This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Multiple controls in Toolbox in VS2010

106 Answers 1777 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
neebs
Top achievements
Rank 2
neebs asked on 10 Jun 2010, 04:36 PM
I seem to have my toolbox showing multiple copies of each tool. How do I revert it back to it's original state? Note: If I hover over the replicated items, all display the same version information in the ToolTip. Attached is an image showing the issue.

106 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 11 Jun 2010, 06:59 AM
Hi Neebs,

Did you try resetting the Visual Studio toolbox (Right-click and select "Reset")?

Can you give me some more information about the circumstances you got the multiple toolbox items? Did it happen after you upgraded Q2 to Q2 SP2? Do you have parallel RadControls versions installed? Did you populate the toolbox manually?

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
neebs
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 28 Jun 2010, 06:40 PM
Hello,

Sorry for the long delay, this slipped under my radar. I am not sure if this happened as a result of upgrading to VS2010 or the version of RadControls I am using now. That happens to be 2020.1.309.40. I do know that the problem is getting worse. I have seen cases where up to 10 instances of each component shows up in the tool box. Resetting the toolbox reduces it to 3 or less, but there are still multiple instances.

Steve
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 29 Jun 2010, 07:32 AM
Hi Steve,

Okay, it gets strange. Did you use the Upgrade Wizard? There is an page to update the toolbox with the new items there. If used, it can populate the toolbox with the controls in the new selected assembly... You could choose the "Replace all the previous RadControls Toolbox items with ones from the new assembly" option to have just a single toolbox item group (the current one).

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
neebs
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 30 Jun 2010, 04:51 PM
I did not use the upgrade wizard. I have just downloaded the most recent update from the website, but have not applied it yet. I could also wait for the Q2 2010 release to come out and apply that using the wizard. Or I could uninstall/reinstall. Attached is another image of what I'm seeing.

Steve
neebs
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 30 Jun 2010, 05:00 PM
Attached is another image. I reset my toolbox, which left me with three of each item. I selected to choose toolbox items and the display I am presented with is attached. Notice that there is a .NET 4.0, 3.5 and 2.0 version of each control, even though the tooolbox is showing RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX Q1 2010 NET40.

Steve
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 30 Jun 2010, 05:24 PM
Hi Steve,

Well, Visual Studio 2010 should filter the items properly. We did some changes for the Q1 2010 SP2 release regarding the ToolBoxItem registration in VS2010, because of other unknown behaviors of the IDE. Can you download the Q1 2010 SP2 release from Your Telerik Account and install it instead? Please note, it will replace the Q1 2010 release automatically.

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
neebs
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 02 Jul 2010, 05:47 AM
Thanks for your help, installing SP2 fixed the problem.

Steve
neebs
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 02 Jul 2010, 09:44 PM
Sorry, the problem has returned.
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 06 Jul 2010, 07:26 AM
Hi Steve,

I'm sorry for that. Did you notice any circumstances when the problem appeared? Did you add any controls to the toolbox manually, or did you use the Telerik menu -> RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX -> Upgrade Wizard to update your project?

I'm sorry I cannot suggest a direct solution right now. We would try to reproduce the problem locally, but we would need the steps for that.

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team
neebs
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 17 Sep 2010, 06:31 PM
Hi, This problem has been under the radar for a while because of other more important development issues. I have been tolerating this in the meantime. However, I am noticing VS 2010 takes an extremely long time (~5 minutes) to load, while displaying the following in the status at the bottom:

Loading toolbox content from package 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.IDE.ToolboxControlsInstaller.ToolboxInstallerPackage' 

I've searched for this, and recommendations include uninstalling Silverlight (I did that), and deleting the *.tbd files from the Visual Studio 10 user folder (Works temporarily). Yet I am still looking at 5 of every Telerik Control in the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX Q2 2010 NET40 section. Same with Telerik Q2 2010 section. All others appear normal.

I'm wondering if this slow load time is related. Others working with me, yet not using Telerik do not experience this slow load time. I am running ReSharper 5.0 as well.

Thanks, Steve
Andrey
Telerik team
answered on 23 Sep 2010, 08:56 AM
Hello neebs,

I am sorry to hear you are still experiencing such issues.

Could you open a formal support ticket, containing screenshots of the following keys under the following paths in your registry:
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ToolboxControlsInstaller
    (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ToolboxControlsInstaller for 64 bit operating systems)
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ToolboxControlsInstallerCache

That would greatly help us with identifying the root of the experienced issue.

Kind regards,
Andrey
the Telerik team
Geoff Davis
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 26 Nov 2010, 03:14 AM
I'm getting the same problem. There are duplicate entries in the toolbox but i'm not sure if mine is related directly to Telerik controls, I have also had the same problem with another 3rd party component vendor and now wondering if this is related to VS2010 itself. Resetting the toolbox doesn't always work I have found and uninstalling the telerik controls still leave the control entries in the toolbox.
Telmo Silva
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Nov 2010, 10:15 AM
I am experiencing the same issue.

Opening the toolbox locks VS2010 for about a minute displaying the message at the bottom "Loading toolbox content from package..."

Once it is finished, there are 5 copies of each Telerik control (and one other third party control but not the Common Silverlight controls).

I have so far tried to 1) Reset the toolbox, 2) delete all tbd files and restart VS 3) Launch Toolbox Configurator.  

2) temporarily fixes the problem.

Any ideas?

Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 29 Nov 2010, 06:14 PM
Hi guys,

To my regret we were not able to reproduce a constant duplication of the Toolbox items. What I mean is that a toolbox Reset (or tbd file deletion) fixes the problem on our test machines.

With that said, any help reproducing the problem on our side will be most appreciated.
I haven't got any results on the other possible solution we suggested - repairing Visual Studio (though this is not the best option of course)...

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team
Browse the vast support resources we have to jumpstart your development with RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. See how to integrate our AJAX controls seamlessly in SharePoint 2007/2010 visiting our common SharePoint portal.
Geoff Davis
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 29 Nov 2010, 06:29 PM
I have since rebuilt my virtual machine and the problem has gone away. I'm really leaning towards bulk installing software for VS2010 that could have caused this problem. What I mean by this is that I previously installed VS2010, SL4, Telerik and WP7 controls without actually running VS2010 as soon as it was installed. This maybe why the toolbox showed incorrect entries.

This time around I installed VS2010, run it, closed it. Installed SL4, run VS2010, closed it, Installed Telerik Suite, run VS2010, closed it, installed WP7, run VS2010, closed it and I could see Telerik menu items in relation to the project type as expected.

Regardless, IMOH I think this is definitely related to the order of software I have installed.

Geoff.
Telmo Silva
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 30 Nov 2010, 01:44 AM
I will not say this is a fix as it may be too soon to tell but here are some additional steps I took:

1) I uninstalled Telerik Silverlight and one other Silverlight 3rd party control and reset VS2010
    -> Issue remained
2) I changed VS2010 to start with  administrator level
-> Problem was not noticeable afte rseveral re-starts of VS2010
3) reinstalled Telerik Silverlight.
-> Problem is not noticeable after one day BUT I am unable to see RadCOntrols in Toolbox either.
-> I have since reset the toolbox and the controls came back.

So the Loading Toolbox issue problem is so far resolved but I'll keep you posted in case it comes back. (Trying hard having to reinstall VS2010)
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 30 Nov 2010, 10:41 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks indeed for the useful feedback!

@Geoff, we will try reproducing the problem with the steps you provided.

P.S. Both Telerik accounts were updated for your help.

Best regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team
Browse the vast support resources we have to jumpstart your development with RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. See how to integrate our AJAX controls seamlessly in SharePoint 2007/2010 visiting our common SharePoint portal.
Geoff Davis
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 03 Dec 2010, 01:08 AM
So I thought I had this sorted but I came across another problem that completely messed up the Toolbox. I had installed DevExpress components with IDETools as part of my development build which was installed after the Telerik ones but I decided not to use these anymore and therefore uninstalled them. To my surprise when I opened up my Silverlight application, the Telerik toolbox was missing and only showed the 'Common Silverlight Controls' and the 'All Silverlight Controls' nodes. I went to the Telerik menu/Silverlight and clicked the Toolbox Configurator which went through it's motions and it did create the Telerik RadControls For Silverlight node but it only showed one item in it (Can't remember which).

Now I don't know if this is related to having DevExpress and Telerik components installed side-by-side but since I had previously backed up my VM prior to installing the DevExpress suite, I just refreshed the VM and i'm all good again. I've lost so much development time with trying to work out what is going on here but I thought I would let you know of my findings.

Geoff.
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 07 Dec 2010, 08:52 AM
Geoff,

Thanks a lot for reporting your findings! We'll play with these to try figuring our what happens.

I guess that resetting the toolbox could have helped in that case. We are on our way to find this out.

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team
Yunuen Sanchez
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 Jan 2011, 05:39 PM
I have the same issue here and I'm using Q3 2010 release.

I tried resetting the toolbox, deleting the tbd files, deleting the tabs and regenerating the items using the "Toolbox Configurator" and manually choosing items; no matter what I do, the tab <RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX Q3 2010 NET40>, is always showing 3 items for NET20, NET35 and NET40 or NET40 items twice after resetting visual studio.

I hope you can find a solution soon.

Thanks
Edgar

Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 07 Jan 2011, 10:28 AM
Hi Edgar,

Is this Visual Studio 2008, or is it Visual Studio 2010? Basically, Visual Studio 2010 should only display the control set with the largest applicable version number (i.e. the .NET 4.0 ones when your project targets Framework 4.0, .NET 3.5 ones when your project targets Framework 3.5 and .NET 2.0 ones when the project targets Framework 2.0).

This filtering is not applied in Visual Studio 2008, which makes the things a bit confusing.

Just to make sure the items in your ToolBox are the latest ones, can you hover an item in the toolbox and tell me its version? Is it 2010.3.1109.xx?

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team
Browse the vast support resources we have to jump start your development with RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. See how to integrate our AJAX controls seamlessly in SharePoint 2007/2010 visiting our common SharePoint portal.
Yunuen Sanchez
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Jan 2011, 04:57 AM
Hi Erjan,

I'm using Visual Studio 2010, items in toolbox are version 2010.3.1215.40.

I've been playing around with all the options posted here and there, at this point I only have the items twice but the loading time is still annoying. File toolbox.tbd used to be like 3 MB, now is more than 5 MB.

Could you kindly post a set of steps to follow from the beginning? I can give feedback on each step if you like.

Best regards
Edgar Sanchez
Andreas N.
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 10 Jan 2011, 10:55 AM
Hi,

same situation here. I started seeing Telerik SL4 controls multiple times in the toolbox; reset the toolbox; deleted tbd files and the slow loading of toolbox items on VS start began.

As Geoff I have DevExpress controls installed.

The situation does not change even if uninstalling all controls from Telerik and/or DevExpress

Thanks for your help

Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 11 Jan 2011, 03:40 PM
Hi guys,

@Andreas, thanks for the details indeed!

Please, excuse the delay with this reply. I was trying to reproduce the problem locally, but again was not able to.

I'm afraid I cannot suggest a decent step list to try. From the RadControls installer perspective, the Toolbox item registration depends on lots of stuff (type of RadControls installation - parallel installs, upgrade, or uninstall, followed by an install, starting Visual Studio between the uninstall and install, or not, etc).

Please excuse that.

I want to suggest another thing though:
@Edgar, is it possible for you to assist me trying to find a step list, that will help finding the problem? If you could separate some time for a remote session to your computer, please open a formal support ticket to coordinate the schedule.

I hope we will have the problem sorted out and we will have a list of steps to perform to get rid of the erroneous behavior. Once we are able to fix this, we will post the list hereby.

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team
Browse the vast support resources we have to jump start your development with RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. See how to integrate our AJAX controls seamlessly in SharePoint 2007/2010 visiting our common SharePoint portal.
Tomashiba
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Feb 2011, 10:00 AM
Hi,

I had same problem and when VS2010 was loding it took between 3-5 mins before I could do anything, I followed instructions from http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vswpfdesigner/thread/97d360a3-09d5-4839-80b7-1ab370011540/ (2nd post - post by Marco Goertz) and it seems to be working, load time is much faster and 3rd party controls are listed only once in the toolbox, hope it helps.
Richard Cockerham
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 02 Mar 2011, 03:22 PM
I came across this thread because I am now having the same issue obviously. My toolbox was fine no problems but I thought it would be nice to sort the items in the toolbox by name and it duplicated all the controls. Each on has the same version number on hover. I had not sorted the controls since installed, no updates, no service packs. Hope this helps you reproduce the problem.
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 02 Mar 2011, 04:59 PM
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the heads-up!
Just tried with Q3 2010 with no results.

Can you help some more please? Which Telerik products do you have? And which versions? Do you have parallel installs?

Thanks a lot,
Erjan
the Telerik team
Registration for Q1 2011 What’s New Webinar Week is now open. Mark your calendar for the week starting March 21st and book your seat for a walk through all the exciting stuff we ship with the new release!
Brad
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 02 May 2011, 05:18 PM
I was having the same occurrence in VS2010.  Here are the steps I took to resolve the issue.  

1) Remove all telerik tabs from the toolbox (right click on "RadControls for Silverlight Q1 2011", etc. and select "Delete tab")
2) Launch the "Toolbox Configurator" in the menu bar under "Telerik -> RadControls for Silverlight -> Launch Toolbox Configurator"
3) Select the version you want to use in the dropdown and click "Finish" (I selected the most recent update first)
4) Continue the 2 latter steps for any other control versions you may want to use 

It worked for me for now.  I hope it works for you.
Tim
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 07 Sep 2011, 07:56 AM
For the past few months I've also been experiencing this problem (multiple of the same item in the toolbox) as well as the slow loading time (toolbox initialisation) when I first open the toolbox each time I open VS2010.

After many hours of trawling the web and trying various things I've finally managed to fix it on my computer for my particular installation scenario, as well as possibly identify what is happening.  In my case the problem was related to the WCF RIA Services Toolkit April 2011, so if you don't have this installed then this probably won't work for you unfortunately.

Here's what fixed it for me (as well as the testing I did to confirm it):
1) Uninstall all Telerik products (including any VS Extensions that you've installed via Extension Manager)
2) Uninstall WCF RIA Services Toolkit April 2011 (IMPORTANT)
3) Open up VS2010, open the toolbox, right-click and select "Reset Toolbox"
4) Close VS2010
5) Reinstall all Telerik products
6) Open up VS2010 and open the toolbox.  This first time will take a while as the toolbox cache needs to be constructed.
8) Load a solution that uses Telerik controls (in my case it was an asp.net website) and confirm that the toolbox only has one of each item in it.
7) Close VS2010
8) Open up VS2010 and open the toolbox.  It should be quick this time as the cache is already constructed.
10) Load a solution that uses Telerik controls (in my case it was an asp.net website) and confirm that the toolbox only has one of each item in it.

Why does this work?
Well, I'm speculating here but I think that each time a change is made to the toolbox (e.g. new control installation) VS2010 will process all the toolbox items and cache them locally for quick lookup the next time you open the toolbox.  It appears that on successful construction of the cache a flag is probably set somewhere to say that the cache is up to date.  However, if the cache construction process doesn't terminate successfully then this flag is never set and thus each time you open the toolbox VS2010 attempts to reconstruct the cache.  This explains the slow first load of the toolbox on each start of VS2010.  I suspect that somewhere in the logic for the Telerik toolbox installer there needs to be a check to see if the item is already in the cache (not sure if this is possible) as they keep getting added each time the cache is constructed.

But, I hear you say, what does this have to do with the WCF RIA Services Toolkit April 2011???
Well, during my trawling of the web I found this MS Connect thread. Take a look at the Post by MawashiKid on 26/06/2011.  He successfully narrowed down a crash in the toolbox installer package to the WCF RIA Service Toolkit April 2011 package.  It seems that this "rogue" is crashing the toolbox cache initialisation process and then the follow-on effect is for the toolbox cache to try and reconstruct itself each time...

At any rate, my advice to the testers at Telerik is to install WCF RIA Service Toolkit April 2011 and then try reproducing this issue.  You might have better luck!  Also, I would be interested to know how many of the people who are having this issue have WCF RIA Service Toolkit April 2011 installed on their machine?

Hopefully this will help people that are experiencing the same issue!
Sebastian
Telerik team
answered on 07 Sep 2011, 09:31 AM
Hello Tim,

Thank you for posting your findings in this public forum thread - thus you can help other people who stumbled upon this issue. I updated your Telerik points for the involvement.

Best regards,
Sebastian
the Telerik team

Thank you for being the most amazing .NET community! Your unfailing support is what helps us charge forward! We'd appreciate your vote for Telerik in this year's DevProConnections Awards. We are competing in mind-blowing 20 categories and every vote counts! VOTE for Telerik NOW >>

Sjoerd
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Nov 2011, 11:08 AM
Tim,

Thanks for all your research.

I am currently trialling the Telerik suite and quikcly ran into exactly the same issue. In my case it was the September 2011 version of the WCF RIA Services Toolkit, but this too caused slow starts of VS2010 and an additional set of all Telerik controls with each start.

However, in my case I did not have to uninstall the Telerik controls. Uninstalling the RIA Toolkit and resetting the toolbox was enough. Nevertheless not something I'd like to do on a daily basis.

I'm a bit surprised though to see that this problem was first reported more than a year ago and still hasn't been solved.

Sjoerd

Adam
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 01 Dec 2011, 03:17 AM
Im also having this problem and I do have the WCF RIA Toolkit Sep 2011 installed. However, I need the RIA toolkit so uninstalling is not a good option for me.

I do have another pc with ria services installed and no telerik and it does not have this problem. Therfefore I think its still related to telerik.

Very frustrating because I am very happy with the telerik controls except for this issue.

-Adam
Aylin
Telerik team
answered on 02 Dec 2011, 01:37 PM
Hi Adam,

The ToolboxControlsInstaller package is part of the IDE, taking care of the toolbox items. It operates through registry entries, added by the third-party installers (such as the RadControls one). Unfortuntely, it happens that under unknown circumstances the ToolboxControlsInstaller gets broken and starts behaving erroneously. Such a behavior is the population of the Toolbox items on each start you experience.

With trials and errors the Telerik team identified several steps that usually help avoid this problem. You might want to try them as well. Please note, you should be careful when performing these, as they involve registry modification. Here they are:

1. Close all Visual Studio instances
  2. Run Regedit
  3. Navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\(Wow6432Node\)Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ToolboxControlsInstaller. Please note, the path should not contain the Wow6432Node on a 32-bit machine.
  4. Delete all the Telerik.... subkeys (if any exist)
  5. Navigate to the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ToolboxControlsInstallerCache
  6. Delete all the Telerik... subkeys (if any exist)
  7. Navigate to the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ToolboxControlsInstaller 
  8. Delete all the Telerik... subkeys (if any exist)
  9. Navigate to the following key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\Packages\{2c298b35-07da-45f1-96a3-be55d91c8d7a}\Toolbox
  10. Update the value of the Default Items value (increase it by 1, make sure it is greater than 0)
  11. Start a Windows Explorer instance.
  12. Navigate to the following folder:%localappdata%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0
  13. Delete all the *.tbd files (note, you would need to have the System and Hidden files visible to see the TBD files)
  14. Start Visual Studio
  15.  Use the Telerik -> RadControls for [ProductName] -> ToolboxConfigurator menu in Visual Studio to add the distribution you need to the Toolbox
  16. Create a new dummy Telerik project and check if the Toolbox items will get populated properly
  17. Close Visual Studio and start it again to check if the ToolboxControlsInstaller package will try repopulating the controls again.

Let me know if that helps.

Best Regards,
VSXTeam Aylin
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now
lori guymon
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Dec 2011, 05:16 AM
This resolved the problem for me.  Thank you very much for taking the time to find a fix to this pesky problem!!
Adam
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Dec 2011, 07:32 PM
This worked! thanks.

One issue though, The vs menu item to add back the toolbox items for telerik let me add the telerik silverlight controls but now how to I add back the silverlight reporting components to the toolbox?

thanks,
Adam
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 19 Dec 2011, 04:52 PM
Hi Adam,

A good catch indeed!
To my regret the Telerik Reporting suite still does not contain a ToolboxConfigurator-like functionality and the only option is a reinstall of the Reporting itself.

I just logged this as a feature request and we'll do our best to have it implemented in the nearest future.

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now
Andreas Decke
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 13 Jan 2012, 09:10 AM
Hello,

the problem occurs repeatedly (Silverlight, ASP.NET AJAX, WPF). I ran the tip it and follow the toolbox is ok. But after I installed an update (Telerik msi), the controls are again several times in the Tollbox. The loading of a project then takes a long time.

Andreas
Geert
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Jan 2012, 11:49 AM
Hi,
This might be related to:
http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/551183/loading-toolbox-content-from-package-takes-55-seconds-or-more

See my reply on it: (I am not using Telerik, but another set of third party components)

"...I had the same problem after installing SL5. The side effect was that some third-party components were duplicated in the toolbox each time VS was started.

I noticed that SL5 Tools for VS also installs RIA Services 1.0 SP2. As there were already some hints that RIA caused simimar problems in the past, I decided to uninstall that one. I also reset the VS toolbox and deleted the *.tbd files. The next start of VS took some time (rebuilding the tbd files) but since then, VS startup is smooth and I have no duplication of toolbox items anymore..."

Geert

Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 18 Jan 2012, 10:59 AM
Hi guys,

(Cross-linking the other thread regarding the Toolbox:
http://www.telerik.com/community/forums/silverlight/vs-extensions/silverlight-tools-repeated-3-times-on-toolbar.aspx)

Just wanted to update you we are working on a tool to apply the fix steps suggested and hopefully have the Toolbox configuration errors reduced.

I will keep you posted on the progress.

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team
Karl
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Jan 2012, 06:45 AM
Experiencing the same problem. Tried the above suggestions. When creating a dummy project some of the telerik controls are there for the first time. When the new project is reloaded the controls that were there are double, then triple and so on. A lot of the telerik controls are missing...

Karl 
Mark Challenger
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Jan 2012, 07:01 PM
That did not work for me. :(
Dave Galligher
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 14 Feb 2012, 03:46 PM
Me either and nor can I execute all steps outlined above. Majority of our development is with WinForms and WPF, not to say there are not a few WPF apps I would like to use the tools in, but with this mess, it is very frustrating.

Navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\(Wow6432Node\)Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ToolboxControlsInstaller. Please note, the path should not contain the Wow6432Node on a 32-bit machine. 

ToolboxControlsInstaller does not exist on on the Windows 7 box, the closest items are: ToolboxItemConfiguration and ToolboxPages. There is no ToolboxControlsInstaller key on this machine.

In addition to the above, after I was finally able to delete Q3 2011 (11.3.1116.0) version, manually deleting each group in the toolbox that have the RadControls in them, then opting to reset the toolbox all of the Rad Control groups are rebuilt again, interesting, because at this point according to the Windows software uninstaller there are no Telerik controls on the computer.
Chavdar Dimitrov
Telerik team
answered on 14 Feb 2012, 04:55 PM
Hello Dave,

This step is not applicable for each machine and should be skipped if the registry doesn't exists.

About the Q3 2011 groups - after performing the steps these groups should disappear.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Best regards,
Chavdar,
the Telerik team
Sharpen your .NET Ninja skills! Attend Q1 webinar week and get a chance to win a license! Book your seat now >>
Michael O'Flaherty
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 29 Feb 2012, 04:22 PM
Followed all the steps here and I am getting multiples of each control. We are using ASP AJAX Controls v4.0.30319 2012.1.215.40. Any suggestions? We are getting 10-20 of each item on multiple Windows 7 64-bit machines. VS 2010. Royal pain!
Dave Galligher
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 29 Feb 2012, 04:42 PM
I'll tell you how I ended up fixing mine on the Windows 7 64 bit boxes, I did this a couple of weeks ago, so I'm operating from memory here. Also, I can't guarantee this will work for the AJAX controls, I'm assuming that it might, it may be worth a try:
  1. Uninstall Telerik controls from the control panel, remove software. Based on the versions of updates you have on your box you may or may not be successful at this completely. If the system will not let you install one particular version, reboot your computer - do not open Visual Studio - and then restart the uninstall procedure - reboot again after everything has been uninstalled.
  2. Open regedit, save your registry - just in case,  - remove all references to telerik in your registry. In my instance I had to this by hand, royal pain but it was the only way to get rid of them. The problem seems to be that if there is "anything" specified for the ToolboxContainer or ToolboxControlsInstaller in the registry, even though at this point your don't have telerik on your box any longer, the ResetToolbox option in VS2010 will still create the controls - multiple times... at this point I rebooted one more time.
  3. Open Visual Studio, create a new winform project, once the form is displayed in the design interface, reset the toolbox from Visual Studio, do this even if it looks likes you don't have telerik controls in there. At this point, scroll the toolbox, and verify there are no telerik controls in the toolbox.  Note the name of the project you created in this step, you will need it again.
  4. Close Visual Studio.
  5. Reinstall the latest build of Telerik controls.
  6. Reboot the box (yes I know, this is a lot of rebooting... frustrating, you may be able to skip this step, but I wasn't taking any chances after futzing with this for the amount of time I spent on it)
  7. Open VS Studio, the project you created on step 3 and add referencens for Telerik. Once you do, the toolbox should update. From this point forward your toolbox problem should be fixed.
  8. Open a previously created project that had Telerik in it, go to the form designer, and check your toolbox. In my case - my duplicates were gone.

I agree with the folks on this thread, this whole thing has been incredibly frustrating. I hope the steps above help you.

Michael O'Flaherty
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 29 Feb 2012, 06:12 PM
Wow! That is definately the nuclear option. We may give that a try. I appreciate your help! I hope they fix that.
Dave Galligher
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 29 Feb 2012, 06:26 PM
Hi Michael,

There were other options that would have been more drastic if that had failed: uninstall VS Studio 2010, reformat, reinstalling windows. Figured a "scorched earth" process was the better way to go, after all I did want to inhabit the app later. My process with the registry was based on a previous posters response - I tried their original suggestion which failed for me, had to modify it.

The problem that I kept having with so many duplicate controls and multiple updates from Telerik, I could never really be certain which version of which control was I grabbing and putting into our application. This really slowed down the process of development. Originally I tried just ignoring the duplicates, but after there got to be eight copies of each control in the toolbox and development environment began to slow down on loading, I knew it was time to make a fix.

I'm with you, hope they fix it, royal pain in the ***!
Michael O'Flaherty
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 29 Feb 2012, 06:28 PM
Since VS and Windows 8 is out today, I could always use that as an excuse. Surely the Telerik stuff will work with VS 11, right? :)
Karl
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Feb 2012, 09:06 PM
Hi,

Here's the solution that worked for me. I uninstalled vs2010 and all Telerik versions I had on the machine. Reinstalled vs2010 and the latestest Telerik and I have been up and working again.

Karl
Dave Galligher
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 01 Mar 2012, 04:35 PM
Karls suggestion works too, my only comment is that my experience in uninstalling the Telerik tools does not remove all the references in the registry, and I beleive that this may be part of the problem that leads to the duplicate controls in the toolbox...  hence my comment about manually having to deal with it.
Petar
Telerik team
answered on 05 Mar 2012, 12:23 PM
Hi,

Guys, I am sorry to hear that the Toolbox causes so many problems to you. We have always been doing our best to provide the best Toolbox integration, we also work close with Microsoft so that we can identify what causes problems on your side. Unfortunately there are still problems with the Toolbox integration.

In order to be most helpful to you I suggest you to open formal support ticket when you encounter any Toolbox issue. This way we will be able to focus on the specifics of your exact problem and provide you the best steps. What I mean is that there is no ultimate solution to the Toolbox problems that you encounter.

If you experience any Toolbox issues in future don't hesitate to contact us directly.

Greetings,
Petar
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Michael O'Flaherty
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 06 Mar 2012, 08:43 PM
OK; opening a case. This is killing our development. If we click on a control in source view, it is running the toolbox applet and giving us many copies of the Telerik controls...
Clark Roberts
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 13 Mar 2012, 06:54 PM
I also have multiple instances of Telerik controls in 2010. However, I have 64bit OS and can't use the the 32bit solution. I think both 3.5 and 4.0 controls are showing and both from the GAC and Directory versions. I have
Telerik AJAX Data Components 2012 Q1 NET 4.0 and
Telerik AJAX Data Components Q1 2012 NET 4.0, etc

View my attached.

Alan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Mar 2012, 07:55 AM
I am getting the issues here as well..I have to wait for couple of minutes just for the loading and ended up having multiple telerik control from visual studio 2010 toolbox.

is there a fixed for it?
Petar
Telerik team
answered on 16 Mar 2012, 03:09 PM
Hello guys,

The problem that you have encountered happens when the Toolbox items cache data that Visual Studio creates is inconsistent. We have created a simple tool that cleans all cached data that is Telerik related. The tool operates per-product. I am attaching it and writing below the steps you need to take:
  2. Run the TelerikToolboxCleaner tool
  3. Select RadControls product from Telerik Suite drop down
  4. Click Execute
  5. Click Yes to the dialog letting you know that the default toolbox settings will be restored (a new instance of Visual Studio will be opened automatically before this dialog appear)
  6. Start Visual Studio manually
  7. From the menu in Visual Studio select Telerik->RadControls for [TheProductYouWantToUse]->Launch Toolbox Configurator
  8. Select the distribution you want to restore and click Finish.
I hope this helps to resolve the Toolbox issue you are experiencing.

Regards,
Petar
the Telerik team
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to their blog feed now.
Michael O'Flaherty
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 16 Mar 2012, 03:14 PM
Note: this utility does clean up the problem but did not solve the problem for us.
Michael O'Flaherty
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 16 Mar 2012, 03:15 PM
I opened a support ticket and we ended up at an impasse.
Hector Medrano
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Mar 2012, 04:08 PM
I got to say, I really think the Telerik Controls are the best. However,  I had this issue at work and just could not put up with it anymore.

This worked for me:

1. Deleted all toolbox tabs containing the telerik controls and closed VS2010

2. Went to the registry and found the installation package:2c298b35-07da-45f1-96a3-be55d91c8d7a

3. Deleted the package from the registry (i know i took a risk).

4. Open VS2010 and on the toolbox, added a new tab and called it "Telerik Ajax Controls"

5. Right Clicked on the new tab and "choose items"  and browsed to my telerik installation folder and selected the correct telerik web ui file (based on the .net version).

All the controls are now listed once. It is actually better because I don't have to guess which tab is a particular control in. 

VS2010 loads a lot faster now. I closed VS2010 and reopen a couple of times and seems to be working

Basically, I am adding the controls manually instead of letting the package install them.

Hope this helps. 
Michael O'Flaherty
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 19 Mar 2012, 02:37 PM
Works like a charm--thanks!
Petar
Telerik team
answered on 21 Mar 2012, 09:14 AM
Hello,

Indeed, this solves some Toolbox items issues. The reason is that the ToolboxControlsInstaller VS package, that handles third party Toolbox items registration is by-passed thus no Toolbox items registration happens for the RadControls.

While this is a quick approach it is not recommended because it cuts Visual Studio's functionality. Better approach is repairing the Visual Studio installation which requires more time.

Please, have in mind the above information if you decide to apply the suggested work around.

Regards,
Petar
the Telerik team
Michael O'Flaherty
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 21 Mar 2012, 05:47 PM
I guess I don't understand is why my Telerik Silverlight controls nor Component One's suite don't exhibit this problem ??? This seems to be an issue with the ASP controls.
Hector Medrano
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Mar 2012, 06:34 PM
I agree, my approach is not the best option but I could not deal with it any longer.  I tried all fixes listed and none of them worked.  In my case, it was happening with all Telerik Controls (ASP.net, Silverlight, and Reporting). Only with the telerik ones. Standard VS controls were fine.
Mike
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Mar 2012, 02:47 PM
The tool and walkthroughs work initially, but everytime I reboot my machine the controls get replicated.
Clark Roberts
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Mar 2012, 02:54 PM
Same thing happens to me. I will delete the Telerik tabs and execute the TelerikToolboxCleaner, however,everytime I open a new instance of VS 2010 the more duplicate entries show up in the toolbox. It automatically loads from both the GAC and dll itself.  Obviously the issue has to be addressed.
Michael O'Flaherty
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 22 Mar 2012, 02:57 PM
Agreed. However, the solution provided by Hector Medrano in this thread works great. It alleviated our pain with it.
Clark Roberts
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Mar 2012, 03:11 PM
The solution provided by Hector Medrano in this thread works great. Thanks, however, I still have the problem with Telerik Reporting.
Hector Medrano
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Mar 2012, 02:15 AM
Clark, there might be other installation packages that could be causing it. I believe that when VS opens, and the controls start to load, it shows you some text at the left bottom corner of the VS window showing which package is installing. That was what was slowing VS startup and causing my multiple controls. 

On another note,  I do recognize that while my solution seems to be working, the controls might have to be manually installed on every telerik upgrade.  I am willing to live with that at this point. Many hours spent trying to figure it out and believe me, working without the multiple controls is a lot less frustrating.  So hope it helps folks out there until we get the right fix.

I am a big Telerik fan and hope the Telerik folks don't take this the wrong way. 
Michael O'Flaherty
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 23 Mar 2012, 02:17 PM
Sure; every upgrade/install of tools may require rebuilding the toolbox. However, compared to VS grinding to a halt every time you switch to design view or starting it, it is well worth it. Also, having all Telerik controls alphabetical in one tab is a lot nicer than the 5 or so they create.
Hector Medrano
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Mar 2012, 01:52 AM
I have to agree it is well worth it and having the controls in one tab is better.
Petar
Telerik team
answered on 28 Mar 2012, 09:04 AM
Hello all,

I am really sorry that the RadControls cause you such troubles when integrating with the Visual Studio Toolbox.

As I have said before we are working close with Microsoft so that we can smooth the Toolbox integration. Before each release we ensure that the Toolbox integration works as expected and I guess that it works OK for most scenarios. Unfortunately there are clients who experience Toolbox issues.

We will keep our effort towards improving the experience, because or goal is to make your life easier.

Greetings,
Petar
the Telerik team
Eric
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Mar 2012, 04:24 PM

Thanks Hector,

The multiplication of Telerik controls reminds me of a certain Star Trek episode involving Tribbles...

Thanks, your solution seems to have worked here. One thing of note for the Telerik types... for me at least the OpenAccess tab never suffered from this problem.

-e

PS. I agree with other posts here, having the option of putting all the Telerik controls in one tab would be fantastic!

Hector Medrano
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Mar 2012, 10:36 PM
Glad I could help.
Erik
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Apr 2012, 12:33 PM
I have the same problem with both the RadControls for Silverlight and RadControls for WPF. I tried everything including the TelerikToolboxCleaner but the problem keeps coming back whenever the 'WCF RIA Services' is installed.

It's pretty much unworkable if you need Silverlight, RIA and RadControls for Silverlight. Hope there is a solution soon for this.

Andrey
Telerik team
answered on 02 May 2012, 04:49 PM

Hi Erik,

You could just disable the WCF Ria Services toolbox integration instead of completely removing the toolkit. To do that, you just need to delete the following registry keys:

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319\AssemblyFoldersEx\RIA Services Toolkit Libraries\Toolbox
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Silverlight\v4.0\AssemblyFoldersEx\Ria Services v1.0 Silverlight Libraries\Toolbox
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Silverlight\v5.0\AssemblyFoldersEx\Ria Services v1.0 Silverlight Libraries\Toolbox

Note: You should ommit Wow6432Node from the above paths in case you're running a 32 bit version of Windows.

As per the suggestion for adding all Telerik controls in a single tab, I have logged a feature request on your behalf. You can track progress on its implementation and vote in order to raise its priority through our public issue tracker here: Link.

Regards,
Andrey,
the Telerik team

Erik
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 04 May 2012, 08:11 AM
Thanx Andrey, removing the registry keys does the trick !
TonyG
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 May 2012, 09:43 AM
I'm glad I accidentally found this topic. I was referred to the VS Extensions group where I found this announcement, but no followup.
I just deleted my tbd files and reset my toolbox but the problem remains.

I'm considering Hector Medrano's solution from 3/13. Is there any other wisdom on this topic before I go down that dark and not so painless path?

Thanks!

(In this case, misery does not love company)

EDIT: Just found this thread with acknowledgement and an invitation from Microsoft to help find and fix the issue. It's good, check it out.
Rick Hubka
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 May 2012, 04:12 AM
Hi had the same issue.  Drove me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uninstall WCF RIA SERVICES V1.0 SP 2

Then reset Toolbars

Fixed for me
TonyG
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 May 2012, 07:57 AM
Thanks, but Nope. I had WCF RIA Services v1 SP1, uninstalled, removed .tbd files, reset toolbox, rebooted, and I still get duplicates every time I open a web project. Even if the project isn't using RadControls, every Telerik tab has the full set of controls followed by yet another full set of controls.

From the forum posting I referenced, Josh Stevens at Microsoft says "This is caused by some registered assembly triggering an exception when we try to load it; the exception interrupts the toolbox update process and the toolbox "forgets" about the controls it has already added, so they get re-added again when you restart VS."

I've generated logs and looked at them and some exceptions are being thrown, like "PkgDef encountered data collision" with a Snippet Designer addin. And a couple other registry issues it flags. But I'm not qualified to work out these details. I've offered to send them to Josh and asked him if he wants to hook up with someone at Telerik to try to resolve this. I have a 100% easily reproducible case here. Someone needs to be able to figure this out.

More later...
Hector Medrano
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 May 2012, 04:29 PM
I have not had a problem ever since.  However, I have yet to update to a new version to see if the problem comes back.  It was very frustrating working with the multiple controls so I understand everyone's frustration.  Hope they come up with a permanent fix soon.
Andrey
Telerik team
answered on 25 May 2012, 09:53 AM
Hi Tony,

I am sorry to hear you are still experiencing issues. Having various errors in the Visual Studio activity log is usually a sign you need to repair Visual Studio.

If you are willing to share your log file, you could send it to clientservice@telerik.com and I will take a look. Just make sure to mention this thread in your email.

Kind regards,
Andrey
the Telerik team
Lymber
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Jun 2012, 06:44 AM
My third party components were doubling each time VS 2010 started. So i had to reset VS toolbox by deleting the .tbd files and deleting some registry keys for these third party components and then uninstalling the RIA toolkit. Then VS works fine. But once i install the RIA toolkit, the problem starts again with the third party components duplicating each time VS starts.
Adam Jones
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Jun 2012, 07:11 PM

I had this problem with my toolbox in Visual Studio. My solution was as a combination of multiple ideas, but they seem to have fixed the problem.

1. Close Visual Studio
  2. Delete the TDB files from %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0
  3. Load Visual Studio
  4. Right Click Toolbox - Show All
  5. Delete Groups
  6. Right Click - Reset Toolbox
  7. Exit Visual Studio

I have loaded Visual Studio about four or five times and the problem seems to have disappeared, I was getting annoyed about this as everytime I loaded Visual Studio every custom control was added again and again.

TonyG
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Jun 2012, 09:51 PM
I followed Adam's notes but on loading my first RadControls project I immediately got 3x on every control in the toolbox. I did the procedure a couple times and at one point after reset of the toolbox I got 4x on every control. This is unbearable. I'm going to try to spend some time with Josh Stevens at Microsoft to get this resolved.

Note that I do not have RIA services/toolkit installed, I have deleted tdb files, and I do not have RIA entries in my registry. For reference, I'm also running VS in administrator mode because I'm doing Office add-in development which registers components.

For those who are trying this, where Adam's procedure may help, add step 3a, go to menu>View>Toolbox. Otherwise the toolbox may not display until you load a project, and then it will only show controls for that specific project type. Also, you can quickly delete toolbox tab groups with the delete key, you don't need to right click and delete each one.
henzard
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Jun 2012, 09:50 AM
Hi to all.

I had the same problem with the multiple controls for the ASP Ajax control.
I tried everything from the above responses and nothing fixed it.

So I played around a bit and finally found that in the choose items of the toolbox all the assemblies form the previous telerik control versions are also selected. 

So my fix:

1. Right click in the toolbox.
2. Select 'Choose Toolbox Items'
3. Uncheck all the previous assemblies of the controls.
4. Click OK, wait for toolbox to load and it works.

PS: Takes a while to Uncheck all, but works.

I've restarted multiple times after this and no problems.

So maybe this is causing the error, telerik. Maybe you can work in a fix to remove the old assembles from the toolbox.

Hope This helps!
Cheers from a Sunny South Africa!
Adam Jones
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Jun 2012, 10:09 AM
Hi TonyG,

Everyone who seems to be suffering from this problem is trying different ideas, I have just found one that worked for me, did not say that it would work for everyone else.

I have tried about another half a dozen suggestions including...
  1. Start with Different Switches (/safemode, /log, /resetsettngs, /resetskippkgs)
  2. Rename registry entry for HKLM & HKLU \Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ToolboxControlsInstaller
  3. Delete .TDB and restart VS
  4. Uninstall RIA
  5. Delete all {2c298b35-07da-45f1-96a3-be55d91c8d7a} entries in registry
  6. Remove Silverlight toolbox references registry

Everytime they seemed to fail, but it all seems to be hit and miss at this time.

Just tried and found another solution, may help one more person....

Adam

Accepted
TonyG
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Jun 2012, 08:42 PM
I exchanged notes with Josh Stevens at Microsoft about the issue, passing him a series of logs from VS2010, and he was able to diagnose the issue for my specific environment.
Telerik Inc developers, you'll want to take note!

===================

It appears that the toolbox encountered an unexpected exception after the following log entry:

<entry>

<record>395</record>

<time>2012/06/24 22:47:08.853</time>

<type>Information</type>

<source>Microsoft.VisualStudio.IDE.ToolboxControlsInstaller.ToolboxInstallerPackage</source>

<description>Attempting to get Toolbox items from Assembly Telerik.WinControls.Themes.Office2010Black, Version=2012.1.517.20, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5bb2a467cbec794e</description>

</entry>

There's insufficient log information to say *why* that assembly caused an exception, but we should be able to work around your problem by unregistering it.

===================

That key refers to a pre-release Dev HotFix provided by Telerik. I've since updated to a new production release so I'm sure I don't need that anymore.

He directed me to this registry key:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ToolboxControlsInstaller
"Telerik.WinControls.Themes.Office2010Black, Version=2012.1.517.20, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5bb2a467cbec794e"

I deleted that key. Josh suggested that I also delete either or both of these if they exist:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ToolboxControlsInstaller_AssemblyFoldersExCache

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ToolboxControlsInstallerCache

I deleted the second which was the only one there. (That one is mentioned elsewhere in this thread.)

Finally I deleted all of the TBD files (note, not TDB).

On restarting VS2010, not only was the problem with duplicate items fixed but so was the issue reported where VS does a long pause on this:
Loading toolbox content from package

'Microsoft.VisualStudio.IDE.ToolboxControlsInstaller,

ToolboxInstallerPackage'{2C298B35-07DA-45F1-96A3-BE55D91C8D7A}

If someone else does this and the problem does not go away, contact Josh, or you can contact me and I'll forward info to him.

Our take-away from this exercise is as follows:

1. Before publishing assemblies, Telerik and others should be monitoring VS10 log files for otherwise silent exceptions thrown from their controls. I understand that I had a Dev HotFix but we've identified another source of exception notifications that Telerik should be using to QA all published assemblies.
  2. VS10 doesn't report this kind of toolbox control issue. I have been told that a forthcoming version of VS2012 does not duplicate toolbox items when an error like this occurs, and that developers will be told when something like this happens so that they can report issues to their control providers.

I hope this helps others using RadControls.

Petar
Telerik team
answered on 03 Jul 2012, 03:38 PM
Hello Tony,

Thank you for the detailed information that you have provided. I think it could be helpful to anyone for identifying the reason for any Toolbox issues. I am glad that you managed to resolve the problem on your side

I checked the Toolbox integration with the latest WinForms components (Q2 2012) and I didn't identify any issues. We actually check the Toolbox integration thoroughly before each official release. Latest internal builds, on the other hand, don't pass the same tests in regards to Toolbox integration thus it is possible to cause issues when upgrading the Toolbox to a latest internal build.

Thanks again for the effort and the help. I have updated your Telerik points.

Regards,
Petar
the Telerik team
Hugin
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Jul 2012, 01:51 PM
Hi,

I have the same problem with the toolbox taking over 5 mins to load. The duplicates is if you install controls for both the .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.0.

I also have DevExpress installed and ReSharper and I never had the toolbox loading problem until I installed Telerik controls 2012 Q1 and then updated to 2012 Q2. Now my toolbox takes forever to load.

If I delete the registry entry as stated above, the toolbox loads immediately, but non of the Telerik controls appear in the toolbox.
Petar
Telerik team
answered on 23 Jul 2012, 04:05 PM
Hello Hugin,

The problem behind deleting the ToolboxControlsInstaller registry entry is that this way you disable the ToolboxControlsInstaller package. This package's intent is to register third-party controls in the Toolbox. We register all our controls using it. This means that when you disable it you disable the Toolbox integration that we provide for our controls. You can still add them using the 'Chose Items...' dialog but it requires more effort.

Before removing this registry key we strongly recommend that you try to repair your Visual Studio installation.

All the best,
Petar
the Telerik team
TonyG
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Jul 2012, 04:40 PM
@Hugin - Unless you actually require prior versions of RadControls on your system, I recommend you completely uninstall all RadControls products (especially Dev hot-fixes), delete the related directories, check the GAC to ensure there are no left-overs, and then re-install the current version of each RadControls product you use (winforms, asp.net, etc). Especially check to make sure there are no old themes hanging around.

Reboot after uninstalling. Start VS after reboot and check status - you should not see RadControls and therefore should not see any duplication. Close VS, install a single RadControls product, then start VS to check results. You should not expect any duplication at all with the latest release, but if you do see duplication you'll know it's due to the last control set just installed. Repeat close VS, install, open VS, until done. Yes, it's a pain but you're doing this in a diagnostic mode just for this one problem. Once you get through this, you/we should never need to do this again.

HTH
Bryan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 04 Sep 2012, 02:37 PM

Hello,

Like many of you I have also been having problems with VS2010 freezing up during startup or when opening the toolbox related to this outstanding issue.  Today I decided to do some analysis and see if I could determine the cause of the problem.  I have two workstations I use to develop on and both have this same issue so I reviewed the installation of the Telerik products on both to see if I could find the problem.  So far I have not been able to resolve the issue but I did find some issues that need to be addressed by the Telerik team. 

Below is the summary of my analysis:

For my two machines, the first had previous versions from before the Telerik Control Panel was released and the second was a first time install of 2012.2 using the Telerik Control Panel.

The first thing I noticed on the older machine was that the Telerik.Web.UI and Telerik.Web.UI.Skins assemblies installed in the .NET 2.0 GAC were version 2011.3.1115.35 and the Telerik.Web.Design.dll was version 2012.2.815.35.  I checked the newer machine's .NET 2.0 GAC and found that it only had the Telerik.Web.Design.dll assembly version 2012.2.815.35 installed.  The Telerik.Web.UI and Telerik.Web.UI.Skins assemblies were missing.  I then checked the .NET 4.0 GAC on both machines and found that the Telerik.Web.UI and Telerik.Web.UI.Skins assemblies were also missing from both .NET 4.0 GACs on these machines.

Based on this analysis I highly suspect that the 'RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX' installer and/or the Telerik Control Panel are missing the Telerik.Web.UI and Telerik.Web.UI.Skins assemblies from their .NET 2.0 and .NET 4.0 GAC install processes and perhaps other assemblies that depend on these assemblies were built with an incorrect version which could explain a tool initialization error.

To test this theory I removed the older assemblies from the one machine and then proceeded to install the Telerik.Web.UI and Telerik.Web.UI.Skins assemblies into the .NET 2.0 and .NET 4.0 GAC's from the Program Files Telerik folders on both machines.

I then ran the TelerikToolboxCleaner for all four product suites closing VS2010 as soon as it was loaded each time without opening any projects.  Then I ran the Toolbox Configurator for all four product suites installing the Bin40 versions using the InstallFolder option. 

Finally I launched VS2010 and opened a Telerik ASP.NET AJAX project to see if the issue was resolved.  I restarted and opened the project and unfortunately the issue still exists.

Perhaps the missing assemblies are part of the issue and maybe some of the supporting assemblies that are loaded into the toolbox were built with the wrong version.  It's hard to say but maybe this will help the Telerik team figure out why this is occurring.

I also tried this same process without installing the Telerik Silverlight products and it has no effect.  Please let me know if there is anything I can do to assist you in resolving this issue as it is a huge productivity killer for me.

Thank you,

Bryan Farrell

Andrey
Telerik team
answered on 06 Sep 2012, 02:44 PM
Hello Bryan,

Telerik.Web.UI.dll and Telerik.Web.UI.Skins.dll do not get added to the GAC by any of our installers, as they are not needed there and you are likely to have trouble deploying your application if you use GAC references in your project.

It would be most helpful if you could send us a Visual Studio activity log.

You start Visual Studio with logging enabled by using the following command line:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe /log C:\Temp\VisualStudioActivity.log

As the forum only allows image attachments, you can then send the resulting log to clientservice@telerik.com and reply in the thread. I will then take a look and try to find the cause for the issue.

All the best,
Andrey
the Telerik team
Bryan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 11 Sep 2012, 09:58 PM
Hi Andrey,

I removed those dll's from the GAC on both machines and I am having mixed results.  I ran the TelerikToolboxCleaner on both machines and after that ran the Toolbox Configurator for all four product suites using the .NET 4.0 builds from the InstallFolder.  The first thing I noticed was that after clearing everything off when I run the Configurator on the second machine (first time install of 2012.2 using the Telerik Control Panel) it did not show any items already configured in the tool box for all four products.  On the first machine however the RadControls for Winforms Toolbox Configurator showed the .NET 4.0 version installed in the toolbox even after clearing everything out.  The other three did not show anything installed in the Toolbox when I installed them.

After this process the second machine seems to be working correctly.  I was able to launch VS and found it loaded up much faster.  I was then able to open a Telerik ASP.NET AJAX project multiple times without any lag in VS or creation of new Toolbox menus.  On the first machine however this process did not work.  It is still lagging for almost 3 minutes when I first click on the toolbox and multiple menu items are still being created.  I also got a couple of errors from a call to GetUpgradeAvailabilityMonitor() which I took screenshots of.  As you have requested I will be emailing you an activity log and these screenshots so you can review them and look for any issues.

Using a comparison tool I was able to split the log into three files:

ActivityLog_LoadingVS2010.xml - The log data from the start of VS 2010 until the UI is finished loading;  ActivityLog_VS2010Loaded_ClickOnToolbox.xml - After the UI is finished loading, clicked on the Toolbox without any project or solution loaded (about 3 min lag), then once UI was responsive again exited VS 2010. This is the complete log file.
ActivityLog_JustClickOnToolbox.xml - Just the portion of the log file that occurs after I clicked on the Toolbox.

Hopefully with this data you can find out why this is still occuring on the one machine.

Thank you,

Bryan Farrell
Andrey
Telerik team
answered on 17 Sep 2012, 04:43 PM
Hi Bryan,

Sorry for my late reply. Thank you for the detailed explanation and the log file.

I looked through the log file and the only errors there were related to the Reflector Visual Studio addin.That should not cause any issues like the ones you are experiencing. Other than that - the log looks normal. 

I just want to add something here, which might not be clear: the issue itself is not the long load time - there are a lot of controls to load, which normally takes a long time. The issue is all controls get loaded each and every time Visual Studio starts, whereas those should be only loaded the first time around and cached.

The log did reveal some Ria services assemblies getting loaded in the toolbox. Could you try disabling the WCF Ria Services toolbox integration?

As outlined earlier in the thread, you can do that by deleting the following registry keys:
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319\AssemblyFoldersEx\RIA Services Toolkit Libraries\Toolbox
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Silverlight\v4.0\AssemblyFoldersEx\Ria Services v1.0 Silverlight Libraries\Toolbox
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Silverlight\v5.0\AssemblyFoldersEx\Ria Services v1.0 Silverlight Libraries\Toolbox

Note: You should omit Wow6432Node from the above paths in case you're running a 32 bit version of Windows.

Let me know if that helps.

All the best,
Andrey
the Telerik team
Bryan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Sep 2012, 03:52 PM
Hi Andrey,

I was finally able to take some time and work on the one workstation that was still having the issue and I have finally fixed it and it now also loads much faster and does not duplicate the toolbox items.  To clarify it was taking a long time to load because it was recreating the toolbox items each time VS2010 started up.  I did find the Toolbox folder in two of the three registry keys that you mentioned and that alone might have been the issue bute in addition to deleting those keys I also decided to run thru a bunch of steps to thoroughly clean out everything and after that the issue was finally resolved.  I am going to list all the steps I took here so that it is all in one place for myself and others to reference in the future.

Thanks again for your help in solving this annoying issue,

Bryan Farrell

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clean Telerik controls from Visual Studio 2010 to fix toolbox issues.

2. Run latest version of Telerik Control Panel and update all installed products.
    3. Check .NET 2.0 and .NET 4.0 GACs and remove any old Telerik Assemblies installed from prior versions that are no longer being referenced.  (Good rule of thumb is if the assembly is not in the Telerik Program Files folder it should not be in the GAC on your development machine.  As always use caution and good judgment when altering the GAC.)
    4. Run the Telerik ToolboxItemFixer for each Telerik Suite installed.  After VS2010 finishes loading exit immediately and repeat process for each Telerik Suite installed.
    5. Close all Visual Studio instances
    6. Run Regedit
    7. Navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\(Wow6432Node\)Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ToolboxControlsInstaller. Please note, the path should not contain the Wow6432Node on a 32-bit machine.
    8. Delete all the Telerik.... subkeys (if any exist)
    9. Navigate to the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ToolboxControlsInstallerCache
    10. Delete all the Telerik... subkeys (if any exist)
    11. Navigate to the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ToolboxControlsInstaller 
    12. Delete all the Telerik... subkeys (if any exist)
    13. Navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\Packages\{2c298b35-07da-45f1-96a3-be55d91c8d7a}\Toolbox
    14. Update the value of the Default Items value (increase it by 1, make sure it is greater than 0)
    15. Delete the following key if it exists: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319\AssemblyFoldersEx\RIA Services Toolkit Libraries\Toolbox
    16. Delete the following key if it exists: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Silverlight\v4.0\AssemblyFoldersEx\Ria Services v1.0 Silverlight Libraries\Toolbox
    17. Delete the following key if it exists: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Silverlight\v5.0\AssemblyFoldersEx\Ria Services v1.0 Silverlight Libraries\Toolbox
    18. Start a Windows Explorer instance.
    19. Navigate to the following folder:  %localappdata%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0
    20. Delete all the *.tbd files.  (note, you would need to have the System and Hidden files visible to see the TBD files)
    21. Start Visual Studio
    22.  Use the Telerik -> RadControls for [ProductName] -> ToolboxConfigurator menu in Visual Studio to add the distribution you need to the Toolbox (Made sure to use the Local
    23. Create a new dummy Telerik project and check if the Toolbox items will get populated properly
    24. Close Visual Studio and start it again to check if the ToolboxControlsInstaller package will try repopulating the controls again.

Androide
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 21 Nov 2012, 02:30 PM
Hi,

The Telerik tool box cleaner work fine for me but, it not possible to fix the telerik reporting toolbox item with it.
Can you update the tool box cleaner for incorporate reporting items?

Thank
Petar
Telerik team
answered on 27 Nov 2012, 08:31 AM
Hello Marthin,

Thank you for contacting us! We will consider your suggestion.

In order to repair the Telerik Reporting Toolbox items I suggest you run repair of the Telerik Reporting installation.

Greetings,
Petar
the Telerik team
Hannah
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 09 Jan 2014, 05:38 PM
Followed the recommended answer here.  It removed my wait time, but not the duplicates.  I'm happy with that.

I'm not spending anymore time on this issue, it should just work guys...please update the installer to check for duplicates or something, it's quite annoying.

Thanks,

Wayne
Vesko
Telerik team
answered on 14 Jan 2014, 03:01 PM
Hello Wayne,

I am glad to hear that you resolved (even partially) the issue on your side. Your feedback will be considered as well.

Regards,
Vesko
Telerik
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to the blog feed now.
Timothy
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 31 Jan 2014, 08:57 PM
Step 14  says "Update the value of the Default Items value (increase it by 1, make sure it is greater than 0)". I had found some advice to delete the whole key: {2c298b35-07da-45f1-96a3-be55d91c8d7a}, which of course made all of the Telerik controls disappear. I restored the key but how do I know what Default Items value should really be. I have my controls again (after following all of these steps) but now they are duplicating each time I start my project. I've tried 1 and 2 so far. Is it based on how many third party control suites installed, etc.? There must be some way to logically fix this without so much arbitrary registry edits.
Petar
Telerik team
answered on 05 Feb 2014, 01:51 PM
Hi Timothy,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing Toolbox issues. Since the problem is rather machine specific it requires different approach depending on your current software configuration. I would suggest you to open a separate support ticket so that we can handle you specific case.

Please excuse the inconvenience caused.

Regards,
Petar
Telerik
If you want to get updates on new releases, tips and tricks and sneak peeks at our product labs directly from the developers working on the UI for ASP.NET AJAX, subscribe to the blog feed now.
David
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
answered on 26 Jun 2014, 02:54 PM
Thanks Tomashiba. I had same issue after upgrading to 2014 Q2 controls. I also have both VS 2010 and VS2012 on my machine so that may have contributed. But the suggestion you referred to, deleting all the .tbd files, worked beautifully. And on the plus side, projects load much more quickly again.
Dyanko
Telerik team
answered on 30 Jun 2014, 03:51 PM
Hi Joshua,

Thank you for writing.

I am glad to hear you have found a solution for your problem in this forum thread. I will mark your request as closed on our side. You can later re-open it in case further questions arise.

Please let us know in case any further assistance is needed.

Regards,
Dyanko
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

Joel
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
answered on 26 Nov 2014, 10:33 AM
I am using Telerik 2014 Q3.
What i am facing is described here, and i wonder is there any new solution without resorting to uninstall everything.

http://www.telerik.com/help/winforms/installation-deployment-and-distribution-adding-radcontrols-to-visual-studio-toolbox.html
Multiple entries per control, number increasing with each start of the IDE: this is the worst scenario we have come across. All the registry entries and files on the customer machine seemed fine in this case. The only fix we were able to apply was a complete uninstall of Telerik UI for WinForms and Visual Studio 2010, followed by a clean install of the IDE and the suite.

Dyanko
Telerik team
answered on 28 Nov 2014, 04:19 PM
Hello Joel,

Thank you for reaching us.

The duplication is caused by a bug in the Visual Studio 2010 Toolbox over which we don't have control. Fortunately, it is not present in Visual Studio 2012 or later versions as far as we know.

Have you tried uninstalling WCF Ria Services from Add/Remove Programs? Some customers have fixed the issue by uninstalling it.

I would also recommend you to clean the Toolbox cache which is created by the Visual Studio. Here are the steps you need to take in order to do that:
  1. Close all Visual Studio instances;
  2. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the directory %localappdata%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0
  3. Make sure that the option 'Show hidden files...' is selected in the Windows Explorer options;
  4. Delete all *.tbd files;
  5. Start Visual Studio 2010 and use the Toolbox Configurator wizard to set the required controls version.

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,
Dyanko
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

Joel
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
answered on 05 Dec 2014, 03:07 AM
Hi Dyanko,

Bingo!!
For my case, the culprit is WCF RIA Services.
Thanks.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
neebs
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
neebs
Top achievements