This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Q1 2008 Docs point to Q3 2007

7 Answers 124 Views
Documentation
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Alex Peachey
Top achievements
Rank 1
Alex Peachey asked on 16 Apr 2008, 11:33 PM
We've all be anxiously awaiting the Q1 2008 release and it's finally here. Yay!

Unfortunately, I installed it on my system, used the upgrade tool on my project, and then opened the project to find what kinds of adjustments I might need to make to fit in with breaking issues. I had quite a few. Several of my forms and controls are throwing all kinds of errors when trying open in the designer as there are a lot of incompatibilities, etc.

I opened up the docs I downloaded to find where I can best fix things only to find they are the Q3 2007 docks. With all the changes in this release and the large number of things I now find I need to alter/fix to upgrade, this is frustrating.

I went on the website to view the online docs and they also point to Q3 2007. Please alter both the online docs and the downloadable chm to Q1 2008. I can understand if the docs aren't ready yet and can be patient a little longer, but it's quite frustrating to find you package and label the old docs as new. Both the link and the file name reference Q1 2008, but when you download it, the file inside th zip is the old name and version.

7 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Nikolay Dobrev
Telerik team
answered on 17 Apr 2008, 02:28 PM
Hello Alex,

Indeed we've updated the files an hour after the announcement and the page change, and we apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Best wishes,
Nikolay Dobrev
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions at the new Telerik Support Center
Alex Peachey
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Apr 2008, 03:12 PM
Thank you for the reply and hearing this good news I went to try again.

I found:
1. The link to the chm in my client account says Q1 2008, and the file it downloads is Q1 2008, and when you unzip it, inside is Q3 2007. Nothing has been changed here and I've wasted another 60 MB download.

2. On the documentation page that is open to the public, if I click on the "online docs" it comes up with Q3 2007. Which is what it did yesterday when I made my post.

3. On the documentation page that is open to the public, if I click on the link for th chm, it sends me to an error page.

Please, make the correct Q1 2008 documentation available for download so that we can make the most out of your new tools. As developers we lose a great deal of effectiveness without documentation to reference.
Vassil Petev
Telerik team
answered on 17 Apr 2008, 05:32 PM
Hello Alex,

I am deeply sorry for this. Indeed, there turned out to be a problem with the automatic help updates on the site. They were fine last night when I downloaded all files to test them.

At any rate, I checked the different help file locations and updated them accordingly. Here are the details:

1. The online browsable help has been updated. The easiest way to check whether this really is the latest version is to look for RadCarousel in the navigation tree. In case you do not see the latest version, please delete your browser cache and try again. This version also says that is for v6.0.0.0 of RadControls for WInForms (i.e. Q1 2008).

2. The CHM download link on the WinForms documentation page should work now. I test-downloaded the CHM to confirm this.
    Note: the CHM says it is for v5.0.0.0, but in reality it is for the latest release. This has been updated in the online browsable version already and the update will appear in all CHMs as soon as tomorrow.

3. The download link in the Client.net should also work. I downloaded the files to confirm this. 
    Note: the CHM says it is for v5.0.0.0, but in reality it is for the latest release. This has been updated in the online browsable version already and the update will appear in all CHMs as soon as tomorrow. 

Please, note that RadGridView Q1 2008 is not compatible with the older version. More details on this can be found in the following sticky forum post:
http://www.telerik.com/community/forums/thread/b311D-bdctga.aspx

Feel free to write back in case you experience further problems.

Kind regards,

Vassil

the Telerik team

Team Inc System Developers
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 11 Jun 2008, 03:37 PM
I've used RadChart for ASP and wanted to incorporate the same functionality in a Windows form.  I did find some differences, so tried to access the help for RadChart for WinControls, and find that the help references RadChart for ASP.Net, which is quite different.  Is there a way to get documentation relevant to RadChart for WinControls?
Nikolay Dobrev
Telerik team
answered on 13 Jun 2008, 08:13 AM
Hello,

All Telerik charts (ASP.NET, WinForms, WPF) use the same charting engine and that's why we're using a single source for creating their help files as well. Unfortunately there seems to be a problem with the build flags, which caused some content to appear in the wrong place (ASP.NET in WInForms in this case). We did reviewed the documentation again and I believe this time we fixed the issue. An updated version of the help file will be available soon on our website.

Thank you for bringing our attention into this.

Sincerely yours,
Nikolay Dobrev
the Telerik team

Team Inc System Developers
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 Oct 2008, 08:08 PM
Still finding issues with the Radchart documentation references items only available for ASP.Net.  Specifically in looking at creation of a Radchart programmatically, there are references for ASP.Net, not WinControls.  Will this documentation be updated to reflect the correct platform. It has been alomost four months since post that documentation was up to date, but it isn't. Thanks.
Nikolay
Telerik team
answered on 09 Oct 2008, 04:13 PM
Hi Team Inc System Developers,

Thank you for bringing this into our attention.

You are correct. Indeed, there are still some inaccuracies in our RadChart documentation. We intend to address them in Q3 2008 since Q2 2008 was a bit short and we had more important things to finish up.

Concerning the programmatic creation of RadChart, please refer to this Help Documentation article.

If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me.

Best wishes,
Nikolay
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Tags
Documentation
Asked by
Alex Peachey
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Nikolay Dobrev
Telerik team
Alex Peachey
Top achievements
Rank 1