Push notifications on Android not opening the app

4 posts, 0 answers
  1. Krzysztof
    Krzysztof avatar
    1 posts
    Member since:
    Oct 2013

    Posted 21 Jan 2014 Link to this post

    We're using push notifications in our app.

    On Android, in a dev build of the app, when we get a push notification, and click on it, if the app is not running, it would open the app.

    We just build a release version of the app, preparing to submit it to the Play store, and I noticed that now, as we receive a notification, clicking it does nothing. It doesn't get dismissed, and it doesn't open the app.

    Is this a bug or is that by design? How can I get in prod the behaviour we have in dev?
  2. Zdravko
    Admin
    Zdravko avatar
    657 posts

    Posted 22 Jan 2014 Link to this post

    Hi Krzysztof,

    I tested the behavior with our Everlive Push Notification sample project and could not reproduce the issue you've reported. What is the version of Cordova and the version of the PushPlugin you're using in your app? Can you try on several Android devices to exclude the possibility of this being a device problem? We recommend testing on clean Android devices (Nexus) vs. custom roms or custom vendor UIs.

    Regards,
    Zdravko
    Telerik
    You've missed the Icenium Visual Studio Integration keynote? It has been recorded and posted here.
    Looking for tips & tricks directly from the Icenium team? Check out our blog!
    Share feedback and vote for features on our Feedback Portal.
  3. Brad
    Brad avatar
    8 posts
    Member since:
    Mar 2014

    Posted 19 Jun 2014 in reply to Zdravko Link to this post

    I too am experiencing this behavior with a dev build of my app on Kit Kat on a Nexus 5. 

    I get push notifications fine on both Android and iOS, but only the iOS notifications open the app. The android notifications do nothing when I click them. If I then open the Android app, it does correctly fire the 'notificationCallbackAndroid' method.  
  4. Kaloyan
    Admin
    Kaloyan avatar
    872 posts

    Posted 24 Jun 2014 Link to this post

    Hi Brad,

    A possible solution might be to clear the Dalvik Cache on the device. To do so, please follow the next steps:
    1. Uninstall the app on the device.
    2. Clear the Dalvik cache. You can do this as explained here.
    3. Then, install the app again and check it works as expected.

    I hope this helps.

    Regards,
    Kaloyan
    Telerik
     

    Share what you think about AppBuilder and Telerik Platform with us in our feedback portal, so we can become even better!

     
Back to Top