This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Object reference exception [Build 4.2.11.204]

5 Answers 164 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Jasper
Top achievements
Rank 1
Jasper asked on 19 Feb 2011, 02:28 AM

Hi,

I just tried to compile my reporting application (strictly speaking a wrapper) using the latest nightly build (4.2.11.204).
Unfortunately I ran into an "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" exception. The exception is thrown by Telerik.Reporting.dll during report generation, so I am not able to say what exactly raises it.
Do you have any idea what’s going wrong or could you tell me if there are any breaking changes in the interface of Telerik Reporting?

I just want to avoid running into this issues when using the upcoming (production ready) Q1 2011 release.

BTW: The project templates for Telerik Reports are vanished from VS 2010 when installing v.4.2.11.204.

Best Regards

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Jasper
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Feb 2011, 01:54 AM
After some further investigation it turned out that the problem was introduced with 4.2.10.1221 (works fine with 4.2.10.1110).

Any Ideas?

Massimiliano Bassili
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Feb 2011, 09:01 AM

Jasper, a stack trace of the exception will definitely help so try:

• Output window in Visual Studio
  • enable the CLR exceptions from Debug, Exceptions menu in VS and run again

Reporting comes with Visual Studio examples - do you get the error when running them?

Cheers
Jasper
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Feb 2011, 06:21 PM
The examples are working like a charm.

Well, this is the output log:

'GenericReportsTestApp.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_32\mscorlib\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\mscorlib.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.

'GenericReportsTestApp.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.Utilities\10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.Utilities.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.

'GenericReportsTestApp.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Windows.Forms\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Windows.Forms.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.

'GenericReportsTestApp.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Drawing\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Drawing.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.

'GenericReportsTestApp.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.

'GenericReportsTestApp.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.Utilities.Sync\10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.Utilities.Sync.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.

'GenericReportsTestApp.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Debugger.Runtime\10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Debugger.Runtime.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.

'GenericReportsTestApp.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\Users\Admin\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\GenericReports\GenericReportsTestApp\bin\Debug\GenericReportsTestApp.vshost.exe', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.

'GenericReportsTestApp.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Core\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Core.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.

'GenericReportsTestApp.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Xml.Linq\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Xml.Linq.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.

'GenericReportsTestApp.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Data.DataSetExtensions\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Data.DataSetExtensions.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.

'GenericReportsTestApp.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.CSharp\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.CSharp.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.

'GenericReportsTestApp.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_32\System.Data\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Data.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.

'GenericReportsTestApp.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Deployment\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Deployment.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.

'GenericReportsTestApp.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Xml\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Xml.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.

'GenericReportsTestApp.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Telerik.Reporting\4.2.10.1221__a9d7983dfcc261be\Telerik.Reporting.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.

'GenericReportsTestApp.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Telerik.ReportViewer.WinForms\4.2.10.1221__a9d7983dfcc261be\Telerik.ReportViewer.WinForms.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.

The thread 'vshost.NotifyLoad' (0x2604) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The thread 'vshost.LoadReference' (0x1ae0) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

'GenericReportsTestApp.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\Users\Admin\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\GenericReports\GenericReportsTestApp\bin\Debug\GenericReportsTestApp.exe', Symbols loaded.

'GenericReportsTestApp.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\Users\Admin\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\GenericReports\GenericReportsTestApp\bin\Debug\GenericTable.dll', Symbols loaded.

'GenericReportsTestApp.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Configuration\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Configuration.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.

'GenericReportsTestApp.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_32\System.Transactions\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Transactions.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.

'GenericReportsTestApp.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_32\System.EnterpriseServices\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.EnterpriseServices.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.

'GenericReportsTestApp.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_32\System.EnterpriseServices\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.EnterpriseServices.Wrapper.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.

'GenericReportsTestApp.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Numerics\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Numerics.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.

>>EnsureHandleCreated called: 462874

*** ReportProcessor.Render STARTED ***

*** ReportProcessor.GetRenderer STARTED ***

'GenericReportsTestApp.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Telerik.ReportConverter.ActiveReports\4.2.10.1221__a9d7983dfcc261be\Telerik.ReportConverter.ActiveReports.dll'

'GenericReportsTestApp.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Telerik.ReportConverter.CrystalReports\4.2.10.1221__a9d7983dfcc261be\Telerik.ReportConverter.CrystalReports.dll'

'GenericReportsTestApp.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Telerik.ReportConverter.XtraReports\4.2.10.1221__a9d7983dfcc261be\Telerik.ReportConverter.XtraReports.dll'

'GenericReportsTestApp.vshost.exe' (Managed (v4.0.30319)): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Telerik.Reporting.XamlRendering\4.2.10.1221__a9d7983dfcc261be\Telerik.Reporting.XamlRendering.dll'

*** ReportProcessor.GetRenderer DONE in 00:00:00.1019498 ***

*** ProcessReport #0 STARTED ***

*** Report Processing STARTED ***

*** Report Processing STARTED ***

*** Table::ProcessItem STARTED ***

*** TableBuilder::AddColumns STARTED ***

*** TableBuilder::AddColumns DONE in 00:00:00.0166191 ***

*** TableBuilder::AddRows STARTED ***

*** TableBuilder::AddRows DONE in 00:00:00.0110181 ***

*** Table::ProcessItem DONE in 00:00:00.0619572 ***

An exception has occurred while processing '' item:

System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.

Parameter name: index

at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException()

at System.Collections.Generic.List`1.get_Item(Int32 index)

at Telerik.Reporting.Processing.Data.DataMember.<GetMembers>d__12.MoveNext()

at Telerik.Reporting.Processing.TableBuilder.WalkHierarchy(Boolean isColumnGroup, IList`1 hierarchy, DataMember parentData, Single distance, AddBodyLineCallback addBodyLineCallback, AddPresentationCallback addPresentationCallback, Int32 startIndex, Boolean parentCollapse, Single& collapsePresentationCorrection, Single& mergePresentationCorrection, Int32& mergePresentation)

at Telerik.Reporting.Processing.TableBuilder.WalkHierarchy(Boolean isColumnGroup, IList`1 hierarchy, DataMember parentData, Single distance, AddBodyLineCallback addBodyLineCallback, AddPresentationCallback addPresentationCallback, Int32 startIndex, Boolean parentCollapse, Single& collapsePresentationCorrection, Single& mergePresentationCorrection, Int32& mergePresentation)

at Telerik.Reporting.Processing.TableBuilder.Fill(Table table)

at Telerik.Reporting.Processing.Table.ProcessItem()

at Telerik.Reporting.Processing.ReportItemBase.Process(DataMember data)

*** Report Processing DONE in 00:00:03.7588828 ***

*** Report Processing DONE in 00:00:03.7750025 ***

*** Measure Report (Horizontal) STARTED ***

*** Measure Report (Horizontal) STARTED ***

*** Measure Report (Horizontal) DONE in 00:00:00.0073578 ***

*** Measure Report (Horizontal) DONE in 00:00:00.0174335 ***

*** Measure Report (Vertical) STARTED ***

*** Measure Report (Vertical) STARTED ***

*** Measure Report (Vertical) DONE in 00:00:00.0055196 ***

*** Measure Report (Vertical) DONE in 00:00:00.0092123 ***

*** ProcessReport #0 DONE in 00:00:03.8546594 ***

*** RenderReport #0 STARTED ***

An error has occurred while rendering the report: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at Telerik.Reporting.Processing.Table.CellIndexAt(Int32 rowIndex, Int32 columnIndex)

at Telerik.Reporting.Paging.Table.CellAt(Int32 rowIndex, Int32 columnIndex)

at Telerik.Reporting.Paging.RowDimensionAdapter.CellAt(Int32 line, Int32 otherDimLine)

at Telerik.Reporting.Paging.TableDimension.<CellsAtLine>d__3.MoveNext()

at Telerik.Reporting.Paging.TableDimension.MoveLineTo(Int32 lineIndex, RoundedFloat pos)

at Telerik.Reporting.Paging.TableDimension.Init()

at Telerik.Reporting.Paging.Table.Init()

at Telerik.Reporting.Paging.PageComposition.CreateElement(Object source, RenderingElement parent)

at Telerik.Reporting.Paging.RenderingElement.Init()

at Telerik.Reporting.Paging.PageComposition.CreateElement(Object source, RenderingElement parent)

at Telerik.Reporting.Paging.Group.CreateChildItems()

at Telerik.Reporting.Paging.Group.Init()

at Telerik.Reporting.Paging.Report.Init()

at Telerik.Reporting.Paging.PageComposition.ProcessPages(Report report, Action`1 beginPageCallback, ElementPaged elementPagedCallback, Action`1 endPageCallback)

at Telerik.Reporting.Writing.DocumentWriter.Write(Report report)

at Telerik.Reporting.ImageRendering.ImageRendererBase.RenderPages(Report report, Hashtable renderingContext, Hashtable deviceInfo, CreateStream createStreamCallback, EvaluateHeaderFooterExpressions evalHeaderFooterCallback)

at Telerik.Reporting.ImageRendering.ImageRendererBase.RenderReport(Report report, Hashtable renderingContext, Hashtable deviceInfo, CreateStream createStreamCallback, EvaluateHeaderFooterExpressions evalHeaderFooterCallback)

*** RenderReport #0 DONE in 00:00:00.1393776 ***

*** ReportProcessor.Render DONE in 00:00:04.1123654 ***

WinViewer> An error has occurred while rendering a report:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at Telerik.Reporting.Processing.Table.CellIndexAt(Int32 rowIndex, Int32 columnIndex)

at Telerik.Reporting.Paging.Table.CellAt(Int32 rowIndex, Int32 columnIndex)

at Telerik.Reporting.Paging.RowDimensionAdapter.CellAt(Int32 line, Int32 otherDimLine)

at Telerik.Reporting.Paging.TableDimension.<CellsAtLine>d__3.MoveNext()

at Telerik.Reporting.Paging.TableDimension.MoveLineTo(Int32 lineIndex, RoundedFloat pos)

at Telerik.Reporting.Paging.TableDimension.Init()

at Telerik.Reporting.Paging.Table.Init()

at Telerik.Reporting.Paging.PageComposition.ProcessPages(Report report, Action`1 beginPageCallback, ElementPaged elementPagedCallback, Action`1 endPageCallback)

at Telerik.Reporting.Writing.DocumentWriter.Write(Report report)

at Telerik.Reporting.ImageRendering.ImageRendererBase.RenderPages(Report report, Hashtable renderingContext, Hashtable deviceInfo, CreateStream createStreamCallback, EvaluateHeaderFooterExpressions evalHeaderFooterCallback)

at Telerik.Reporting.ImageRendering.ImageRendererBase.RenderReport(Report report, Hashtable renderingContext, Hashtable deviceInfo, CreateStream createStreamCallback, EvaluateHeaderFooterExpressions evalHeaderFooterCallback)

at Telerik.Reporting.ImageRendering.ImageRendererBase.Telerik.Reporting.Processing.IRenderingExtension.Render(Report report, Hashtable renderingContext, Hashtable deviceInfo, CreateStream createStreamCallback, EvaluateHeaderFooterExpressions evalHeaderFooterCallback)

at Telerik.Reporting.Processing.ReportProcessor.Render(IList`1 reports, ExtensionInfo extensionInfo, Hashtable renderingContext, Hashtable deviceInfo, CreateStream createStreamCallback)

at Telerik.Reporting.Processing.ReportProcessor.RenderReport(String format, IReportDocument reportDocument, Hashtable deviceInfo, Hashtable renderingContext, CreateStream createStreamCallback)

at Telerik.ReportViewer.WinForms.RenderingThread.ThreadFunc(Object o)

The thread 'Rendering' (0x24a0) has exited with code 0 (0x0).

Jasper
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Feb 2011, 04:37 PM
Solved
Christopher Taylor
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Mar 2011, 11:57 AM
How did you solve?
Tags
General Discussions