Straight to your questions:
1) Indeed, it is possible that the version is causing the difference since everything else in our test seems to be the same. The version I tested under is 3.6.13, would you please test under it and let us know whether this changes the behavior?
2) What I can suggest to try is the following:
- put the code for the single click in a timeout
- in the double click handler set some flag
- since the single click has a timeout, if there was a double click, the flag should be already set; check it and if it shows that there was a double click, do not execute the code.
This solution is not the best one but your requirement and how the things work make it hard to achieve what you ask about in a better manner.
I hope that my reply is helpful, let us know hoe it goes.
the Telerik team