3 posts, 0 answers
  1. David
    David avatar
    11 posts

Posted 14 Sep Link to this post

I am new to using Telerik Framework. I am trying to write automated tests for a WPF application that we have, but I keep getting a null reference exception when I try and use the code described in this page 

This happens in the line that is launching the application 'WpfApplication foo = myManager.LaunchNewApplication(@"C:\Users\e-ddcr\Documents\GAV\2.0\gav-app\PokeMoon\PokeMoon.Startup\bin\Debug\PokeMoon.Startup.exe"); '. Unfortunately the error does not seem to give me very much to go on, and I could not find anything online that helped resolve the issue. 

Below you have the details of the error and my code. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks,

Test Name: Open_Application
    Test FullName: UnitTestProject2.TelerikNUnitTest1.Open_Application
    Test Source: C:\Users\e-ddcr\Documents\GAV\2.0\gav-app\PokeMoon\UnitTestProject2\TelerikNUnitTest1.cs : line 37
    Test Outcome: Failed
    Test Duration: 0:00:10,4944389

Result StackTrace:
    at ArtOfTest.Common.Win32.Connector.InjectCode(IntPtr handle, String assemblyAndClass, String pipename, String pid, Boolean waitForDocument, Int32 waitForDocumentTimeout)
       at ArtOfTest.WebAii.Wpf.WpfWindow.ConnectToWindow(IntPtr handle, String pipename, String pid)
       at ArtOfTest.WebAii.Wpf.WpfApplication.get_MainWindow()
       at ArtOfTest.WebAii.Core.Manager.LaunchNewApplication(ProcessStartInfo pinfo)
       at ArtOfTest.WebAii.Core.Manager.LaunchNewApplication(String path, String[] args)
       at UnitTestProject2.TelerikNUnitTest1.Open_Application() in C:\Users\e-ddcr\Documents\GAV\2.0\gav-app\PokeMoon\UnitTestProject2\TelerikNUnitTest1.cs:line 48
    Result Message:
    Test method UnitTestProject2.TelerikNUnitTest1.Open_Application threw exception: 
    System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

using ArtOfTest.WebAii.Core;
    using ArtOfTest.WebAii.TestTemplates;
    using ArtOfTest.WebAii.Wpf;
    using Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UnitTesting;

namespace UnitTestProject2
        /// <summary>
        /// Summary description for TelerikNUnitTest1
        /// </summary>
        public class TelerikNUnitTest1 : BaseWpfTest

private TestContext testContextInstance;

public WpfApplication foo { get; private set; }

/// <summary>
            ///Gets or sets the test context which provides
            ///information about and functionality for the current test run.

public void Open_Application()
                // Create my own Settings object and then modify the defaults
                Settings mySettings = new Settings();
                mySettings.ClientReadyTimeout = 60000;

// Use my Settings object to construct my Manager object
                Manager myManager = new Manager(mySettings);

// Launch the application instance from its location in file system
                WpfApplication foo = myManager.LaunchNewApplication(@"C:\Users\e-ddcr\Documents\GAV\2.0\gav-app\PokeMoon\PokeMoon.Startup\bin\Debug\PokeMoon.Startup.exe"); 

//// Validate the title of the homepage
                Button np = foo.MainWindow.Find.ByName<Button>("New project...");

2. Georgi
    Georgi avatar
    344 posts

Posted 15 Sep Link to this post

Hi david,

It seems like what you are missing is the starting of the new Manager you have created:
     // Launch the application instance from its location in file system
    WpfApplication foo = myManager.LaunchNewApplication(@"C:\Users\e-ddcr\Documents\GAV\2.0\gav-app\PokeMoon\PokeMoon.Startup\bin\Debug\PokeMoon.Startup.exe");

Hope this would help.

Telerik by Progress
    Do you need help with upgrading your AJAX, WPF or WinForms project? Check the Telerik API Analyzer and share your thoughts.
  3. DevCraft banner
  4. David
    David avatar
    11 posts

Posted 16 Sep Link to this post

Hi Georgi,

That did the job! Thanks for your help.

All the best,