This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

q1 2010 SP1

16 Answers 325 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Michael Josiah
Top achievements
Rank 1
Michael Josiah asked on 22 Apr 2010, 02:11 PM
When is this coming out?

16 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Dimitar Kapitanov
Telerik team
answered on 23 Apr 2010, 07:50 AM
Hello Michael Josiah,
We are targeting next week for releasing our VS2010 support for our Visual Designer. Because I know we had a discussion about DTOs, I must add that the support will not be in this release - we are just starting to work on this feature.

Regards,
Dimitar Kapitanov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
Michael Josiah
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Apr 2010, 12:36 PM
Hi

That's disappointing that the DTO's will not be ready. So with the exception of vs2010 support what new features should I be looking forward to in this service pack?

Thanks
sitefinitysteve
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Veteran
answered on 24 Apr 2010, 02:26 AM
The latest internal builds has some juicy tidbits :)

Telerik.OpenAccess_2010_1_0414_3_dev

Telerik OpenAccess ORM Q1 2010 Custom Build 1 Release Notes (v2010.01.0414)

Enhancements

• OpenAccessDataSource is not working with the new OpenAccess version. - The OpenAccessDataSource is not working with the new OpenAccess version as it only searches for ObjectScopeProvider and classes marked with the PersistentAttribute. It should also support the new OpenAccessContext and it must be able to obtain the IObjectScope out of it as the datasource operates with a scope. It should also look for the classes that are related to the context even that they are not marked with the Persistent attribute.

Fixes

• OQL: NVARCHAR comparisons are not handled correctly. - When filtering is done against a NVARCHAR field, the resulting SQL should place an 'N' before the string that is compared against.
    Example: SELECT...WHERE p.Name = 'Александър'. This should be N'Aлександър'.
  • DSL: OpenAccess generates un-compilable code when the tables reside in multiple schemas. - The attributes generation has some glitches that are only visible when generating models that contain multiple schemas. We generate something like:
    Table("Address"SchemaName = "Person", )] and it should be: Table("Address", SchemaName = "Person")]
  • Null reference exception in the MetadataConverter while reading Oracle schemas. - The ParameterDefinitionsOld collection of the relational procedure is null.
  • ObjectContainer.CopyTo throws null reference exception - If an existing object in the container has a collection of other persistent objects and this collection is set to null instead of referencing an empty collection, a null reference exception is thrown in CopyTo or CommitChanges.
  • Attributes metadata source does not filter out the events from the persistent classes. - Durring metadata collection, event members are read as normal fields of persistent classes. We must filter out every delegate member of the persistent classes.
  • OpenAccess throws exceptions when we try to persist an object that contains a decimal property. - The reason for the behavior is that the schema reader returns "money" columns with 0 Length. That is different from the default value but we must avoid serializing it nevertheless.
  • DefaultMapping maps a 'nullable' column to a property of 'non-nullable' CLR Type. - The TypeResolver returns the value based on the underlying type, disregarding the nullability of the column.
  • One-to-many relations are not always correctly resolved when attributes mapping is used. - The creation of the inverse collections depends on the existence of the master members. They should always be read after we are sure all master members are resolved.
  • LINQ: Accessing the Value property of a query parameter leads to an exception - When accessing the Value property of a Nullable<X> instance that is used a as query parameter, an exeption is thrown.
    Workaround: Avoid using nullable query arguments.
  • Error with OpenAccessDataSource and RadGrid when filtering on decimal field is being performed - In case of filtering in RadGrid binded to OpenAccessDataSource on decimal field a Telerik.OpenAccess.Exceptions.QueryException is being thrown.
  • VistaDB assembly requiered in .NET 4.0 asp application - If you are using OpenAccess with .NET 4.0 and the ajax script manager the VistaDB assembly is necessary. This dependency has to be removed.
  • L2 Cache Synchronization failure - The L2 cache synchronization using MSMQ fails immediately due to a timeout exception.
  • Many-to-many colections are not handling CUD operations on the slave end - In an m:n association, if one adds a new persistent object in the collection of the slave member, the objects is persisted, but no entry in the join table is being written.
  • LINQ: InvalidCastException when anonymous types are used coming from multiple dynamically created sources - When LINQ queries are generated by tools that themselves compile the linq expressions, anonymous types are created in a duplicate fashion (same structured type can exist multiple times in the process). This can generate invalid cast exceptions when reading the LINQ result set.
  • Inability to pass Unicode strings to SQL queries and stored procedure invocations - When using SQL queries or stored procedures through the IObjectScope.GetSqlQuery() method, there was no way to specify that a passed string (or an out parameter) should be handled correctly for non-western character sets (like arab, mahrati, bulgarian). The strings were passed as VARCHAR instead of a Unicode capable type like NVARCHAR/VARCHAR2.
    In order to use unicode string parameters, one must specify "NVARCHAR p1" for an input paramter with name p1 and "OUT.NVARCHAR p2" for an output parameter p2 in the type declaration of the GetSqlQuery() method.
  • OpenAccessDataSource is not using the Insert or Update parameters when those operations are being executed. - The OpenAccessDataSource exposes the Insert and Update parameters as well as the Where and Order By, but it only uses the later two for SELECT operations. The Insert and Update parameters are not taken into acount when the coresponding operations are being executed.
  • LINQ: Using ternary operator (x ? t : f) fails when t and f compare for equality - When using the ternary operator with an equality operation in the true or false part, the generated SQL is wrong.
  • LINQ: Runtime support for DateTime.Date property; Throwing an exception when DateTime property is not supported. - When the property DateTime.Date is accessed, the correct SQL code for extracting the date part is not generated and no exception message appears.
  • DSL: Potential difference between enhancement and runtime settings leading to unloaded primitive fields - When the new designer is used, there is a potential difference in the way default fetch group fields are calculated during runtime and designtime. This can lead to incorrect values (nulls) showing up as the field content.
  • MSDE not detected as free database - The Microsoft Desktop Engine (MSDE) is a free database and the OpenAccess express edition should support it.
  • Serialize to blob not working with new metadata - If a field is marked as SerializeToBlob in the new metadata definition the enhancer throws a type not supported exception if the referenced type is not persistent.
  • Persistent Types are not always corectly resolved in Visual Basic projects - The problem comes from the fact that the full name of the clr types in Visual basic is different then the one in C#. In visual basic, the namespace is different then the one in the VB .NET code, the difference is that in the runtime the default project namespace is added to as prefix to the class namespace as well.
  • The namespace of the OpenAccess classes is not changed when the user changes the namespace of the model from the model settings dialog - The namespace of the classes remains the same even if they have been in the default namespace and the user has changed that namespace.
  • The Add new item wizard does not allow to select Oracle ODP connections - When a connection using the ODP driver is selected on page one, advancing to page two is not possible.
  • DSL: Adding self-reference associations to a class is not possible - When a class is not associated with a self-reference constraint, adding such relation is not possible in the designer.
  • Details editor: The list view in the relationships page should not allow sorting - The listview items are not ordered properly when sorting by column is applied.
  • Code Generation: Namespaces are not handled correctly in VB.NET - When a RootNamespace was used, it is also generated inside the files, thus rendering the root namespace twice. Also when custom namespaces were used, invalid Imports statements were generate. If Root Namespace was String.Empty, namespaces were not generated correctly as well

Michael Josiah
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 04 May 2010, 11:37 AM
This seems to have been delayed. Any reasons why?
Dimitar Kapitanov
Telerik team
answered on 04 May 2010, 04:38 PM
Hi Michael Josiah,
Yes it is delayed already - the VS 2010 support took more effort and time than expected - the new VSIX delivery system took us some time how to do it in the best possible way and integrate it into an MSI. Actually at the moment the designer is working just fine in VS2010, we run all our tests successfully, and the moment we have a correct installer defined we will go for a release. Additional things there that are also in 'Finalizing'
 stage are: some code-generation improvements and a completely new Enhancer based on Mono.Cecil that will solve all VS related issues that we have currently. I will not give you again exact date, the only thing I would like to mention is that the moment we have all in place we go for release. I hope we can do so in the following days.

Kind regards,
Dimitar Kapitanov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
Michael Josiah
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 04 May 2010, 05:02 PM
Thanks Dimitar for the explanation. I am looking forward to the release. Out of interest will we also get better documentation about the new designer in this release?

Thanks
Dimitar Kapitanov
Telerik team
answered on 04 May 2010, 05:06 PM
Hi Michael Josiah,
Yes, I think you will be able to see a lot more in the documentation and a better structure as well.

Greetings,
Dimitar Kapitanov
the Telerik team

sitefinitysteve
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Veteran
answered on 05 May 2010, 05:17 PM
Will we be getting Forward Mapping with the Domain Model?
Dimitar Kapitanov
Telerik team
answered on 06 May 2010, 08:45 AM
Hello Steve,
It will not be in the SP1 release. Our goals are to have an early beta prior to the official Q2 release.

Greetings,
Dimitar Kapitanov
the Telerik team

Iosu Buenetxea
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 11 May 2010, 01:39 PM
Hi

what about WCF ria?? ETA to support??

Thanks
Dimitar Kapitanov
Telerik team
answered on 12 May 2010, 08:23 AM
Hello Iosu Buenetxea,
We are intensively working on this topic. I hope we can push that support to the next build, or the build after next. We expect to be able to deliver a new build until the end of the week.

All the best,
Dimitar Kapitanov
the Telerik team

Michael Josiah
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 May 2010, 10:54 PM
I just had a look at the updated article

http://www.telerik.com/community/code-library/orm/general/northwind-n-tier-web-demo-application.aspx

This is brilliant and much more like it. The solution is elegant, clean and exactly what I was hoping for. The assembler approach is great and I will use the approach immediately. What would be even better is if you could automate the assembler part as it could be very tedious to code by hand. Maybe a visual dev tool or T4 template to automatically create the assemblers and business objects would be great. Are there any plans for this? Please say there will be as this would really seal the deal for me.

Thanks
Dimitar Kapitanov
Telerik team
answered on 13 May 2010, 06:42 PM
Hello Michael Josiah,
First of all, yes there are plans to develop our support of N-Tier scenarios a lot further. We will thing of automating such an approach, but what first comes to my ming is that I personally can try to help you out by cooking a T4 template to help a bit? Let me dig into things and when I have something ready I will update this thread. Will that work for you as an intermediate solution? I think next week I can dedicate some time to it.

All the best,
Dimitar Kapitanov
the Telerik team

Michael Josiah
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 13 May 2010, 07:39 PM
That would be FANTASTIC. I would really appreciate that.
Michael Josiah
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 May 2010, 10:44 AM
Any updates on this? Also when is sp1 coming out ? Still eagerly waiting to get on with some openaccess coding

Thanks
sitefinitysteve
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Veteran
answered on 26 May 2010, 12:53 PM
Yesterday they said hopefully later this afternoon...so fingers crossed
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Michael Josiah