This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Nested Docking Controls

1 Answer 101 Views
Docking
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Liam
Top achievements
Rank 1
Liam asked on 25 Sep 2009, 02:24 AM
I've just had the opportunity to test upgrading from Silverlight 2 to Silverlight 3, and the Q2 2009 rad controls, and have hit an issue with my existing application.

My iniital screen consists of a RadDocking control, with a RadSplitContainer on the left to provide a menu sidebar, and a DocumentHost on the right, with a RadSplitContainer and RadDocumentPane inside, for content. 

When a user selects a menu option, I programatically set the RadDocumentPane.Content to be the relevant user control.  However, since moving to SL3 and Q2 2009, I am now presented with the following error message:

"Placing Docking control in another Docking control is not supported in the current version".

As a test, I launched the user controls within a RadWindow, that allowed the controls to be shown, although the context menus for child controls within these no longer worked.  These user controls do all contain RadDocking controls within them.

I currently have 20+ top level controls, with more on the way, that need to be displayed in the RadDocumentPane.Content, and for which extensive re-writing is not viable. 

1 Answer, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Miroslav Nedyalkov
Telerik team
answered on 25 Sep 2009, 01:05 PM
Hi Liam,

As the exception says placing Docking control in another Docking control is not supported, because it causes some issues. For situations like yours we've added a property to the Docking control called AllowUnsafeMode. If you set it to true (on the inner Docking control), you will disable the error. We don't recommend to do this, but we understand that sometimes it is too complex to migrate the architecture.

Regards,
Miroslav Nedyalkov
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Tags
Docking
Asked by
Liam
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Miroslav Nedyalkov
Telerik team
Share this question
or