This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

multiple row selection

14 Answers 380 Views
GridView
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
luca vignando
Top achievements
Rank 1
luca vignando asked on 31 May 2007, 08:12 PM
Hi,

is it possilble to have multiple rows on the rad gridview selected?

How can I do whis? I did not find a collection of selected rows in the object model of the grid.

Bye & tks

Luca

14 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Jack
Telerik team
answered on 01 Jun 2007, 11:59 AM
Hi Luca,

Thank you for your question.

The current version of RadGridView does not support multiple row selection, but this feature is in our TODO list with high priority for the next major release in September. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

All the best,
Jack
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions at the new Telerik Support Center
luca vignando
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 01 Jun 2007, 01:37 PM
Hi,

ok, Ill wait for September.

Meanwhile, is there a way to have a list of all rows belonging to a selected group? I mean: the grid is grouped by one or more fields, I click on the header of a group inside the grid and I would like to process all the rows of the group (I do not need to select them actually, but just to know what belongs to that group)

Bye & tks

Luca
Jack
Telerik team
answered on 01 Jun 2007, 04:41 PM
Hi Luca,

To iterate through all rows in a group you can use code similar to this one:

// We assume that the current row is group header row
foreach(GridViewRowInfo rowInfo in this.radGridView1.MasterGridViewInfo.CurrentRow.Rows)
{
    ProcessRow(rowInfo);
}

To access the group header row:

GridViewRowInfo row = ...;
GridViewRowInfo parentRow =  row.ParentRow;

All the best,
Jack
the Telerik team

Ryan Schneider
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Jul 2007, 05:18 PM
Just wanted to add this is also a showstopper for me using the RadGridView in a new project I'm working on.

Thanks,
Ryan
Jack
Telerik team
answered on 20 Jul 2007, 10:41 AM
Thank you for the feedback, Ryan. This is a major feature and we will implement it as soon as possible.

We will be glad if the community shares the importance of this request from their point of view. The more votes we get for this feature, the higher the chances that we will introduce this feature before the Q2 release.

Greetings,
Jack
the Telerik team

Phi
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Jul 2007, 11:41 PM
Hi people,

I also think this would be a good idea. I am currently implementing multiple row selection myself by adding a checkbox column.. and then the use "selects" a row by checking the checkbox.

Having this feature available automatically would be nice. I am thinking multiple row selection by holding the [Ctrl] key and clicking individual rows, but would be interested to see any other ideas.

Cheers
Phi
PortVista
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 24 Jul 2007, 06:49 PM
Looping through GridViewRowInfo is extremely slow compared to the normal datagrid. I'd have to use threading to do this operation, or the app would hang.

Does the normal datagrid even have a selected rows collection? At least support what the normal grid does at similar performance levels, or I can't use it at all.
Jack
Telerik team
answered on 25 Jul 2007, 02:30 PM
Guys, multiple row selection will most likely appear in <edit>Q2, which is due in September</edit>, however we will need your feedback on this before we dedicate resources on this feature.

We have created a new poll, "Help us shape RadGridView v.Next!," which we would like you to fill out. It will help us decide which features are most important for you so that we can focus on the most requested features. We will share the results of the poll weekly so that you can keep track of what the next GridView will feature. The poll will be featured on several places on our site.

Jason, looping through GridViewRowInfo is not slow. Could you give us more information on your case? We would like to research why you see such performance slowdowns, because you shouldn't.

I am not familiar with your case, but I can give you a quick suggestion. If you wish to change in some way the grid while looping through all rows, you should surround your code with BeginUpdate and EndUpdate:

this.radGridView1.GridElement.BeginUpdate();

foreach(GridViewRowInfo rowInfo in this.radGridView1.Rows)
{
    ProcessRow(rowInfo);
}

this.radGridView1.GridElement.EndUpdate(true);

We will be expecting the information on your exact case.

All the best,
Jack
the Telerik team

PortVista
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 25 Jul 2007, 02:49 PM
For Each Row As GridViewRowInfo In dgSelect.MasterGridViewInfo.Rows
    Row.Cells("Active").Value = True
Next

The cell is a checkbox, it takes about 10 seconds to run down 300 rows and change them from unchecked to checked. I did some similar things with a normal grid and it was pretty instant... I haven't fully tested all this though.
PortVista
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 25 Jul 2007, 02:56 PM
Jack I started to fill out the survey, but I stopped when I saw nf? And fam? What????
Vassil Petev
Telerik team
answered on 25 Jul 2007, 03:51 PM
PortVista,

These were codes we used when creating the survey. We have deleted them to avoid further confusion.

Feel free to fill out the survey at your leisure.

Jack will address the grid question shortly.

Greetings,
Rob
the Telerik team

Jack
Telerik team
answered on 25 Jul 2007, 04:19 PM
Hi PortVista,

When you loop trough rows and change their Value property, the grid is updated on every change. This is slowing down the loop. You can solve this issue by surrounding your code with BeginUpdate and EndUpdate, as already suggested:

dgSelect.GridElement.BeginUpdate()
For Each Row As GridViewRowInfo In dgSelect.MasterGridViewInfo.Rows
    Row.Cells("Active").Value = True
Next
dgSelect.GridElement.EndUpdate()

In our future versions we will improve the entire updating mechanism of RadGridView and there will be no need to call these functions. 

Kind regards,
Jack
the Telerik team

PortVista
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 25 Jul 2007, 04:44 PM
That works thanks. I think the survey is messed up though, it asks me the same exact questions twice, one form with "nf" and one with "fam"
Vassil Petev
Telerik team
answered on 25 Jul 2007, 04:52 PM
This has been fixed, ProtVista. If you see the old version of the survey, try the link again, but make sure to end the old session first (i.e. either finish the old survey, or clear the browser cache). Alternatively, you can take the survey in another browser. 

Let me know whether this helps.

Kind regards,
Rob
the Telerik team

Tags
GridView
Asked by
luca vignando
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by