Multiple controls in Toolbox in VS2010

107 posts, 1 answers
  1. Sebastian
    Admin
    Sebastian avatar
    9934 posts

Posted 07 Sep 2011 Link to this post

Hello Tim,

Thank you for posting your findings in this public forum thread - thus you can help other people who stumbled upon this issue. I updated your Telerik points for the involvement.

Best regards,
    Sebastian
    the Telerik team

Thank you for being the most amazing .NET community! Your unfailing support is what helps us charge forward! We'd appreciate your vote for Telerik in this year's DevProConnections Awards. We are competing in mind-blowing 20 categories and every vote counts! VOTE for Telerik NOW >>

2. Sjoerd
    Sjoerd avatar
    9 posts

Posted 15 Nov 2011 Link to this post

Tim,

Thanks for all your research.

I am currently trialling the Telerik suite and quikcly ran into exactly the same issue. In my case it was the September 2011 version of the WCF RIA Services Toolkit, but this too caused slow starts of VS2010 and an additional set of all Telerik controls with each start.

However, in my case I did not have to uninstall the Telerik controls. Uninstalling the RIA Toolkit and resetting the toolbox was enough. Nevertheless not something I'd like to do on a daily basis.

I'm a bit surprised though to see that this problem was first reported more than a year ago and still hasn't been solved.

Sjoerd

3. UI for ASP.NET Ajax is Ready for VS 2017
  4. Adam
    Adam avatar
    5 posts

Posted 30 Nov 2011 Link to this post

Im also having this problem and I do have the WCF RIA Toolkit Sep 2011 installed. However, I need the RIA toolkit so uninstalling is not a good option for me.

I do have another pc with ria services installed and no telerik and it does not have this problem. Therfefore I think its still related to telerik.

Very frustrating because I am very happy with the telerik controls except for this issue.

-Adam
  5. Aylin
    Admin
    Aylin avatar
    75 posts

Posted 02 Dec 2011 Link to this post

Hi Adam,

The ToolboxControlsInstaller package is part of the IDE, taking care of the toolbox items. It operates through registry entries, added by the third-party installers (such as the RadControls one). Unfortuntely, it happens that under unknown circumstances the ToolboxControlsInstaller gets broken and starts behaving erroneously. Such a behavior is the population of the Toolbox items on each start you experience.

With trials and errors the Telerik team identified several steps that usually help avoid this problem. You might want to try them as well. Please note, you should be careful when performing these, as they involve registry modification. Here they are:

1. Close all Visual Studio instances
    2. Run Regedit
    3. Navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\(Wow6432Node\)Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ToolboxControlsInstaller. Please note, the path should not contain the Wow6432Node on a 32-bit machine.
    4. Delete all the Telerik.... subkeys (if any exist)
    5. Navigate to the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ToolboxControlsInstallerCache
    6. Delete all the Telerik... subkeys (if any exist)
    7. Navigate to the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ToolboxControlsInstaller 
    8. Delete all the Telerik... subkeys (if any exist)
    9. Navigate to the following key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\Packages\{2c298b35-07da-45f1-96a3-be55d91c8d7a}\Toolbox
    10. Update the value of the Default Items value (increase it by 1, make sure it is greater than 0)
    11. Start a Windows Explorer instance.
    12. Navigate to the following folder:%localappdata%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0
    13. Delete all the *.tbd files (note, you would need to have the System and Hidden files visible to see the TBD files)
    14. Start Visual Studio
    15.  Use the Telerik -> RadControls for [ProductName] -> ToolboxConfigurator menu in Visual Studio to add the distribution you need to the Toolbox
    16. Create a new dummy Telerik project and check if the Toolbox items will get populated properly
    17. Close Visual Studio and start it again to check if the ToolboxControlsInstaller package will try repopulating the controls again.

Let me know if that helps.

Best Regards,
    VSXTeam Aylin
    the Telerik team
    If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now
  6. lori guymon
    lori guymon avatar
    23 posts

Posted 08 Dec 2011 Link to this post

This resolved the problem for me.  Thank you very much for taking the time to find a fix to this pesky problem!!
  7. Adam
    Adam avatar
    5 posts

Posted 18 Dec 2011 Link to this post

This worked! thanks.

One issue though, The vs menu item to add back the toolbox items for telerik let me add the telerik silverlight controls but now how to I add back the silverlight reporting components to the toolbox?

thanks,
    Adam
  8. Erjan Gavalji
    Admin
    Erjan Gavalji avatar
    1455 posts

Posted 19 Dec 2011 Link to this post

Hi Adam,

A good catch indeed!
    To my regret the Telerik Reporting suite still does not contain a ToolboxConfigurator-like functionality and the only option is a reinstall of the Reporting itself.

I just logged this as a feature request and we'll do our best to have it implemented in the nearest future.

Kind regards,
    Erjan Gavalji
    the Telerik team
    If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now
  9. Andreas Decke
    Andreas Decke avatar
    25 posts

Posted 13 Jan 2012 Link to this post

Hello,

the problem occurs repeatedly (Silverlight, ASP.NET AJAX, WPF). I ran the tip it and follow the toolbox is ok. But after I installed an update (Telerik msi), the controls are again several times in the Tollbox. The loading of a project then takes a long time.

Andreas
  10. Geert
    Geert avatar
    1 posts

Posted 15 Jan 2012 Link to this post

Hi,
    This might be related to:
    http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/551183/loading-toolbox-content-from-package-takes-55-seconds-or-more

See my reply on it: (I am not using Telerik, but another set of third party components)

"...I had the same problem after installing SL5. The side effect was that some third-party components were duplicated in the toolbox each time VS was started.

I noticed that SL5 Tools for VS also installs RIA Services 1.0 SP2. As there were already some hints that RIA caused simimar problems in the past, I decided to uninstall that one. I also reset the VS toolbox and deleted the *.tbd files. The next start of VS took some time (rebuilding the tbd files) but since then, VS startup is smooth and I have no duplication of toolbox items anymore..."

Geert

11. Erjan Gavalji
    Admin
    Erjan Gavalji avatar
    1455 posts

Posted 18 Jan 2012 Link to this post

Hi guys,

(Cross-linking the other thread regarding the Toolbox:
    http://www.telerik.com/community/forums/silverlight/vs-extensions/silverlight-tools-repeated-3-times-on-toolbar.aspx)

Just wanted to update you we are working on a tool to apply the fix steps suggested and hopefully have the Toolbox configuration errors reduced.

I will keep you posted on the progress.

Kind regards,
    Erjan Gavalji
    the Telerik team
  12. Karl Golling
    Karl Golling avatar
    226 posts

Posted 19 Jan 2012 Link to this post

Experiencing the same problem. Tried the above suggestions. When creating a dummy project some of the telerik controls are there for the first time. When the new project is reloaded the controls that were there are double, then triple and so on. A lot of the telerik controls are missing...

Karl 
  13. Mark Challenger
    Mark Challenger avatar
    1 posts

Posted 26 Jan 2012 Link to this post

That did not work for me. :(
  14. Dave Galligher
    Dave Galligher avatar
    37 posts

Posted 14 Feb 2012 Link to this post

Me either and nor can I execute all steps outlined above. Majority of our development is with WinForms and WPF, not to say there are not a few WPF apps I would like to use the tools in, but with this mess, it is very frustrating.

Navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\(Wow6432Node\)Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ToolboxControlsInstaller. Please note, the path should not contain the Wow6432Node on a 32-bit machine. 

ToolboxControlsInstaller does not exist on on the Windows 7 box, the closest items are: ToolboxItemConfiguration and ToolboxPages. There is no ToolboxControlsInstaller key on this machine.

In addition to the above, after I was finally able to delete Q3 2011 (11.3.1116.0) version, manually deleting each group in the toolbox that have the RadControls in them, then opting to reset the toolbox all of the Rad Control groups are rebuilt again, interesting, because at this point according to the Windows software uninstaller there are no Telerik controls on the computer.
  15. Chavdar Dimitrov
    Admin
    Chavdar Dimitrov avatar
    104 posts

Posted 14 Feb 2012 Link to this post

Hello Dave,

This step is not applicable for each machine and should be skipped if the registry doesn't exists.

About the Q3 2011 groups - after performing the steps these groups should disappear.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Best regards,
    Chavdar,
    the Telerik team
    Sharpen your .NET Ninja skills! Attend Q1 webinar week and get a chance to win a license! Book your seat now >>
  16. Michael O'Flaherty
    Michael O'Flaherty avatar
    67 posts

Posted 29 Feb 2012 Link to this post

Followed all the steps here and I am getting multiples of each control. We are using ASP AJAX Controls v4.0.30319 2012.1.215.40. Any suggestions? We are getting 10-20 of each item on multiple Windows 7 64-bit machines. VS 2010. Royal pain!
  17. Dave Galligher
    Dave Galligher avatar
    37 posts

I'll tell you how I ended up fixing mine on the Windows 7 64 bit boxes, I did this a couple of weeks ago, so I'm operating from memory here. Also, I can't guarantee this will work for the AJAX controls, I'm assuming that it might, it may be worth a try:
    1. Uninstall Telerik controls from the control panel, remove software. Based on the versions of updates you have on your box you may or may not be successful at this completely. If the system will not let you install one particular version, reboot your computer - do not open Visual Studio - and then restart the uninstall procedure - reboot again after everything has been uninstalled.
    2. Open regedit, save your registry - just in case,  - remove all references to telerik in your registry. In my instance I had to this by hand, royal pain but it was the only way to get rid of them. The problem seems to be that if there is "anything" specified for the ToolboxContainer or ToolboxControlsInstaller in the registry, even though at this point your don't have telerik on your box any longer, the ResetToolbox option in VS2010 will still create the controls - multiple times... at this point I rebooted one more time.
    3. Open Visual Studio, create a new winform project, once the form is displayed in the design interface, reset the toolbox from Visual Studio, do this even if it looks likes you don't have telerik controls in there. At this point, scroll the toolbox, and verify there are no telerik controls in the toolbox.  Note the name of the project you created in this step, you will need it again.
    4. Close Visual Studio.
    5. Reinstall the latest build of Telerik controls.
    6. Reboot the box (yes I know, this is a lot of rebooting... frustrating, you may be able to skip this step, but I wasn't taking any chances after futzing with this for the amount of time I spent on it)
    7. Open VS Studio, the project you created on step 3 and add referencens for Telerik. Once you do, the toolbox should update. From this point forward your toolbox problem should be fixed.
    8. Open a previously created project that had Telerik in it, go to the form designer, and check your toolbox. In my case - my duplicates were gone.

I agree with the folks on this thread, this whole thing has been incredibly frustrating. I hope the steps above help you.

18. Michael O'Flaherty
    67 posts

Wow! That is definately the nuclear option. We may give that a try. I appreciate your help! I hope they fix that.
  19. Dave Galligher
    Dave Galligher avatar
    37 posts

Hi Michael,

There were other options that would have been more drastic if that had failed: uninstall VS Studio 2010, reformat, reinstalling windows. Figured a "scorched earth" process was the better way to go, after all I did want to inhabit the app later. My process with the registry was based on a previous posters response - I tried their original suggestion which failed for me, had to modify it.

The problem that I kept having with so many duplicate controls and multiple updates from Telerik, I could never really be certain which version of which control was I grabbing and putting into our application. This really slowed down the process of development. Originally I tried just ignoring the duplicates, but after there got to be eight copies of each control in the toolbox and development environment began to slow down on loading, I knew it was time to make a fix.

I'm with you, hope they fix it, royal pain in the ***!
  20. Michael O'Flaherty
    67 posts

Since VS and Windows 8 is out today, I could always use that as an excuse. Surely the Telerik stuff will work with VS 11, right? :)
  21. Karl Golling
    Karl Golling avatar
    226 posts

Hi,

Here's the solution that worked for me. I uninstalled vs2010 and all Telerik versions I had on the machine. Reinstalled vs2010 and the latestest Telerik and I have been up and working again.

Karl
  22. Dave Galligher
    Dave Galligher avatar
    37 posts

Posted 01 Mar 2012 Link to this post

Karls suggestion works too, my only comment is that my experience in uninstalling the Telerik tools does not remove all the references in the registry, and I beleive that this may be part of the problem that leads to the duplicate controls in the toolbox...  hence my comment about manually having to deal with it.
  23. Petar
    Admin
    Petar avatar
    219 posts

Posted 05 Mar 2012 Link to this post

Hi,

Guys, I am sorry to hear that the Toolbox causes so many problems to you. We have always been doing our best to provide the best Toolbox integration, we also work close with Microsoft so that we can identify what causes problems on your side. Unfortunately there are still problems with the Toolbox integration.

In order to be most helpful to you I suggest you to open formal support ticket when you encounter any Toolbox issue. This way we will be able to focus on the specifics of your exact problem and provide you the best steps. What I mean is that there is no ultimate solution to the Toolbox problems that you encounter.

If you experience any Toolbox issues in future don't hesitate to contact us directly.

Greetings,
    Petar
    the Telerik team
    If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
  24. Michael O'Flaherty
    67 posts

Posted 06 Mar 2012 Link to this post

OK; opening a case. This is killing our development. If we click on a control in source view, it is running the toolbox applet and giving us many copies of the Telerik controls...
  25. Clark Roberts
    Clark Roberts avatar
    8 posts

Posted 13 Mar 2012 Link to this post

I also have multiple instances of Telerik controls in 2010. However, I have 64bit OS and can't use the the 32bit solution. I think both 3.5 and 4.0 controls are showing and both from the GAC and Directory versions. I have
    Telerik AJAX Data Components 2012 Q1 NET 4.0 and
    Telerik AJAX Data Components Q1 2012 NET 4.0, etc

View my attached.

26. Alan
    Alan avatar
    14 posts

Posted 16 Mar 2012 Link to this post

I am getting the issues here as well..I have to wait for couple of minutes just for the loading and ended up having multiple telerik control from visual studio 2010 toolbox.

is there a fixed for it?
  27. Petar
    Admin
    Petar avatar
    219 posts

Hello guys,

The problem that you have encountered happens when the Toolbox items cache data that Visual Studio creates is inconsistent. We have created a simple tool that cleans all cached data that is Telerik related. The tool operates per-product. I am attaching it and writing below the steps you need to take:
    1. Close all Visual Studio instances
    2. Run the TelerikToolboxCleaner tool
    3. Select RadControls product from Telerik Suite drop down
    4. Click Execute
    5. Click Yes to the dialog letting you know that the default toolbox settings will be restored (a new instance of Visual Studio will be opened automatically before this dialog appear)
    6. Start Visual Studio manually
    7. From the menu in Visual Studio select Telerik->RadControls for [TheProductYouWantToUse]->Launch Toolbox Configurator
    8. Select the distribution you want to restore and click Finish.
    I hope this helps to resolve the Toolbox issue you are experiencing.

Regards,
    Petar
    the Telerik team
    If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
  28. Michael O'Flaherty
    67 posts

Note: this utility does clean up the problem but did not solve the problem for us.
  29. Michael O'Flaherty
    67 posts

I opened a support ticket and we ended up at an impasse.
  30. Hector Medrano
    Hector Medrano avatar
    8 posts

Posted 17 Mar 2012 Link to this post

I got to say, I really think the Telerik Controls are the best. However,  I had this issue at work and just could not put up with it anymore.

This worked for me:

1. Deleted all toolbox tabs containing the telerik controls and closed VS2010

2. Went to the registry and found the installation package:2c298b35-07da-45f1-96a3-be55d91c8d7a

3. Deleted the package from the registry (i know i took a risk).

4. Open VS2010 and on the toolbox, added a new tab and called it "Telerik Ajax Controls"

5. Right Clicked on the new tab and "choose items"  and browsed to my telerik installation folder and selected the correct telerik web ui file (based on the .net version).

All the controls are now listed once. It is actually better because I don't have to guess which tab is a particular control in. 

VS2010 loads a lot faster now. I closed VS2010 and reopen a couple of times and seems to be working

Basically, I am adding the controls manually instead of letting the package install them.

Hope this helps. 
  31. Michael O'Flaherty
    67 posts

Posted 19 Mar 2012 Link to this post

Works like a charm--thanks!
UI for ASP.NET Ajax is Ready for VS 2017