This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

OA performance SQLserver 2008 vs SQLserver 2012

3 Answers 33 Views
Databases and Data Types
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
XXXX
Top achievements
Rank 1
XXXX asked on 12 Nov 2012, 10:11 AM

I have a strange problem.

In the development environment I get acceptable performance (my measure 4500 operations/min)

but when I run the same test in the production environment the performance is unacceptable (only 625 operations/min).

The only difference that I'm aware of is that the development uses SQLserver 2008R2 vs SQLserver 2012 in production.

Thanks in advance.

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Thomas
Telerik team
answered on 12 Nov 2012, 01:30 PM

Hi Björn,

please check that both servers use the tcp protocol to talk to each other, otherwise we might compare apples and peaches. I see no other principal reason why there should be a difference of that kind.
Or is the production server doing some logging/auditing more than your dev server? What is the difference in pure SQL execution (from Management Studio)?

Kind regards,

Thomas
the Telerik team
Telerik OpenAccess ORM Meets ASP.NET Web API. Read more.
XXXX
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Nov 2012, 04:05 PM

As usual I didn't provide enough information.

This is a n-tier application where the OA ORM is running on IIs 7 on Windows Server 2008R2.

The production environment has much better hardware so it has to be configuration or SQL connection.

There is one thing I noticed that might be relevant and that is that the development IIs machine has SQLserver 2008 Native client installed where as the production doesn't have any SQLserver Native client installed.

The OA Orm product page says : "Telerik OpenAccess ORM provides built-in support for a wide range of databases to allow you to connect to one or more databases without the need to install additional components. "

Which I take as no need to install additional drivers.

Thomas
Telerik team
answered on 13 Nov 2012, 12:48 PM
Yes, no additional drivers should be needed! And in fact, the installed ones do work, but in a different speed.
Unfortunately, we do not have a customer grade pure ADO level performance test; otherwise this would be the next step: to figure out if the ADO layer is the reason. Maybe it's also firewalls, or network card configuration (I have seen this!).
Again: Do normal Management Studio SQL queries show a similar performance degration? Or is it a different data set, requiring additional indexes? You could also turn on the OpenAccess profiler to figure out if it is a specific query that takes the time.

All the best,
Thomas
the Telerik team
Telerik OpenAccess ORM Meets ASP.NET Web API. Read more.
Tags
Databases and Data Types
Asked by
XXXX
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Thomas
Telerik team
XXXX
Top achievements
Rank 1