This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

RadCompression and SharePoint 2010

9 Answers 70 Views
Sharepoint Integration
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
ADAM LYTLE
Top achievements
Rank 1
ADAM LYTLE asked on 27 Oct 2010, 03:45 PM
After adding all the Telerik entires into the web.config of my SharePoint 2010 site the Teleirk controls were working fine. Problem was, I kept noticing other issues like, not being able to connect to the site with SharePoint Designer 2010 (it kept asking for credentials) and not being able to create a new view (was getting error: Cannot complete this action. Please try again.) After many, many hours troubleshooting by several people we were able to narrow it down to the Telerik entries in the web.config. After a couple more hours I discovered that it was directly caused by the RadCompressionModule entry in the web.config. After removing this entry, everything worked great.

Hope this saves someone else some time!
Thanks.
John Perry

9 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Tsvetoslav
Telerik team
answered on 01 Nov 2010, 06:01 PM
Hi JIM,

Once again thank you for sharing your discovery of the issue under discussion and taking the pains to caution other developers to the benefit of saving their time.

Regards,
Tsvetoslav
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
romeu sepulcri
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Nov 2010, 04:59 PM
Me too.
After successfully integrating the RadControls and use Visual WebParts had a problem with editing by Sharepoint Designer and also modify the list view.
Tsvetoslav
Telerik team
answered on 12 Nov 2010, 03:09 PM
Hello romeu,

We shall need more time to investigated the issue.

Greetings,
Tsvetoslav
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Tsvetoslav
Telerik team
answered on 22 Nov 2010, 01:50 PM
Hello romeu, hi Jim,

Unfortunately we were not able to find out the real cause of the problem with RadCompression under SP 2010 as this requires very deep insight into the underpinnings of SharePoint and at what point and in what way the CMS is tampering with the response from the server. However, I am glad to inform you that still there is a solution to the issue. Just exclude the _vti_bin virtual folder from the compressed response as follows:

<telerik.web.ui>
  <radCompression enablePostbackCompression="true">
    <excludeHandlers>
      <add handlerPath="_vti_bin/" matchExact="false" />
    </excludeHandlers>
  </radCompression>
</telerik.web.ui>

Thanks for the understanding.

Greetings,
Tsvetoslav
the Telerik team
Browse the vast support resources we have to jumpstart your development with RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. See how to integrate our AJAX controls seamlessly in SharePoint 2007/2010 visiting our common SharePoint portal.
Nick Larter
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Apr 2011, 05:16 PM

Some additional information that may help other users experiencing this problem...

You first need to register a new config section, then paste the RadCompression settings as follows:

<configSections
    <sectionGroup name="telerik.web.ui"
        <section name="radCompression" type="Telerik.Web.UI.RadCompressionConfigurationSection, Telerik.Web.UI, Version=2011.1.315.35, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=121fae78165ba3d4" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication" requirePermission="false"/> 
    </sectionGroup
</configSections
<telerik.web.ui
    <radCompression enablePostbackCompression="true"
        <excludeHandlers
        </excludeHandlers
    </radCompression
</telerik.web.ui>
Tsvetoslav
Telerik team
answered on 13 Apr 2011, 02:48 PM
Hello Nick,

Thanks for explicitly bringing out this detail. 

Regards,
Tsvetoslav
the Telerik team

Browse the vast support resources we have to jump start your development with RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. See how to integrate our AJAX controls seamlessly in SharePoint 2007/2010 visiting our common SharePoint portal.

Nick Larter
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Apr 2011, 12:34 PM
I have noticed an issue with the solution described above. Whilst using RadCompression an error page will displayed whenever the SharePoint 2010 "processing" page should be displayed, e.g. when deleting a subsite.

To replicate this issue follow these steps:
  • update the Web.config file as described in the above posts
  • create a subsite (I used a blog in my instance)
  • delete it via site the Site Settngs > Delete this site link

The site is actually deleted, but the "processing" dialog is not displayed, and it isn't redirected to the "Your site has been deleted." page once the operation has completed.

If I removing the RadCompression entries from the Web.config file and retry these steps, everything works as expected.

Tsvetoslav
Telerik team
answered on 20 Apr 2011, 12:54 PM
Hi Nick,

Does excluding the _controltemplates/ or _layourts/ folder from the RadCompression processing makes any difference on your side? 

Best wishes,
Tsvetoslav
the Telerik team

Browse the vast support resources we have to jump start your development with RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. See how to integrate our AJAX controls seamlessly in SharePoint 2007/2010 visiting our common SharePoint portal.

Nick Larter
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Apr 2011, 10:09 AM
Yes, excluding the layouts folder fixed this problem, thank-you. The "deleting your site" page is now displayed as expected. My Web.config now looks like this: 

<telerik.web.ui>
    <radCompression enablePostbackCompression="true">
        <excludeHandlers>
            <add handlerPath="_layouts/" matchExact="false" />
        </excludeHandlers>
    </radCompression>
</telerik.web.ui>

Tags
Sharepoint Integration
Asked by
ADAM LYTLE