This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Menu Default Style - 2009_1_529

6 Answers 62 Views
Menu
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Jim
Top achievements
Rank 1
Jim asked on 04 Jun 2009, 09:48 PM
Hi - 
I think this is simply a bug and I understand that these controls are not released.  It appears that somewhere between the sl3-413 and the sl3-529 release we lost the default back/fore ground color for the menu.  Previously (in sl2 and sl2-413) the default is a dark gray background with a lighter foreground for the text.

This is not critical (although if you can easily tell me what to do to fix it I would be ok with that) but I thought you should know for your next release.  If you need help recreating, I am happy to help with that..

btw: I am nearing the end of my evaluation phase and I want to pass along a "well-done" to you guys.  I haven't used all of the components but so far they have all worked very nicely and have often surprised me by doing cool things beyond my expectations.

6 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Boyan
Telerik team
answered on 10 Jun 2009, 03:26 PM
Hi Jim,

You have a sharp eye. We indeed changed the background/foreground color of RadMenu. Our designers team decided to change the colors for better look. I think it is not a problem for you although you can always change this colors by the  Background, Foreground properties or by editing the template.

Thank you for the good words and if you have more questions we will be glad to help.

Kind regards,
Boyan
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Check out the tips for optimizing your support resource searches.
Jim
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Jun 2009, 05:12 PM
Hi Boyan -

It appears that getting back to your original colors is harder than I had expected. I am able to set background and foreground, but in this particular style when then mouse hovers over the menu it switches the foreground from white to black.  If I hard-code the colors by setting Background={... } Foreground={...} I loose this very nice effect.

I am not overly comfortable with completely controlling the template for this control. Is this the only way to accomplish the original look and feel?  If I need to "replace" the template, where could I get the original template?

Thanks -
Jim
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Jun 2009, 12:49 PM
I was able to find a reasonable template code in the online examples; menu-template.  I was also able to get the menu displaying like I am interested.  The down-side to my approach is that I spent quite a bit of time 'discovering' how the template interacted with the control.

I am left with two questions:

1) what is the best approach for discovering a reasonable template layout (and required items) for a control like radmenu.  As you probably know the menu template doesn't work without the <popup> named 'PART_Popup'.  Had I not found the example I would have not been successful.

2) I cannot get the 'Highlighted' visual state to do anything.  I am not sure how to discover if this visual state is even being used.  I presume this state fires when the mouse hovers over the menu ( and turns it orange in the default ).  If that is the case something is not working for me.  I can change any of the values in the storyboard to anything I desire and the effect is not seen.

<vsm:VisualState x:Name="Highlighted"
                            <Storyboard> 
                                <ObjectAnimationUsingKeyFrames Duration="0" Storyboard.TargetName="Bg" Storyboard.TargetProperty="Opacity"
                                    <DiscreteObjectKeyFrame KeyTime="0" Value="1"/> 
                                </ObjectAnimationUsingKeyFrames> 
                                <ObjectAnimationUsingKeyFrames Storyboard.TargetName="Content" Storyboard.TargetProperty="Foreground"
                                    <DiscreteObjectKeyFrame KeyTime="0" Value="#FFFFFFFF"/> 
                                <ObjectAnimationUsingKeyFrames Storyboard.TargetName="Content" Storyboard.TargetProperty="FontSize"
                                    <DiscreteObjectKeyFrame KeyTime="0" Value="48"/> 
                            </Storyboard> 
                        </vsm:VisualState> 

Thanks for your help with this.
Doug
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Jun 2009, 11:48 PM
I too need to modify the templates, I'm using Blend and it doesn't expose the default styles for us to edit?  How do we get those?
Dimitrina
Telerik team
answered on 18 Jun 2009, 11:11 AM
Hello,

You can make a custom theme for the controls you want. For more information you can visit this link: http://www.telerik.com/help/silverlight/radcontrols-silverlight-edit-theme-brushes.html.

About question for  VisualState  x:Name="Highlighted"  :

Now, you can edit the foreground of the text as now we are using ContentPresenter instead of ContenControl. There are several reasons why we decided to use ContentPresenter instead of ContentControl:

1)  The ContentControl does not allow to inherit  the  Foreground

2)  Once changed, the ContentControl's ForeGround cannot be rebound to the RadMenuItem's
                      ForeGround. Hence the RadMenuItem's ForeGround cannot be changed at runtime

Please let us know if you have other questions.

Regards,
Dimitrina
the Telerik team

Valentin.Stoychev
Telerik team
answered on 18 Jun 2009, 11:11 AM
Hello,

You can make a custom theme for the controls you want. For more information you can visit this link: http://www.telerik.com/help/silverlight/radcontrols-silverlight-edit-theme-brushes.html.

About question for  VisualState  x:Name="Highlighted"  :

Now, you can edit the foreground of the text as now we are using ContentPresenter instead of ContenControl. There are several reasons why we decided to use ContentPresenter instead of ContentControl:

1)  The ContentControl does not allow to inherit  the  Foreground

2)  Once changed, the ContentControl's ForeGround cannot be rebound to the RadMenuItem's
                      ForeGround. Hence the RadMenuItem's ForeGround cannot be changed at runtime

Please let us know if you have other questions.

Regards,
Valentin.Stoychev
the Telerik team

Tags
Menu
Asked by
Jim
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Boyan
Telerik team
Jim
Top achievements
Rank 1