Multiple controls in Toolbox in VS2010

107 posts, 1 answers
  1. TonyG
    TonyG avatar
    239 posts

Posted 23 Jul 2012 Link to this post

@Hugin - Unless you actually require prior versions of RadControls on your system, I recommend you completely uninstall all RadControls products (especially Dev hot-fixes), delete the related directories, check the GAC to ensure there are no left-overs, and then re-install the current version of each RadControls product you use (winforms, asp.net, etc). Especially check to make sure there are no old themes hanging around.

Reboot after uninstalling. Start VS after reboot and check status - you should not see RadControls and therefore should not see any duplication. Close VS, install a single RadControls product, then start VS to check results. You should not expect any duplication at all with the latest release, but if you do see duplication you'll know it's due to the last control set just installed. Repeat close VS, install, open VS, until done. Yes, it's a pain but you're doing this in a diagnostic mode just for this one problem. Once you get through this, you/we should never need to do this again.

HTH
  2. Bryan
    Bryan avatar
    6 posts

Posted 04 Sep 2012 Link to this post

Hello,

Like many of you I have also been having problems with VS2010 freezing up during startup or when opening the toolbox related to this outstanding issue.  Today I decided to do some analysis and see if I could determine the cause of the problem.  I have two workstations I use to develop on and both have this same issue so I reviewed the installation of the Telerik products on both to see if I could find the problem.  So far I have not been able to resolve the issue but I did find some issues that need to be addressed by the Telerik team. 

Below is the summary of my analysis:

For my two machines, the first had previous versions from before the Telerik Control Panel was released and the second was a first time install of 2012.2 using the Telerik Control Panel.

The first thing I noticed on the older machine was that the Telerik.Web.UI and Telerik.Web.UI.Skins assemblies installed in the .NET 2.0 GAC were version 2011.3.1115.35 and the Telerik.Web.Design.dll was version 2012.2.815.35.  I checked the newer machine's .NET 2.0 GAC and found that it only had the Telerik.Web.Design.dll assembly version 2012.2.815.35 installed.  The Telerik.Web.UI and Telerik.Web.UI.Skins assemblies were missing.  I then checked the .NET 4.0 GAC on both machines and found that the Telerik.Web.UI and Telerik.Web.UI.Skins assemblies were also missing from both .NET 4.0 GACs on these machines.

Based on this analysis I highly suspect that the 'RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX' installer and/or the Telerik Control Panel are missing the Telerik.Web.UI and Telerik.Web.UI.Skins assemblies from their .NET 2.0 and .NET 4.0 GAC install processes and perhaps other assemblies that depend on these assemblies were built with an incorrect version which could explain a tool initialization error.

To test this theory I removed the older assemblies from the one machine and then proceeded to install the Telerik.Web.UI and Telerik.Web.UI.Skins assemblies into the .NET 2.0 and .NET 4.0 GAC's from the Program Files Telerik folders on both machines.

I then ran the TelerikToolboxCleaner for all four product suites closing VS2010 as soon as it was loaded each time without opening any projects.  Then I ran the Toolbox Configurator for all four product suites installing the Bin40 versions using the InstallFolder option. 

Finally I launched VS2010 and opened a Telerik ASP.NET AJAX project to see if the issue was resolved.  I restarted and opened the project and unfortunately the issue still exists.

Perhaps the missing assemblies are part of the issue and maybe some of the supporting assemblies that are loaded into the toolbox were built with the wrong version.  It's hard to say but maybe this will help the Telerik team figure out why this is occurring.

I also tried this same process without installing the Telerik Silverlight products and it has no effect.  Please let me know if there is anything I can do to assist you in resolving this issue as it is a huge productivity killer for me.

Thank you,

Bryan Farrell

3. UI for ASP.NET Ajax is Ready for VS 2017
  4. Andrey
    Admin
    Andrey avatar
    244 posts

Posted 06 Sep 2012 Link to this post

Hello Bryan,

Telerik.Web.UI.dll and Telerik.Web.UI.Skins.dll do not get added to the GAC by any of our installers, as they are not needed there and you are likely to have trouble deploying your application if you use GAC references in your project.

It would be most helpful if you could send us a Visual Studio activity log.

You start Visual Studio with logging enabled by using the following command line:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe /log C:\Temp\VisualStudioActivity.log

As the forum only allows image attachments, you can then send the resulting log to clientservice@telerik.com and reply in the thread. I will then take a look and try to find the cause for the issue.

All the best,
    Andrey
    the Telerik team
    If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
  5. Bryan
    Bryan avatar
    6 posts

Posted 11 Sep 2012 Link to this post

Hi Andrey,

I removed those dll's from the GAC on both machines and I am having mixed results.  I ran the TelerikToolboxCleaner on both machines and after that ran the Toolbox Configurator for all four product suites using the .NET 4.0 builds from the InstallFolder.  The first thing I noticed was that after clearing everything off when I run the Configurator on the second machine (first time install of 2012.2 using the Telerik Control Panel) it did not show any items already configured in the tool box for all four products.  On the first machine however the RadControls for Winforms Toolbox Configurator showed the .NET 4.0 version installed in the toolbox even after clearing everything out.  The other three did not show anything installed in the Toolbox when I installed them.

After this process the second machine seems to be working correctly.  I was able to launch VS and found it loaded up much faster.  I was then able to open a Telerik ASP.NET AJAX project multiple times without any lag in VS or creation of new Toolbox menus.  On the first machine however this process did not work.  It is still lagging for almost 3 minutes when I first click on the toolbox and multiple menu items are still being created.  I also got a couple of errors from a call to GetUpgradeAvailabilityMonitor() which I took screenshots of.  As you have requested I will be emailing you an activity log and these screenshots so you can review them and look for any issues.

Using a comparison tool I was able to split the log into three files:

ActivityLog_LoadingVS2010.xml - The log data from the start of VS 2010 until the UI is finished loading;  ActivityLog_VS2010Loaded_ClickOnToolbox.xml - After the UI is finished loading, clicked on the Toolbox without any project or solution loaded (about 3 min lag), then once UI was responsive again exited VS 2010. This is the complete log file.
    ActivityLog_JustClickOnToolbox.xml - Just the portion of the log file that occurs after I clicked on the Toolbox.

Hopefully with this data you can find out why this is still occuring on the one machine.

Thank you,

Bryan Farrell
  6. Andrey
    Admin
    Andrey avatar
    244 posts

Posted 17 Sep 2012 Link to this post

Hi Bryan,

Sorry for my late reply. Thank you for the detailed explanation and the log file.

I looked through the log file and the only errors there were related to the Reflector Visual Studio addin.That should not cause any issues like the ones you are experiencing. Other than that - the log looks normal. 

I just want to add something here, which might not be clear: the issue itself is not the long load time - there are a lot of controls to load, which normally takes a long time. The issue is all controls get loaded each and every time Visual Studio starts, whereas those should be only loaded the first time around and cached.

The log did reveal some Ria services assemblies getting loaded in the toolbox. Could you try disabling the WCF Ria Services toolbox integration?

As outlined earlier in the thread, you can do that by deleting the following registry keys:
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319\AssemblyFoldersEx\RIA Services Toolkit Libraries\Toolbox
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Silverlight\v4.0\AssemblyFoldersEx\Ria Services v1.0 Silverlight Libraries\Toolbox
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Silverlight\v5.0\AssemblyFoldersEx\Ria Services v1.0 Silverlight Libraries\Toolbox

Note: You should omit Wow6432Node from the above paths in case you're running a 32 bit version of Windows.

Let me know if that helps.

All the best,
    Andrey
    the Telerik team
    If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
  7. Bryan
    Bryan avatar
    6 posts

Posted 25 Sep 2012 Link to this post

Hi Andrey,

I was finally able to take some time and work on the one workstation that was still having the issue and I have finally fixed it and it now also loads much faster and does not duplicate the toolbox items.  To clarify it was taking a long time to load because it was recreating the toolbox items each time VS2010 started up.  I did find the Toolbox folder in two of the three registry keys that you mentioned and that alone might have been the issue bute in addition to deleting those keys I also decided to run thru a bunch of steps to thoroughly clean out everything and after that the issue was finally resolved.  I am going to list all the steps I took here so that it is all in one place for myself and others to reference in the future.

Thanks again for your help in solving this annoying issue,

Bryan Farrell

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clean Telerik controls from Visual Studio 2010 to fix toolbox issues.

1. Close all Visual Studio instances
      2. Run latest version of Telerik Control Panel and update all installed products.
      3. Check .NET 2.0 and .NET 4.0 GACs and remove any old Telerik Assemblies installed from prior versions that are no longer being referenced.  (Good rule of thumb is if the assembly is not in the Telerik Program Files folder it should not be in the GAC on your development machine.  As always use caution and good judgment when altering the GAC.)
      4. Run the Telerik ToolboxItemFixer for each Telerik Suite installed.  After VS2010 finishes loading exit immediately and repeat process for each Telerik Suite installed.
      5. Close all Visual Studio instances
      6. Run Regedit
      7. Navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\(Wow6432Node\)Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ToolboxControlsInstaller. Please note, the path should not contain the Wow6432Node on a 32-bit machine.
      8. Delete all the Telerik.... subkeys (if any exist)
      9. Navigate to the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ToolboxControlsInstallerCache
      10. Delete all the Telerik... subkeys (if any exist)
      11. Navigate to the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ToolboxControlsInstaller 
      12. Delete all the Telerik... subkeys (if any exist)
      13. Navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\Packages\{2c298b35-07da-45f1-96a3-be55d91c8d7a}\Toolbox
      14. Update the value of the Default Items value (increase it by 1, make sure it is greater than 0)
      15. Delete the following key if it exists: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319\AssemblyFoldersEx\RIA Services Toolkit Libraries\Toolbox
      16. Delete the following key if it exists: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Silverlight\v4.0\AssemblyFoldersEx\Ria Services v1.0 Silverlight Libraries\Toolbox
      17. Delete the following key if it exists: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Silverlight\v5.0\AssemblyFoldersEx\Ria Services v1.0 Silverlight Libraries\Toolbox
      18. Start a Windows Explorer instance.
      19. Navigate to the following folder:  %localappdata%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0
      20. Delete all the *.tbd files.  (note, you would need to have the System and Hidden files visible to see the TBD files)
      21. Start Visual Studio
      22.  Use the Telerik -> RadControls for [ProductName] -> ToolboxConfigurator menu in Visual Studio to add the distribution you need to the Toolbox (Made sure to use the Local
      23. Create a new dummy Telerik project and check if the Toolbox items will get populated properly
      24. Close Visual Studio and start it again to check if the ToolboxControlsInstaller package will try repopulating the controls again.

8. Androide
    Androide avatar
    3 posts

Posted 21 Nov 2012 Link to this post

Hi,

The Telerik tool box cleaner work fine for me but, it not possible to fix the telerik reporting toolbox item with it.
    Can you update the tool box cleaner for incorporate reporting items?

Thank
  9. Petar
    Admin
    Petar avatar
    219 posts

Posted 27 Nov 2012 Link to this post

Hello Marthin,

Thank you for contacting us! We will consider your suggestion.

In order to repair the Telerik Reporting Toolbox items I suggest you run repair of the Telerik Reporting installation.

Greetings,
    Petar
    the Telerik team
  10. Wayne
    Wayne avatar
    36 posts

Posted 09 Jan 2014 Link to this post

Followed the recommended answer here.  It removed my wait time, but not the duplicates.  I'm happy with that.

I'm not spending anymore time on this issue, it should just work guys...please update the installer to check for duplicates or something, it's quite annoying.

Thanks,

Wayne
  11. Vesko
    Admin
    Vesko avatar
    97 posts

Posted 14 Jan 2014 Link to this post

Hello Wayne,

I am glad to hear that you resolved (even partially) the issue on your side. Your feedback will be considered as well.

Regards,
    Vesko
    Telerik
    If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to the blog feed now.
  12. Timothy
    Timothy avatar
    37 posts

Posted 31 Jan 2014 in reply to Bryan Link to this post

Step 14  says "Update the value of the Default Items value (increase it by 1, make sure it is greater than 0)". I had found some advice to delete the whole key: {2c298b35-07da-45f1-96a3-be55d91c8d7a}, which of course made all of the Telerik controls disappear. I restored the key but how do I know what Default Items value should really be. I have my controls again (after following all of these steps) but now they are duplicating each time I start my project. I've tried 1 and 2 so far. Is it based on how many third party control suites installed, etc.? There must be some way to logically fix this without so much arbitrary registry edits.
  13. Petar
    Admin
    Petar avatar
    219 posts

Posted 05 Feb 2014 Link to this post

Hi Timothy,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing Toolbox issues. Since the problem is rather machine specific it requires different approach depending on your current software configuration. I would suggest you to open a separate support ticket so that we can handle you specific case.

Please excuse the inconvenience caused.

Regards,
    Petar
    Telerik
    If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the UI for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to the blog feed now.
  14. Joshua
    Joshua avatar
    2 posts

Posted 26 Jun 2014 Link to this post

Thanks Tomashiba. I had same issue after upgrading to 2014 Q2 controls. I also have both VS 2010 and VS2012 on my machine so that may have contributed. But the suggestion you referred to, deleting all the .tbd files, worked beautifully. And on the plus side, projects load much more quickly again.
  15. Dyanko
    Admin
    Dyanko avatar
    122 posts

Posted 30 Jun 2014 Link to this post

Hi Joshua,

Thank you for writing.

I am glad to hear you have found a solution for your problem in this forum thread. I will mark your request as closed on our side. You can later re-open it in case further questions arise.

Please let us know in case any further assistance is needed.

Regards,
    Dyanko
    Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

16. Joel
    Joel avatar
    53 posts

Posted 26 Nov 2014 Link to this post

I am using Telerik 2014 Q3.
    What i am facing is described here, and i wonder is there any new solution without resorting to uninstall everything.

http://www.telerik.com/help/winforms/installation-deployment-and-distribution-adding-radcontrols-to-visual-studio-toolbox.html
    Multiple entries per control, number increasing with each start of the IDE: this is the worst scenario we have come across. All the registry entries and files on the customer machine seemed fine in this case. The only fix we were able to apply was a complete uninstall of Telerik UI for WinForms and Visual Studio 2010, followed by a clean install of the IDE and the suite.

17. Dyanko
    Admin
    Dyanko avatar
    122 posts

Posted 28 Nov 2014 Link to this post

Hello Joel,

Thank you for reaching us.

The duplication is caused by a bug in the Visual Studio 2010 Toolbox over which we don't have control. Fortunately, it is not present in Visual Studio 2012 or later versions as far as we know.

Have you tried uninstalling WCF Ria Services from Add/Remove Programs? Some customers have fixed the issue by uninstalling it.

I would also recommend you to clean the Toolbox cache which is created by the Visual Studio. Here are the steps you need to take in order to do that:
    1. Close all Visual Studio instances;
    2. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the directory %localappdata%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0
    3. Make sure that the option 'Show hidden files...' is selected in the Windows Explorer options;
    4. Delete all *.tbd files;
    5. Start Visual Studio 2010 and use the Toolbox Configurator wizard to set the required controls version.

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,
    Dyanko
    Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

18. Joel
    Joel avatar
    53 posts

Posted 04 Dec 2014 in reply to Dyanko Link to this post

Hi Dyanko,

Bingo!!
    For my case, the culprit is WCF RIA Services.
    Thanks.
UI for ASP.NET Ajax is Ready for VS 2017