This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

RadControls and VS2010 Beta 2 problem

13 Answers 244 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Mikael Kleinwort
Top achievements
Rank 1
Mikael Kleinwort asked on 26 Oct 2009, 04:01 PM
I did a clean install of VS2010 Beta2 n a new computer. I installed RadControls Ajax and OpenAccess. Using the latest internal builds (RadControls build 1007 and OA build 1031) installed the teleik extensions in CS2010 properly. The regular 2009 Q2 SP1 version did not install the VS extensions.

ALl seems to work fine at runtime, however, when I edit aspx pages containing RadControls in VS2010 Beta2, the tagPrefix telerik is not recognized altough the proper referebces have been made (and all was working fine in VS2008). The telerik tag prefixes are underlined in code view, no control properties are being shown for radControls and in design view it shows a rendering error because the telerik assembly could not be loaded.

These seem to be all VS20210 related errors. The project still runs fine both on the VS development server and in IIS. Is trhere a way to get around this, it is hard to code the RadControls without any help from VS (intellisense, property pages etc.)

Regards, Mikael

13 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Paul
Telerik team
answered on 26 Oct 2009, 04:09 PM
Hi Mikael Kleinwort,

Thanks for the report. It has been logged and we'll definitely research the case. BTW, you can download and try RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX Q3 2009 Beta.

Regards,
Paul
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Mikael Kleinwort
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Oct 2009, 09:12 PM
Hello Paul,

thank you for your response.

I tried Q3 beta, the problem remains with VS2010 beta 2 as described above. Just to let you know.

Regards, Mikael
Steve Y
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 28 Oct 2009, 01:19 PM
I'm having the same problem. I have a functional project that works fine in vs2008 but when I copy the project to vs2010 the telerik tags are not active.

I have a control section in web.config which declares the telerik resource and tag name. It compiles and runs fine.

<controls> 
                <add tagPrefix="asp" namespace="System.Web.UI" assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/> 
                <add tagPrefix="asp" namespace="System.Web.UI.WebControls" assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/> 
                <add tagPrefix="Telerik" namespace="Telerik.Web.UI" assembly="Telerik.Web.UI"/> 

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Steve
David
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Oct 2009, 03:28 PM
Ditto, per the above, squigglies -

Any word on a fix?
Mikael Kleinwort
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Oct 2009, 10:27 PM
Paul,

as additional information:

in design view, RadScriptManager and RadAjaxPanel show the reported "Error Rendering Control" messages and no properties / intellisense etc. works for those controls. If I do drag such controls onto the page from the toolbox, they do not get an id assigned, although the runat="server" attribute has been added. I need to manually add the id attribute.

Other Telerik controls like HttpPanel, TextBox etc. do show up correctly in design view and can be edited.

If I have controls inside of a RadAjaxPanel, they don't show in design view (only the error message shows). In source view, telerik controls insode of a RadAjaxPanel do not display the property page. Regular asp.net controls do display their property page normally.

In source view, the tag prefix telerik is unrecognized for any Telerik control.

regards, Mikael
Paul
Telerik team
answered on 30 Oct 2009, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Yes, we are aware of most of the issues and we are working on fixing them. However, please have in mind that the IDE is still in beta and some of the issue are caused by VS itself. So I guess, we all have to wait MS to finish their part of the job.

Best wishes,
Paul
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Shaun Peet
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 13 Nov 2009, 03:46 AM
I'm also having the same issue as reported, but can add another wrinkle into the mix, and perhaps a solution for others.  I have two machines as follows:

Machine 1: Laptop running Windows 7 Pro Final, VS2008 Web, VS2010 Beta 2, Q3 2009 ASP.NET AJAX
Machine 2: Desktop running Windows 7 RC (Ultimate), VS2008 Pro, VS2010 Beta 2, Q3 2009 ASP.NET AJAX

On Machine 2, I was having issues with intellisense in VS2010 after installing VS, then installing Q3, then opening an existing project in the new IDE.  Resetting to default settings in the Import/Export settings dialog, and restarting VS fixed that problem.  Hopefully that will help out somebody else (it was suggested on Rick Strahl's blog regarding js intellisense and just happened to work for this too).

Unfortunately, doing the same thing on Machine 1 does NOT work, but I'm guessing that there's got to be a setting somewhere buried in the VS 2010 options which will fix the issue; just not sure which one.  If anybody has suggestions I'm all ears!
Shaun Peet
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 13 Nov 2009, 04:02 AM
Ha!  Within minutes of the last post I tried "resetting" to a different development setting (General, in my case), and the intellisense worked.  Just for fun, I then reset all settings back to Web Development and intellisense still works!  yay!
Xingchen Liu
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 13 Nov 2009, 03:11 PM
Nicholas Westbrook
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Jan 2010, 07:17 PM
@Shaun Peet: How do you get to the setting you spoke of? I'm having the same issues and wanted to try that method of getting around it.
Shaun Peet
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 25 Jan 2010, 07:35 PM
Hi Nicholas,

Use Tools -> Import & Export Settings to open the wizard.  Then select "Reset all settings", click next, choose "No, just reset settings, overwriting my current settings", click next, then select the collection of settings to reset to, and click Finish.

Incidentally, Telerik has since posted another work-around which seems to work in some cases as well essentially:
1) Open a project, and open any page containing a RadControl, and switch to design view.
2) Keep that page open, and close Visual Studio
3) Restart Visual Studio, and re-open that same project, which should automatically re-open that same page in design mode.
4) Keep that page open, and open another page with a RadControl on it.  Switch from design view to source view; ensuring that the intellisense is working in source view.
5) Close both pages, close Visual Studio, and re-open.

I've used both methods independantly, and combinations of both methods, combined with shooting stars, "Hail Mary"s, and lucky rabbit's foots until it started working.  The good news is that once VS starts behaving, it seems to want to continue to do so until the next Telerik update.  Hope that helps,

Shaun.
Nicholas Westbrook
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Jan 2010, 07:46 PM
Thank you for the info. I wasn't able to get the settings switch method to work, but I tried the design mode method and that worked!
Eliza Sahoo
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 04 May 2010, 08:18 AM
To enable it open an aspx page and  follow the following steps:

1. Click on  "View"
2. Click on  "Formatting Marks"
3. Click on  "Show"
4. Repeat step-1 and step-2
5. Click on "Tag Marks"
Now tags will be shown in the design view.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Mikael Kleinwort
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Paul
Telerik team
Mikael Kleinwort
Top achievements
Rank 1