PM

First, losing the top-level window has fixed a number of the problems we hit. wohoo! That's good. Will try with citrix soon.

A few things I've noticed in the first hour of trying things:

1. The following XAML no longer loade with the update.

<Style TargetType="radDock:RadGridResizer">
    <Setter Property="Focusable" Value="False" />
</Style>

2. When a pane is floated, it loses the PaneTitleTemplate I've got set.

3.When I float a pane, I don't get the LayoutChangeEnded event like I used to. I use this as a signal to save the new layout. Is there a different event to use or is this one of those known bugs?

John
Miroslav Nedyalkov
Telerik team
answered on 25 May 2011, 11:51 AM
Hello,

Adam, we will include .NET 4 for next pre-beta version, where some other fixes will be included.

John, thank you for reporting us these issues. We will investigate them and hopefully will fix them for the next pre-beta version or the official beta version. Could please explain what do you mean by saying that the XAML no longer load?

Greetings,
Miroslav Nedyalkov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
John Schroedl
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 25 May 2011, 01:55 PM
Good news - my issue #1 went away when I updated our other assemblies to a newer release build. We are using an older 2010 build while waiting for the docking fixes so I updated my machine to test out the pre-alpha. 

John
Dave
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 31 May 2011, 04:11 PM
This does seem to improve the animation of the compass. However animation of the preview position box (if that's what it is called) is slow.
I'm tempted to turn that animation off.
Miroslav Nedyalkov
Telerik team
answered on 06 Jun 2011, 07:46 AM
Hi Dave,

This animations (of the compass and of the ToolWindows) are currently switched off in the pre-beta version, but we are planning to switch them on once we are ready with the other features and bug fixes.

Kind regards,
Miroslav Nedyalkov
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
pompomJuice
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 Sep 2011, 02:33 PM
RadPane seems to have picked up some issues in SL5 RC.

Somewhere in between the process of upgrading Telerik from 2011.1.419.1040 to 2011.2.712.1040 and SL4 -> SL5b -> SL5 RC our docking enhancements broke. I have narrowed the problem down to where I set RadPane's Content property in code behind. I get a "Value does not fall within the expected range" Exception deep inside MS.Internal.XcpImports.CheckHResult(UInt32 hr) where it is still warm.

What to do?

public partial class MainPage : UserControl
    {
        public MainPage()
        {
            InitializeComponent();
        }

private void Button_Click(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
        {
            //Value does not fall within the expected range.
            //at MS.Internal.XcpImports.CheckHResult(UInt32 hr)
            //at MS.Internal.XcpImports.SetValue(IManagedPeerBase obj, DependencyProperty property, String s)
            //at MS.Internal.XcpImports.SetValue(IManagedPeerBase doh, DependencyProperty property, Object obj)
            //at System.Windows.DependencyObject.SetObjectValueToCore(DependencyProperty dp, Object value)
            //at System.Windows.DependencyObject.SetEffectiveValue(DependencyProperty property, EffectiveValueEntry& newEntry, Object newValue)
            //at System.Windows.DependencyObject.UpdateEffectiveValue(DependencyProperty property, EffectiveValueEntry oldEntry, EffectiveValueEntry& newEntry, ValueOperation operation)
            //at System.Windows.DependencyObject.SetValueInternal(DependencyProperty dp, Object value, Boolean allowReadOnlySet, Boolean isBindingInStyleSetter)
            //at System.Windows.Controls.ContentControl.set_Content(Object value)
            //at SilverlightApplication1.MainPage.Button_Click(Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
            //at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnClick()
            //at System.Windows.Controls.Button.OnClick()
            //at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnMouseLeftButtonUp(MouseButtonEventArgs e)
            //at System.Windows.Controls.Control.OnMouseLeftButtonUp(Control ctrl, EventArgs e)
            //at MS.Internal.JoltHelper.FireEvent(IntPtr unmanagedObj, IntPtr unmanagedObjArgs, Int32 argsTypeIndex, Int32 actualArgsTypeIndex, String eventName, UInt32 flags)
            var v = new RadPane { Content = "" };
        }
    }
Miroslav Nedyalkov
Telerik team
answered on 07 Sep 2011, 07:49 AM
Hi Pompomjuice,

We are currently working on supporting SL5, but it is not ready yet. Thank you for providing us this information. We will take a look at this problem, too.

Regards,
Miroslav Nedyalkov
the Telerik team

Thank you for being the most amazing .NET community! Your unfailing support is what helps us charge forward! We'd appreciate your vote for Telerik in this year's DevProConnections Awards. We are competing in mind-blowing 20 categories and every vote counts! VOTE for Telerik NOW >>

Tags
Docking
Asked by
Valeri Hristov
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Adam Marshall
Top achievements
Rank 1
John Schroedl
Top achievements