This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

New AMD definitions in v2016.1.112 are incompatible with webpack

7 Answers 257 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Jack
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Jack asked on 13 Jan 2016, 07:12 PM

In 2015.3.1113, kendo.menu definition was

(function(f, define){
    define([ "./kendo.popup" ], f);
})(function(){

(function(){

})();

return window.kendo;

}, typeof define == 'function' && define.amd ? define : function(_, f){ f(); });

This did work with webpack. 

In 2016.1.112, kendo.menu definition has been changed to:

(function (f, define) {
    define('kendo.menu', ['kendo.popup'], f);
}(function () {
    var __meta__ = {
        id: 'menu',
        name: 'Menu',
        category: 'web',
        description: 'The Menu widget displays hierarchical data as a multi-level menu.',
        depends: ['popup']
    };
    (function ($, undefined) {

})(window.kendo.jQuery);

})();

return window.kendo;

}, typeof define == 'function' && define.amd ? define : function(_, f){ f(); });

This no more works with webpack latest version which returns

ERROR in ../js/vendor/kendo/kendo.menu.js
Module not found: Error: Cannot resolve module 'kendo.popup' in C:\<project>\js\vendor\kendo
 @ ../js/vendor/kendo/kendo.menu.js 26:4-44

7 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Jack
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
answered on 16 Jan 2016, 11:04 AM

See also https://github.com/webpack/webpack/issues/1897

Note in the post above, the 2016.1.112 UMD wrapper actually is (see copy paste issue on last line):

(function (f, define) {
    define('kendo.menu', ['kendo.popup'], f);
}(function () {
    var __meta__ = {
        id: 'menu',
        name: 'Menu',
        category: 'web',
        description: 'The Menu widget displays hierarchical data as a multi-level menu.',
        depends: ['popup']
    };
    (function ($, undefined) {

})(window.kendo.jQuery);

})();

return window.kendo;

}, typeof define == 'function' && define.amd ? define : function (a1, a2, a3) {
    (a3 || a2)();
}));

Petyo
Telerik team
answered on 18 Jan 2016, 08:31 AM
Hello,

the problem is already fixed, we will publish an internal build which addresses is. A webpack example is in the works, we will publish it shortly. 

Regards,
Petyo
Telerik

Join us on our journey to create the world's most complete HTML 5 UI Framework - download Kendo UI now!

Mike
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Mar 2016, 08:05 AM

Can we get an update on this problem, please?

Is there somewhere that we can download this "internal build" that has, apparently, already fixed the problem?

Petyo
Telerik team
answered on 14 Mar 2016, 09:14 AM
Hi,

the problem is addressed in our SP1 release - 226. Check the following help article, too.

Regards,
Petyo
Telerik

Join us on our journey to create the world's most complete HTML 5 UI Framework - download Kendo UI now!

Mike
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Mar 2016, 12:43 AM

The method used in that help article, i.e. setting resolve.root in the webpack config file, didn't work for me.  

What does work for me, as I posted on the github bug report linked above, was to added an extra entry to my resolve.moduleEntries in the webpack config file.

I'm installing Kendo Pro from Bower, as per Telerik instructions, so my paths are different.  I've setup a github repository showing my continuing problems at https://github.com/brownieboy/kendo-webpack-error-2016.1.226-SP1.  Can somebody please take a look and tell me what I'm doing wrong, in anything?  I can log a separate bug report, if required.

https://github.com/brownieboy/kendo-webpack-error-2016.1.226-SP1

Ryan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Mar 2016, 10:39 PM
Are there any steps for how to do this with Trial versions?  I am currently evaluating Kendo with an already established Webpack build.  As it is a trial, I do not have access to the source files, which makes management with Webpack slightly more difficult, since it attempts to import the angular and jquery packaged with Kendo, but cannot find them.
Petyo
Telerik team
answered on 16 Mar 2016, 02:04 PM
Hi,

@Mike, as far as I saw, you are using prefixes at both the bower mapping AND in the module name, which most likely results in duplicate paths. 

@Ryan the webpack approach should work just as expected with the files available in the trial bundle, too. In fact, our examples show how to load kendo.all.min.js. I am afraid that I am not sure what you mean the anguar/jquery parts - at any case, we have examples for that in the documentation, too.

In several other threads we have received numerous affirmative responses that the webpack/requirejs/systemjs configuration posted works as expected with the SP1 release. To avoid further confusion and potential misunderstanding that this problem is unresolved, I will close this thread.

Regards,
Petyo
Telerik

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Jack
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Answers by
Jack
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron