Multiple controls in Toolbox in VS2010

105 posts, 1 answers
  1. neebs
    neebs avatar
    106 posts

Posted 10 Jun 2010 Link to this post

I seem to have my toolbox showing multiple copies of each tool. How do I revert it back to it's original state? Note: If I hover over the replicated items, all display the same version information in the ToolTip. Attached is an image showing the issue.

2. Erjan Gavalji
    Admin
    Erjan Gavalji avatar
    1411 posts

Posted 11 Jun 2010 Link to this post

Hi Neebs,

Did you try resetting the Visual Studio toolbox (Right-click and select "Reset")?

Can you give me some more information about the circumstances you got the multiple toolbox items? Did it happen after you upgraded Q2 to Q2 SP2? Do you have parallel RadControls versions installed? Did you populate the toolbox manually?

Kind regards,
    Erjan Gavalji
    the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.

3. neebs
    neebs avatar
    106 posts

Posted 28 Jun 2010 Link to this post

Hello,

Sorry for the long delay, this slipped under my radar. I am not sure if this happened as a result of upgrading to VS2010 or the version of RadControls I am using now. That happens to be 2020.1.309.40. I do know that the problem is getting worse. I have seen cases where up to 10 instances of each component shows up in the tool box. Resetting the toolbox reduces it to 3 or less, but there are still multiple instances.

Steve

4. Erjan Gavalji
    Admin
    Erjan Gavalji avatar
    1411 posts

Posted 29 Jun 2010 Link to this post

Hi Steve,

Okay, it gets strange. Did you use the Upgrade Wizard? There is an page to update the toolbox with the new items there. If used, it can populate the toolbox with the controls in the new selected assembly... You could choose the "Replace all the previous RadControls Toolbox items with ones from the new assembly" option to have just a single toolbox item group (the current one).

Kind regards,
    Erjan Gavalji
    the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

5. neebs
    neebs avatar
    106 posts

Posted 30 Jun 2010 Link to this post

I did not use the upgrade wizard. I have just downloaded the most recent update from the website, but have not applied it yet. I could also wait for the Q2 2010 release to come out and apply that using the wizard. Or I could uninstall/reinstall. Attached is another image of what I'm seeing.

Steve

6. neebs
    neebs avatar
    106 posts

Attached is another image. I reset my toolbox, which left me with three of each item. I selected to choose toolbox items and the display I am presented with is attached. Notice that there is a .NET 4.0, 3.5 and 2.0 version of each control, even though the tooolbox is showing RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX Q1 2010 NET40.

Steve

7. Erjan Gavalji
    Admin
    Erjan Gavalji avatar
    1411 posts

Hi Steve,

Well, Visual Studio 2010 should filter the items properly. We did some changes for the Q1 2010 SP2 release regarding the ToolBoxItem registration in VS2010, because of other unknown behaviors of the IDE. Can you download the Q1 2010 SP2 release from Your Telerik Account and install it instead? Please note, it will replace the Q1 2010 release automatically.

Kind regards,
    Erjan Gavalji
    the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items

8. neebs
    neebs avatar
    106 posts

Posted 02 Jul 2010 Link to this post

Thanks for your help, installing SP2 fixed the problem.

Steve

9. neebs
    neebs avatar
    106 posts

Posted 02 Jul 2010 Link to this post

Sorry, the problem has returned.

10. Erjan Gavalji
    Admin
    Erjan Gavalji avatar
    1411 posts

Posted 06 Jul 2010 Link to this post

Hi Steve,

I'm sorry for that. Did you notice any circumstances when the problem appeared? Did you add any controls to the toolbox manually, or did you use the Telerik menu -> RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX -> Upgrade Wizard to update your project?

I'm sorry I cannot suggest a direct solution right now. We would try to reproduce the problem locally, but we would need the steps for that.

Kind regards,
    Erjan Gavalji
    the Telerik team

11. neebs
    neebs avatar
    106 posts

Posted 17 Sep 2010 Link to this post

Hi, This problem has been under the radar for a while because of other more important development issues. I have been tolerating this in the meantime. However, I am noticing VS 2010 takes an extremely long time (~5 minutes) to load, while displaying the following in the status at the bottom:

Loading toolbox content from package 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.IDE.ToolboxControlsInstaller.ToolboxInstallerPackage' 

I've searched for this, and recommendations include uninstalling Silverlight (I did that), and deleting the *.tbd files from the Visual Studio 10 user folder (Works temporarily). Yet I am still looking at 5 of every Telerik Control in the RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX Q2 2010 NET40 section. Same with Telerik Q2 2010 section. All others appear normal.

I'm wondering if this slow load time is related. Others working with me, yet not using Telerik do not experience this slow load time. I am running ReSharper 5.0 as well.

Thanks, Steve

12. Andrey
    Admin
    Andrey avatar
    239 posts

Posted 23 Sep 2010 Link to this post

Hello neebs,

I am sorry to hear you are still experiencing such issues.

Could you open a formal support ticket, containing screenshots of the following keys under the following paths in your registry:

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ToolboxControlsInstaller
      (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ToolboxControlsInstaller for 64 bit operating systems)
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ToolboxControlsInstallerCache

That would greatly help us with identifying the root of the experienced issue.

Kind regards,
    Andrey
    the Telerik team

13. Geoff Davis
    Geoff Davis avatar
    11 posts

Posted 25 Nov 2010 Link to this post

I'm getting the same problem. There are duplicate entries in the toolbox but i'm not sure if mine is related directly to Telerik controls, I have also had the same problem with another 3rd party component vendor and now wondering if this is related to VS2010 itself. Resetting the toolbox doesn't always work I have found and uninstalling the telerik controls still leave the control entries in the toolbox.

14. Telmo Silva
    Telmo Silva avatar
    16 posts

Posted 28 Nov 2010 Link to this post

I am experiencing the same issue.

Opening the toolbox locks VS2010 for about a minute displaying the message at the bottom "Loading toolbox content from package..."

Once it is finished, there are 5 copies of each Telerik control (and one other third party control but not the Common Silverlight controls).

I have so far tried to 1) Reset the toolbox, 2) delete all tbd files and restart VS 3) Launch Toolbox Configurator.  

2) temporarily fixes the problem.

Any ideas?

15. Erjan Gavalji
    Admin
    Erjan Gavalji avatar
    1411 posts

Posted 29 Nov 2010 Link to this post

Hi guys,

To my regret we were not able to reproduce a constant duplication of the Toolbox items. What I mean is that a toolbox Reset (or tbd file deletion) fixes the problem on our test machines.

With that said, any help reproducing the problem on our side will be most appreciated.
    I haven't got any results on the other possible solution we suggested - repairing Visual Studio (though this is not the best option of course)...

Kind regards,
    Erjan Gavalji
    the Telerik team

Browse the vast support resources we have to jumpstart your development with RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. See how to integrate our AJAX controls seamlessly in SharePoint 2007/2010 visiting our common SharePoint portal.

16. Geoff Davis
    Geoff Davis avatar
    11 posts

I have since rebuilt my virtual machine and the problem has gone away. I'm really leaning towards bulk installing software for VS2010 that could have caused this problem. What I mean by this is that I previously installed VS2010, SL4, Telerik and WP7 controls without actually running VS2010 as soon as it was installed. This maybe why the toolbox showed incorrect entries.

This time around I installed VS2010, run it, closed it. Installed SL4, run VS2010, closed it, Installed Telerik Suite, run VS2010, closed it, installed WP7, run VS2010, closed it and I could see Telerik menu items in relation to the project type as expected.

Regardless, IMOH I think this is definitely related to the order of software I have installed.

Geoff.

17. Telmo Silva
    Telmo Silva avatar
    16 posts

I will not say this is a fix as it may be too soon to tell but here are some additional steps I took:

1) I uninstalled Telerik Silverlight and one other Silverlight 3rd party control and reset VS2010
        -> Issue remained
    2) I changed VS2010 to start with  administrator level
    -> Problem was not noticeable afte rseveral re-starts of VS2010
    3) reinstalled Telerik Silverlight.
    -> Problem is not noticeable after one day BUT I am unable to see RadCOntrols in Toolbox either.
    -> I have since reset the toolbox and the controls came back.

So the Loading Toolbox issue problem is so far resolved but I'll keep you posted in case it comes back. (Trying hard having to reinstall VS2010)

18. Erjan Gavalji
    Admin
    Erjan Gavalji avatar
    1411 posts

Posted 30 Nov 2010 Link to this post

Hi guys,

Thanks indeed for the useful feedback!

@Geoff, we will try reproducing the problem with the steps you provided.

P.S. Both Telerik accounts were updated for your help.

Best regards,
    Erjan Gavalji
    the Telerik team

Browse the vast support resources we have to jumpstart your development with RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. See how to integrate our AJAX controls seamlessly in SharePoint 2007/2010 visiting our common SharePoint portal.

19. Geoff Davis
    Geoff Davis avatar
    11 posts

Posted 02 Dec 2010 Link to this post

So I thought I had this sorted but I came across another problem that completely messed up the Toolbox. I had installed DevExpress components with IDETools as part of my development build which was installed after the Telerik ones but I decided not to use these anymore and therefore uninstalled them. To my surprise when I opened up my Silverlight application, the Telerik toolbox was missing and only showed the 'Common Silverlight Controls' and the 'All Silverlight Controls' nodes. I went to the Telerik menu/Silverlight and clicked the Toolbox Configurator which went through it's motions and it did create the Telerik RadControls For Silverlight node but it only showed one item in it (Can't remember which).

Now I don't know if this is related to having DevExpress and Telerik components installed side-by-side but since I had previously backed up my VM prior to installing the DevExpress suite, I just refreshed the VM and i'm all good again. I've lost so much development time with trying to work out what is going on here but I thought I would let you know of my findings.

Geoff.

20. Erjan Gavalji
    Admin
    Erjan Gavalji avatar
    1411 posts

Posted 07 Dec 2010 Link to this post

Geoff,

Thanks a lot for reporting your findings! We'll play with these to try figuring our what happens.

I guess that resetting the toolbox could have helped in that case. We are on our way to find this out.

Kind regards,
    Erjan Gavalji
    the Telerik team

21. Yunuen Sanchez
    Yunuen Sanchez avatar
    9 posts

Posted 06 Jan 2011 Link to this post

I have the same issue here and I'm using Q3 2010 release.

I tried resetting the toolbox, deleting the tbd files, deleting the tabs and regenerating the items using the "Toolbox Configurator" and manually choosing items; no matter what I do, the tab <RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX Q3 2010 NET40>, is always showing 3 items for NET20, NET35 and NET40 or NET40 items twice after resetting visual studio.

I hope you can find a solution soon.

Thanks
    Edgar

22. Erjan Gavalji
    Admin
    Erjan Gavalji avatar
    1411 posts

Posted 07 Jan 2011 Link to this post

Hi Edgar,

Is this Visual Studio 2008, or is it Visual Studio 2010? Basically, Visual Studio 2010 should only display the control set with the largest applicable version number (i.e. the .NET 4.0 ones when your project targets Framework 4.0, .NET 3.5 ones when your project targets Framework 3.5 and .NET 2.0 ones when the project targets Framework 2.0).

This filtering is not applied in Visual Studio 2008, which makes the things a bit confusing.

Just to make sure the items in your ToolBox are the latest ones, can you hover an item in the toolbox and tell me its version? Is it 2010.3.1109.xx?

Kind regards,
    Erjan Gavalji
    the Telerik team

Browse the vast support resources we have to jump start your development with RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. See how to integrate our AJAX controls seamlessly in SharePoint 2007/2010 visiting our common SharePoint portal.

23. Yunuen Sanchez
    Yunuen Sanchez avatar
    9 posts

Posted 09 Jan 2011 Link to this post

Hi Erjan,

I'm using Visual Studio 2010, items in toolbox are version 2010.3.1215.40.

I've been playing around with all the options posted here and there, at this point I only have the items twice but the loading time is still annoying. File toolbox.tbd used to be like 3 MB, now is more than 5 MB.

Could you kindly post a set of steps to follow from the beginning? I can give feedback on each step if you like.

Best regards
    Edgar Sanchez

24. Andreas N.
    Andreas N. avatar
    26 posts

Posted 10 Jan 2011 Link to this post

Hi,

same situation here. I started seeing Telerik SL4 controls multiple times in the toolbox; reset the toolbox; deleted tbd files and the slow loading of toolbox items on VS start began.

As Geoff I have DevExpress controls installed.

The situation does not change even if uninstalling all controls from Telerik and/or DevExpress

Thanks for your help

25. Erjan Gavalji
    Admin
    Erjan Gavalji avatar
    1411 posts

Posted 11 Jan 2011 Link to this post

Hi guys,

@Andreas, thanks for the details indeed!

Please, excuse the delay with this reply. I was trying to reproduce the problem locally, but again was not able to.

I'm afraid I cannot suggest a decent step list to try. From the RadControls installer perspective, the Toolbox item registration depends on lots of stuff (type of RadControls installation - parallel installs, upgrade, or uninstall, followed by an install, starting Visual Studio between the uninstall and install, or not, etc).

Please excuse that.

I want to suggest another thing though:
    @Edgar, is it possible for you to assist me trying to find a step list, that will help finding the problem? If you could separate some time for a remote session to your computer, please open a formal support ticket to coordinate the schedule.

I hope we will have the problem sorted out and we will have a list of steps to perform to get rid of the erroneous behavior. Once we are able to fix this, we will post the list hereby.

Kind regards,
    Erjan Gavalji
    the Telerik team

Browse the vast support resources we have to jump start your development with RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. See how to integrate our AJAX controls seamlessly in SharePoint 2007/2010 visiting our common SharePoint portal.

26. Tomashiba
    Tomashiba avatar
    6 posts

Posted 03 Feb 2011 Link to this post

Hi,

I had same problem and when VS2010 was loding it took between 3-5 mins before I could do anything, I followed instructions from http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vswpfdesigner/thread/97d360a3-09d5-4839-80b7-1ab370011540/ (2nd post - post by Marco Goertz) and it seems to be working, load time is much faster and 3rd party controls are listed only once in the toolbox, hope it helps.

27. Richard Cockerham
    Richard Cockerham avatar
    4 posts

Posted 02 Mar 2011 Link to this post

I came across this thread because I am now having the same issue obviously. My toolbox was fine no problems but I thought it would be nice to sort the items in the toolbox by name and it duplicated all the controls. Each on has the same version number on hover. I had not sorted the controls since installed, no updates, no service packs. Hope this helps you reproduce the problem.

28. Erjan Gavalji
    Admin
    Erjan Gavalji avatar
    1411 posts

Posted 02 Mar 2011 Link to this post

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the heads-up!
    Just tried with Q3 2010 with no results.

Can you help some more please? Which Telerik products do you have? And which versions? Do you have parallel installs?

Thanks a lot,
    Erjan
    the Telerik team

Registration for Q1 2011 What’s New Webinar Week is now open. Mark your calendar for the week starting March 21st and book your seat for a walk through all the exciting stuff we ship with the new release!

29. Brad
    Brad  avatar
    9 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 Link to this post

I was having the same occurrence in VS2010.  Here are the steps I took to resolve the issue.  

1) Remove all telerik tabs from the toolbox (right click on "RadControls for Silverlight Q1 2011", etc. and select "Delete tab")
    2) Launch the "Toolbox Configurator" in the menu bar under "Telerik -> RadControls for Silverlight -> Launch Toolbox Configurator"
    3) Select the version you want to use in the dropdown and click "Finish" (I selected the most recent update first)
    4) Continue the 2 latter steps for any other control versions you may want to use 

It worked for me for now.  I hope it works for you.

30. Tim
    Tim avatar
    1 posts

Posted 07 Sep 2011 Link to this post

For the past few months I've also been experiencing this problem (multiple of the same item in the toolbox) as well as the slow loading time (toolbox initialisation) when I first open the toolbox each time I open VS2010.

After many hours of trawling the web and trying various things I've finally managed to fix it on my computer for my particular installation scenario, as well as possibly identify what is happening.  In my case the problem was related to the WCF RIA Services Toolkit April 2011, so if you don't have this installed then this probably won't work for you unfortunately.

Here's what fixed it for me (as well as the testing I did to confirm it):
    1) Uninstall all Telerik products (including any VS Extensions that you've installed via Extension Manager)
    2) Uninstall WCF RIA Services Toolkit April 2011 (IMPORTANT)
    3) Open up VS2010, open the toolbox, right-click and select "Reset Toolbox"
    4) Close VS2010
    5) Reinstall all Telerik products
    6) Open up VS2010 and open the toolbox.  This first time will take a while as the toolbox cache needs to be constructed.
    8) Load a solution that uses Telerik controls (in my case it was an asp.net website) and confirm that the toolbox only has one of each item in it.
    7) Close VS2010
    8) Open up VS2010 and open the toolbox.  It should be quick this time as the cache is already constructed.
    10) Load a solution that uses Telerik controls (in my case it was an asp.net website) and confirm that the toolbox only has one of each item in it.

Why does this work?
    Well, I'm speculating here but I think that each time a change is made to the toolbox (e.g. new control installation) VS2010 will process all the toolbox items and cache them locally for quick lookup the next time you open the toolbox.  It appears that on successful construction of the cache a flag is probably set somewhere to say that the cache is up to date.  However, if the cache construction process doesn't terminate successfully then this flag is never set and thus each time you open the toolbox VS2010 attempts to reconstruct the cache.  This explains the slow first load of the toolbox on each start of VS2010.  I suspect that somewhere in the logic for the Telerik toolbox installer there needs to be a check to see if the item is already in the cache (not sure if this is possible) as they keep getting added each time the cache is constructed.

But, I hear you say, what does this have to do with the WCF RIA Services Toolkit April 2011???
    Well, during my trawling of the web I found this MS Connect thread. Take a look at the Post by MawashiKid on 26/06/2011.  He successfully narrowed down a crash in the toolbox installer package to the WCF RIA Service Toolkit April 2011 package.  It seems that this "rogue" is crashing the toolbox cache initialisation process and then the follow-on effect is for the toolbox cache to try and reconstruct itself each time...

At any rate, my advice to the testers at Telerik is to install WCF RIA Service Toolkit April 2011 and then try reproducing this issue.  You might have better luck!  Also, I would be interested to know how many of the people who are having this issue have WCF RIA Service Toolkit April 2011 installed on their machine?

Hopefully this will help people that are experiencing the same issue!