RadComboBox Autocomplete

4 posts, 1 answers
  1. Broken
    Broken avatar
    3 posts

Posted 19 Jul 2011 Link to this post

I can't figure out how to implement autocomplete functionality using your ComboBox.

In XAML I have:
    <telerik:RadComboBox IsEditable="True" ItemsSource="{Binding ItemList}" Text="{Binding ItemText, Mode=TwoWay}"/>

In ViewModel I have:

private string _itemText;
            public string ItemText
                get { return _itemText; }
                    _itemText = value;
            private ObservableCollection<Item> _Items;

public ObservableCollection<Item> Items
                get { return _Items; }
                    _Items = value;
            private void GetItems()
                _service.BeginGetItems(ItemText, 0, (ar) => Items = _service.EndGetItems(ar), null);
    And of course this doesn't work because autofill will messup ItemText, there should be some kind of SearchText property on Combobox which contains text without autofill to which I can bind to, but I have not found one.

2. Answer
    Valeri Hristov
    Valeri Hristov avatar
    2252 posts

Posted 22 Jul 2011 Link to this post

You are right, you need a propertly like SearchText in order to use custom autocomplete, but RadComboBox does not have such property yet.

The best that you could do is to disable the integrated autocomplete and the filter and implement a custom filter, like the attached application.

Kind regards,
    Valeri Hristov
    the Telerik team

Register for the Q2 2011 What's New Webinar Week. Mark your calendar for the week starting July 18th and book your seat for a walk through of all the exciting stuff we will ship with the new release!

3. DevCraft R3 2016 release webinar banner
  4. Jenny
    Jenny avatar
    1 posts

Posted 12 Jun 2012 Link to this post

Is the solution presented in this forum still the most up to date method of achieving on demand loading with the Silverlight RadComboBox?
    If not please provide an updated example.

5. Yana
    Yana avatar
    4547 posts

Posted 13 Jun 2012 Link to this post

Hello Jenny,

Yes, this is the latest solution, you should be able to use it without a problem.

the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading the Ultimate Collection trial package. Get it now >>