New Features in 2015 Q2 missing?

11 posts, 0 answers
  1. Shaun
    Shaun avatar
    31 posts

Posted 25 Jun 2015 Link to this post

Hi,

I have updated our company software to the 2015 Q2 release. According the release history this should include the following for the PDFProcessing.

• Introduced API for merging PDF documents.
    • Implemented loading ImageSource on demand when importing PDF documents.
    • Introduced API for accessing image data.
    • Implemented support for import and export of TrueType fonts.
    • Implemented support for import and export of text showing content stream operators.
    • Implemented support for import and export of text positioning content stream operators.
    • Optimized performance when Image objects are imported and exported by not decoding and encoding the image data.
    • Provided API for inserting and retrieving images as encoded image data.

Has all the documentation been updated yet as it looks the same as when I last looked. I am disappointed that I am still suffering from the following issues, which I thought would be covered by the above fixes.

1. Cannot import png files correctly (transparency issues)
    2. Cannot import pdf file to include in generated document (shows as blank page)
    3. Image compression on imported images cannot be turned off (ImageQuality.High causes to much of a loss of quality for printed documents)

Is it still the case that the above problems are still unfixable for now?

Regards,

Shaun

2. Deyan
    Admin
    Deyan avatar
    136 posts

Posted 26 Jun 2015 Link to this post

Hello Shaun,

Thank you for contacting us.

I will follow the same numbering of your questions for the corresponding answers below:
    1. The issue related with images trasparancy requires implementation of image masks in RadPdfProcessing and we have not implemented this functionality yet. We have already created this feedback item which you can follow in order to be notified when its status is changed from "Approved" to "In Development" and "Completed". This is one of our high priority tasks and we will do our best to implement it for the next official release.
    2. Regarding the documents imported as blank - this behaviour may be caused by many different issues related to RadPdfProcessing import functionality. As you may see from the above mentioned release notes we are currently actively working on improving this import functionality. Our aim is to make RadPdfProcessing import feature equal to RadPdfViewer's import functionality. The completion of this task in some of the following official releases will allow successful import of a variety of different PDF documents. Meanwhile, when you encounter issues with our import I would ask you to send us the problematic documents if possible. This will allow us to test with bigger set of PDF files created by different PDF producers.
    3. Regarding the image quality issue - as may be seen from the release notes, we have made improvements our images import API in several ways. If you import PDF document with images we now taking the image data as is, without decoding and re-enconding it, which improves not only the performace but also preserves the image quality. If you generate a document and need to import an image in it you may take a look at the new ImageSource class constructors that allow you to specify the image quality. There is also a new constructor that takes EncodedImageData. This allows us to take the image stream as is without decoding and re-encoding it. Using this approach you may guarantee that the image quality of the imported image is preserved. For more information about this functionality you may take a look at this SDK example showing how to create PDF with JPEG and JPEG2000 images preserving the original images quality.

I hope this is helpful. If you have any other questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,
    Deyan
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
  3. Shaun
    Shaun avatar
    31 posts

Posted 26 Jun 2015 in reply to Deyan Link to this post

Thanks for the Reply Deyan,

1. I have followed the feedback item and look forward to following its progress.
    2. At the moment I am struggling to import any pdf. I asked our designer to send me a pdf which has just an image in it rather than parts. i.e. flattened. This doesn't seem to work either perhaps I am implementing the import process incorrectly?

Dim bData As Byte()
    Dim br As BinaryReader = New BinaryReader(File.OpenRead(ConstClass.ServerLocation & "CustomerTypes\" & CTID & "\Brochure\Templates\" & DataClass.PDFLink))
    bData = br.ReadBytes(CInt(br.BaseStream.Length))
    Dim MS As MemoryStream = New MemoryStream(bData, 0, bData.Length)
    MS.Write(bData, 0, bData.Length)

Dim document As RadFixedDocument = New PdfFormatProvider(MS, FormatProviderSettings.ReadOnDemand).Import()
    Dim Page As RadFixedPage = document.Pages(0)
    document.Pages.Remove(Page)
    Brochure.Pages.Add(Page)
    MS.Dispose()
    br.Dispose()

Please find attached sample pdf's I am attempting to import.

PDF 1

PDF 2

3.   I have implemented the EncodedImageData and it works perfectly. Now there is no compression on the images at all which can help me around problem number 1 for the short term, as I can just set the jpg background to match the page. Before when compressed it would look horrendous.

4. Deyan
    Admin
    Deyan avatar
    136 posts

Posted 29 Jun 2015 Link to this post

Hello Shaun,

Thank you for sending us the demo pdf files.

Both files are not imported correctly because each of them contains multiple cross reference tables. Although this is a valid scenario supported by our RadPdfViewer control, this feature is still not supported by RadPdfProcessing.  We have already logged it in our feedback portal. You can vote for it and follow its implementation progress by following this feedback item. As this is one of our top priority tasks, this functionality is expected to be implemented for the next official release.

Meanwhile you can easily generate these files using RadPdfProcessing and then they will be successfully imported by RadPdfProcessing.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have other questions please contact us again.

Regards,
    Deyan
    the Telerik team
    Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
  5. Shaun
    Shaun avatar
    31 posts

Posted 29 Jun 2015 Link to this post

Thanks for the update Deyan. I will follow this feedback item.
  6. Shaun
    Shaun avatar
    31 posts

Posted 07 Oct 2015 Link to this post

I have been following the issues regarding importing PDF's;

http://feedback.telerik.com/Project/143/Feedback/Details/161458-import-of-documents-with-multiple-cross-reference-tables

I was hoping I would have been able to import the basic PDF files above, and maybe some more advanced ones with the Q3 release. Unfortunately nothing seems to have changed unless my code above needs altering.

http://feedback.telerik.com/Project/143/Feedback/Details/159688-add-support-for-png-images-when-exporting-to-pdf

It seems no progress has been made at all with transparent (.png files) images which I would have thought would have been quite important to not just me but other customers as well.

Will I have to wait for the Q1 2016 release now for possibly one of these 2 things to be fixed?  

On a side not I have noticed in the Q3 release that my generated PDF's are now ~70-80% of the size they were when generated with the Q2 release. Quality on screen and printout looks the same which is good.

Regards,

Shaun

7. Deyan
    Admin
    Deyan avatar
    136 posts

Posted 08 Oct 2015 Link to this post

Hello Shaun,

Thank you for contacting us.

As may be seen from the feedback item and from the release notes for Q3 the feature related with multiple cross-reference tables is now implemented. Testing with the latest official version of the product I can now successfully import and export the files you have previously sent (frontcover-image.pdf and backcover-image.pdf). 

As for the PNG images support - we have not implemented this feature yet. However, this is one of our high priority features and hopefully it will be implemented for the next Q.

Please verify that everything works fine on your side, testing with the latest version of the product and do not hesitate to contact us again if you have any other questions or concerns.

Regards,
    Deyan
    the Telerik team
  8. Shaun
    Shaun avatar
    31 posts

Posted 09 Oct 2015 in reply to Deyan Link to this post

Hi Deyan,

Thanks for looking into this for me. I have updated to v2015.3.930.45 and don't seem to be able to get the importing to work. I have used the code further up in post #3 of this thread.

When the page is imported a blank page appears in the document I am generating. This page is also the wrong size. The pages in the document I am generating and importing are all A5, yet the blank imported page is closer to A4 in size (215.90mm x 279.40mm).

Would you expect this code to work? If not could you suggest how I should go about importing and adding one of those PDF's to another document being generated.

Regards,

Shaun

9. Deyan
    Admin
    Deyan avatar
    136 posts

Posted 13 Oct 2015 Link to this post

Hello Shaun,

In the code snippet from your previous post I see that you are using the PdfFormatProvider's constructor mentioned in this RadPdfViewer documentation article. However, when you want to import and export PDF files you should use the constructor mentioned in this RadPdfProcessing documentation article. Although the two products are sharing the same public API, they are currently differing internally and you cannot export documents imported with RadPdfViewer. We are currently actively working on improving RadPdfProcessing import functionality and once it becomes feature equal to RadPdfViewer the two models will be unified internally as well.

In order to easily test the import and export of the previously sent documents I am attaching a sample project that imports and exports frontcover-image.pdf. Testing this application with the latest version of the product I can see that the page size of the imported document is the same as the page size of the exported one.

As for adding the imported document to another generated one - you could use the Merge method mentioned in this documentation article.

Please write to us if you still experience any issues after testing the demo project.

Regards,
    Deyan
    the Telerik team
  10. Shaun
    Shaun avatar
    31 posts

Posted 20 Oct 2015 in reply to Deyan Link to this post

Hi Deyan,

Sorry for the late response I have been busy with other projects this last week. I couldn't open the example project you linked (opens new blank tab). However using the tutorials you linked to I have had success!

I can now import flattened PDF's (PDF converted to image). This should solve most problems with the project I am working on. I did try importing a non flattened version of the PDF's which imported but was displayed incorrectly. I have linked the files below;

BackCover

FrontCover

Could these files be added to your testing files during development. I don't believe there is anything to unusual about them.

Thanks for all the support and effort you have put into this.

Regards,

Shaun

11. Deyan
    Admin
    Deyan avatar
    136 posts

Posted 23 Oct 2015 Link to this post

Hello Shaun,

Thank you for sending us the sample files. There are basically three issues that are reproducible with these files. We have logged them in our feedback portal and you can follow their implementation progress on the following links:
    If you have other questions please contact us again.

Regards,
    Deyan
    the Telerik team