Multiple controls in Toolbox in VS2010

107 posts, 1 answers
  1. Petar
    Admin
    Petar avatar
    219 posts

Posted 21 Mar 2012 Link to this post

Hello,

Indeed, this solves some Toolbox items issues. The reason is that the ToolboxControlsInstaller VS package, that handles third party Toolbox items registration is by-passed thus no Toolbox items registration happens for the RadControls.

While this is a quick approach it is not recommended because it cuts Visual Studio's functionality. Better approach is repairing the Visual Studio installation which requires more time.

Please, have in mind the above information if you decide to apply the suggested work around.

Regards,
    Petar
    the Telerik team
    If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
  2. Michael O'Flaherty
    Michael O'Flaherty avatar
    67 posts

I guess I don't understand is why my Telerik Silverlight controls nor Component One's suite don't exhibit this problem ??? This seems to be an issue with the ASP controls.
  3. UI for ASP.NET Ajax is Ready for VS 2017
  4. Hector Medrano
    Hector Medrano avatar
    8 posts

I agree, my approach is not the best option but I could not deal with it any longer.  I tried all fixes listed and none of them worked.  In my case, it was happening with all Telerik Controls (ASP.net, Silverlight, and Reporting). Only with the telerik ones. Standard VS controls were fine.
  5. Mike
    Mike avatar
    8 posts

Posted 22 Mar 2012 Link to this post

The tool and walkthroughs work initially, but everytime I reboot my machine the controls get replicated.
  6. Clark Roberts
    Clark Roberts avatar
    8 posts

Same thing happens to me. I will delete the Telerik tabs and execute the TelerikToolboxCleaner, however,everytime I open a new instance of VS 2010 the more duplicate entries show up in the toolbox. It automatically loads from both the GAC and dll itself.  Obviously the issue has to be addressed.
  7. Michael O'Flaherty
    67 posts

Agreed. However, the solution provided by Hector Medrano in this thread works great. It alleviated our pain with it.
  8. Clark Roberts
    Clark Roberts avatar
    8 posts

The solution provided by Hector Medrano in this thread works great. Thanks, however, I still have the problem with Telerik Reporting.
  9. Hector Medrano
    Hector Medrano avatar
    8 posts

Clark, there might be other installation packages that could be causing it. I believe that when VS opens, and the controls start to load, it shows you some text at the left bottom corner of the VS window showing which package is installing. That was what was slowing VS startup and causing my multiple controls. 

On another note,  I do recognize that while my solution seems to be working, the controls might have to be manually installed on every telerik upgrade.  I am willing to live with that at this point. Many hours spent trying to figure it out and believe me, working without the multiple controls is a lot less frustrating.  So hope it helps folks out there until we get the right fix.

I am a big Telerik fan and hope the Telerik folks don't take this the wrong way. 
  10. Michael O'Flaherty
    67 posts

Posted 23 Mar 2012 Link to this post

Sure; every upgrade/install of tools may require rebuilding the toolbox. However, compared to VS grinding to a halt every time you switch to design view or starting it, it is well worth it. Also, having all Telerik controls alphabetical in one tab is a lot nicer than the 5 or so they create.
  11. Hector Medrano
    Hector Medrano avatar
    8 posts

Posted 23 Mar 2012 Link to this post

I have to agree it is well worth it and having the controls in one tab is better.
  12. Petar
    Admin
    Petar avatar
    219 posts

Posted 28 Mar 2012 Link to this post

Hello all,

I am really sorry that the RadControls cause you such troubles when integrating with the Visual Studio Toolbox.

As I have said before we are working close with Microsoft so that we can smooth the Toolbox integration. Before each release we ensure that the Toolbox integration works as expected and I guess that it works OK for most scenarios. Unfortunately there are clients who experience Toolbox issues.

We will keep our effort towards improving the experience, because or goal is to make your life easier.

Greetings,
    Petar
    the Telerik team
    If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
  13. Eric
    Eric avatar
    4 posts

Thanks Hector,

The multiplication of Telerik controls reminds me of a certain Star Trek episode involving Tribbles...

Thanks, your solution seems to have worked here. One thing of note for the Telerik types... for me at least the OpenAccess tab never suffered from this problem.

-e

PS. I agree with other posts here, having the option of putting all the Telerik controls in one tab would be fantastic!

14. Hector Medrano
    Hector Medrano avatar
    8 posts

Glad I could help.
  15. Erik
    Erik avatar
    4 posts

Posted 27 Apr 2012 Link to this post

I have the same problem with both the RadControls for Silverlight and RadControls for WPF. I tried everything including the TelerikToolboxCleaner but the problem keeps coming back whenever the 'WCF RIA Services' is installed.

It's pretty much unworkable if you need Silverlight, RIA and RadControls for Silverlight. Hope there is a solution soon for this.

16. Andrey
    Admin
    Andrey avatar
    244 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 Link to this post

Hi Erik,

You could just disable the WCF Ria Services toolbox integration instead of completely removing the toolkit. To do that, you just need to delete the following registry keys:

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319\AssemblyFoldersEx\RIA Services Toolkit Libraries\Toolbox
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Silverlight\v4.0\AssemblyFoldersEx\Ria Services v1.0 Silverlight Libraries\Toolbox
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Silverlight\v5.0\AssemblyFoldersEx\Ria Services v1.0 Silverlight Libraries\Toolbox

Note: You should ommit Wow6432Node from the above paths in case you're running a 32 bit version of Windows.

As per the suggestion for adding all Telerik controls in a single tab, I have logged a feature request on your behalf. You can track progress on its implementation and vote in order to raise its priority through our public issue tracker here: Link.

Regards,
    Andrey,
    the Telerik team

17. Erik
    Erik avatar
    4 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 Link to this post

Thanx Andrey, removing the registry keys does the trick !
  18. TonyG
    TonyG avatar
    239 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 Link to this post

I'm glad I accidentally found this topic. I was referred to the VS Extensions group where I found this announcement, but no followup.
    I just deleted my tbd files and reset my toolbox but the problem remains.

I'm considering Hector Medrano's solution from 3/13. Is there any other wisdom on this topic before I go down that dark and not so painless path?

Thanks!

(In this case, misery does not love company)

EDIT: Just found this thread with acknowledgement and an invitation from Microsoft to help find and fix the issue. It's good, check it out.
  19. Rick Hubka
    Rick Hubka avatar
    33 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 Link to this post

Hi had the same issue.  Drove me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uninstall WCF RIA SERVICES V1.0 SP 2

Then reset Toolbars

Fixed for me
  20. TonyG
    TonyG avatar
    239 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 Link to this post

Thanks, but Nope. I had WCF RIA Services v1 SP1, uninstalled, removed .tbd files, reset toolbox, rebooted, and I still get duplicates every time I open a web project. Even if the project isn't using RadControls, every Telerik tab has the full set of controls followed by yet another full set of controls.

From the forum posting I referenced, Josh Stevens at Microsoft says "This is caused by some registered assembly triggering an exception when we try to load it; the exception interrupts the toolbox update process and the toolbox "forgets" about the controls it has already added, so they get re-added again when you restart VS."

I've generated logs and looked at them and some exceptions are being thrown, like "PkgDef encountered data collision" with a Snippet Designer addin. And a couple other registry issues it flags. But I'm not qualified to work out these details. I've offered to send them to Josh and asked him if he wants to hook up with someone at Telerik to try to resolve this. I have a 100% easily reproducible case here. Someone needs to be able to figure this out.

More later...
  21. Hector Medrano
    Hector Medrano avatar
    8 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 Link to this post

I have not had a problem ever since.  However, I have yet to update to a new version to see if the problem comes back.  It was very frustrating working with the multiple controls so I understand everyone's frustration.  Hope they come up with a permanent fix soon.
  22. Andrey
    Admin
    Andrey avatar
    244 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 Link to this post

Hi Tony,

I am sorry to hear you are still experiencing issues. Having various errors in the Visual Studio activity log is usually a sign you need to repair Visual Studio.

If you are willing to share your log file, you could send it to clientservice@telerik.com and I will take a look. Just make sure to mention this thread in your email.

Kind regards,
    Andrey
    the Telerik team
  23. Lymber
    Lymber avatar
    1 posts

Posted 19 Jun 2012 Link to this post

My third party components were doubling each time VS 2010 started. So i had to reset VS toolbox by deleting the .tbd files and deleting some registry keys for these third party components and then uninstalling the RIA toolkit. Then VS works fine. But once i install the RIA toolkit, the problem starts again with the third party components duplicating each time VS starts.
  24. Adam Jones
    Adam Jones avatar
    6 posts

Posted 24 Jun 2012 Link to this post

I had this problem with my toolbox in Visual Studio. My solution was as a combination of multiple ideas, but they seem to have fixed the problem.

1. Close Visual Studio
    2. Delete the TDB files from %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0
    3. Load Visual Studio
    4. Right Click Toolbox - Show All
    5. Delete Groups
    6. Right Click - Reset Toolbox
    7. Exit Visual Studio

I have loaded Visual Studio about four or five times and the problem seems to have disappeared, I was getting annoyed about this as everytime I loaded Visual Studio every custom control was added again and again.

25. TonyG
    TonyG avatar
    239 posts

Posted 24 Jun 2012 Link to this post

I followed Adam's notes but on loading my first RadControls project I immediately got 3x on every control in the toolbox. I did the procedure a couple times and at one point after reset of the toolbox I got 4x on every control. This is unbearable. I'm going to try to spend some time with Josh Stevens at Microsoft to get this resolved.

Note that I do not have RIA services/toolkit installed, I have deleted tdb files, and I do not have RIA entries in my registry. For reference, I'm also running VS in administrator mode because I'm doing Office add-in development which registers components.

For those who are trying this, where Adam's procedure may help, add step 3a, go to menu>View>Toolbox. Otherwise the toolbox may not display until you load a project, and then it will only show controls for that specific project type. Also, you can quickly delete toolbox tab groups with the delete key, you don't need to right click and delete each one.
  26. Henzard Kruger
    Henzard Kruger avatar
    5 posts

Posted 25 Jun 2012 Link to this post

Hi to all.

I had the same problem with the multiple controls for the ASP Ajax control.
    I tried everything from the above responses and nothing fixed it.

So I played around a bit and finally found that in the choose items of the toolbox all the assemblies form the previous telerik control versions are also selected. 

So my fix:

1. Right click in the toolbox.
    2. Select 'Choose Toolbox Items'
    3. Uncheck all the previous assemblies of the controls.
    4. Click OK, wait for toolbox to load and it works.

PS: Takes a while to Uncheck all, but works.

I've restarted multiple times after this and no problems.

So maybe this is causing the error, telerik. Maybe you can work in a fix to remove the old assembles from the toolbox.

Hope This helps!
    Cheers from a Sunny South Africa!
  27. Adam Jones
    Adam Jones avatar
    6 posts

Posted 25 Jun 2012 Link to this post

Hi TonyG,

Everyone who seems to be suffering from this problem is trying different ideas, I have just found one that worked for me, did not say that it would work for everyone else.

I have tried about another half a dozen suggestions including...
    1. Start with Different Switches (/safemode, /log, /resetsettngs, /resetskippkgs)
    2. Rename registry entry for HKLM & HKLU \Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ToolboxControlsInstaller
    3. Delete .TDB and restart VS
    4. Uninstall RIA
    5. Delete all {2c298b35-07da-45f1-96a3-be55d91c8d7a} entries in registry
    6. Remove Silverlight toolbox references registry

Everytime they seemed to fail, but it all seems to be hit and miss at this time.

Just tried and found another solution, may help one more person....

Adam

28. Answer
    TonyG
    TonyG avatar
    239 posts

Posted 28 Jun 2012 Link to this post

I exchanged notes with Josh Stevens at Microsoft about the issue, passing him a series of logs from VS2010, and he was able to diagnose the issue for my specific environment.
    Telerik Inc developers, you'll want to take note!

===================

It appears that the toolbox encountered an unexpected exception after the following log entry:

<entry>

<record>395</record>

<time>2012/06/24 22:47:08.853</time>

<type>Information</type>

<source>Microsoft.VisualStudio.IDE.ToolboxControlsInstaller.ToolboxInstallerPackage</source>

<description>Attempting to get Toolbox items from Assembly Telerik.WinControls.Themes.Office2010Black, Version=2012.1.517.20, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5bb2a467cbec794e</description>

</entry>

There's insufficient log information to say *why* that assembly caused an exception, but we should be able to work around your problem by unregistering it.

===================

That key refers to a pre-release Dev HotFix provided by Telerik. I've since updated to a new production release so I'm sure I don't need that anymore.

He directed me to this registry key:
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ToolboxControlsInstaller
    "Telerik.WinControls.Themes.Office2010Black, Version=2012.1.517.20, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5bb2a467cbec794e"

I deleted that key. Josh suggested that I also delete either or both of these if they exist:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ToolboxControlsInstaller_AssemblyFoldersExCache

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ToolboxControlsInstallerCache

I deleted the second which was the only one there. (That one is mentioned elsewhere in this thread.)

Finally I deleted all of the TBD files (note, not TDB).

On restarting VS2010, not only was the problem with duplicate items fixed but so was the issue reported where VS does a long pause on this:
    Loading toolbox content from package

'Microsoft.VisualStudio.IDE.ToolboxControlsInstaller,

ToolboxInstallerPackage'{2C298B35-07DA-45F1-96A3-BE55D91C8D7A}

If someone else does this and the problem does not go away, contact Josh, or you can contact me and I'll forward info to him.

Our take-away from this exercise is as follows:

1. Before publishing assemblies, Telerik and others should be monitoring VS10 log files for otherwise silent exceptions thrown from their controls. I understand that I had a Dev HotFix but we've identified another source of exception notifications that Telerik should be using to QA all published assemblies.
    2. VS10 doesn't report this kind of toolbox control issue. I have been told that a forthcoming version of VS2012 does not duplicate toolbox items when an error like this occurs, and that developers will be told when something like this happens so that they can report issues to their control providers.

I hope this helps others using RadControls.

29. Petar
    Admin
    Petar avatar
    219 posts

Posted 03 Jul 2012 Link to this post

Hello Tony,

Thank you for the detailed information that you have provided. I think it could be helpful to anyone for identifying the reason for any Toolbox issues. I am glad that you managed to resolve the problem on your side

I checked the Toolbox integration with the latest WinForms components (Q2 2012) and I didn't identify any issues. We actually check the Toolbox integration thoroughly before each official release. Latest internal builds, on the other hand, don't pass the same tests in regards to Toolbox integration thus it is possible to cause issues when upgrading the Toolbox to a latest internal build.

Thanks again for the effort and the help. I have updated your Telerik points.

Regards,
    Petar
    the Telerik team
  30. Hugin
    Hugin avatar
    1 posts

Posted 23 Jul 2012 Link to this post

Hi,

I have the same problem with the toolbox taking over 5 mins to load. The duplicates is if you install controls for both the .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.0.

I also have DevExpress installed and ReSharper and I never had the toolbox loading problem until I installed Telerik controls 2012 Q1 and then updated to 2012 Q2. Now my toolbox takes forever to load.

If I delete the registry entry as stated above, the toolbox loads immediately, but non of the Telerik controls appear in the toolbox.
  31. Petar
    Admin
    Petar avatar
    219 posts

Posted 23 Jul 2012 Link to this post

Hello Hugin,

The problem behind deleting the ToolboxControlsInstaller registry entry is that this way you disable the ToolboxControlsInstaller package. This package's intent is to register third-party controls in the Toolbox. We register all our controls using it. This means that when you disable it you disable the Toolbox integration that we provide for our controls. You can still add them using the 'Chose Items...' dialog but it requires more effort.

Before removing this registry key we strongly recommend that you try to repair your Visual Studio installation.

All the best,
    Petar
    the Telerik team
UI for ASP.NET Ajax is Ready for VS 2017