This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Pie Chart Labels Overlapping

3 Answers 78 Views
Chart
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Tim
Top achievements
Rank 1
Tim asked on 16 Sep 2011, 02:45 PM
Hello!

I've found some forum entries concerning this topic but unfortunately nothing helped.
Is there a way to avoid label overlapping (see attached image)? I hope so.

Thanks a lot in advance!
All the best,
Tim.

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Sia
Telerik team
answered on 21 Sep 2011, 01:29 PM
Hi Tim,

From the attached picture I understand that your case is having one big pie slice and many small ones. We do not recommend a pie series for visualizing such data. If using a different kind of series is not possible in your case, a possible solution is to remove the labels and show their value in the legend labels.

Regards,
Sia
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading the Ultimate Collection trial package. Get it now >>

Tim
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Sep 2011, 11:37 AM
Hello Sia,

thank you for your answer. Unfortunately we don't have static data. The user can filter data and depending on the current filtering, it is possible that data is generated that is "not recommended" for a pie chart. Other libraries automatically create a new pie sclice for these small values (automatic aggregation). I know that it is not easy to always create good looking charts but this here (the picture) is really ugly! By the way, the "smart label" positioning is activated. There would be enough space to show all the labels readable! Are there any optimizations planned? I surely hope so!

All the best and thanks again for taking your time,
Tim.

Ves
Telerik team
answered on 28 Sep 2011, 11:33 AM
Hello Tim,

You can try to enable spider mode (demonstrated here) but still, results cannot be guaranteed for all the cases. We appreciate your feedback on the automatic aggregation, but currently you will need to do this manually. That is, you can analyze the data, combine the last 10% in a single item and set up another pie, which shows the distribution amongst these smallest items.

Alternatively, let me get back to Sia's suggestion for placing those labels in the legend. I do find it viable as the pie slices for the smallest items are barely visible anyways and the information about these items is mainly displayed by the labels i.e. it is just text. Putting it in the legend will guarantee you ordered display with no overlaps.

Best regards,
Ves
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading the Ultimate Collection trial package. Get it now >>

Tags
Chart
Asked by
Tim
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Sia
Telerik team
Tim
Top achievements
Rank 1