This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Memory Leak with Q1 2013 Release

5 Answers 140 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Deepak Shakya
Top achievements
Rank 1
Deepak Shakya asked on 10 Apr 2013, 05:13 AM
Hi,
I updated my references to the new Q1 2013 (SP1) and now there is a memory leak. I thought there should some problem with my code. But first, I removed all the new references and referenced with Q3 2012 ones. There is no memory leak. I am surprised as to what changed and why this is happening.

Please refer to the attached snapshots of the libraries used and Memory leak using JustTrace. The Blue object seems to hold on to the reference. It is a static property and is referred by a property in viewmodel. The viewmodel should be collected when the view goes away but in this case, it isn't collected when the view changes. When the view is back in place, another instance of the viewmodel is created, hence the leak.

The static property in question is of a type "OverviewViewModel". It contains a ObservableCollection property "Subregions" that is bound to a List box. The view also has a Master-Detail format with the SelectedItem's properties bound to other controls.

The problem is that this wasn't an issue with Q3 2012 Release.

If I swap back the Q3 2012 version. It all works great.

Any help is highly appreciated.

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Yordanka
Telerik team
answered on 10 Apr 2013, 07:45 AM
Hello Deepak,

Thank you for the feedback.

Could you specify which of the Telerik controls you are using and the one causing the memory leak?

Greetings,
Yordanka
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading Telerik DevCraft Ultimate.

Deepak Shakya
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Apr 2013, 08:10 AM
Hi Yordanka,

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure exactly which control is causing the problem but I have few Telerik controls on the view such as - 
  • RadButtons
  • MaskedTextBoxes
  • RadTabControl
  • RadCharts

Thanks!
Tina Stancheva
Telerik team
answered on 15 Apr 2013, 08:03 AM
Hi Deepak,

Thank you for getting back to us! We're not aware of any memory leaks caused by the controls you listed. This is why I wanted to ask you if you can try to isolate the issue in a sample solution and attach it in a new ticket. I also noticed in the snapshots you sent that you've referenced the Diagrams assemblies so I was wondering if your solution utilizes RadDiagrams as well.

If you can send a solution where the leak can be reproduced, we will gladly further investigate it to find what causes the leak.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation on this matter.

All the best,
Tina Stancheva
the Telerik team

Deepak Shakya
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Apr 2013, 08:08 AM
Hi Tina,

Thanks for getting back to me. I am using RadDiagrams but at this stage the view with the Diagram is not loaded yet. I am just switching between views with the controls mentioned. The project is big so I am having difficulty as to where the problem lies. The ListBox I am using is the standard one to list my items. But other controls are Telerik ones.

It just amazes me that the problem goes away by replacing the controls with the older version. This is a reason why I posted.

Will try and play around for a while and see if I can isolate the problem. Its just too big.

Thanks for looking though.

Cheers!
Tina Stancheva
Telerik team
answered on 18 Apr 2013, 08:21 AM
Hi Deepak,

Thank you for getting back to us. I can understand why you believe the issue is caused by the upgrade but unfortunately we haven't received any reports regarding memory leaks in the controls you listed and this is why it's hard for us to assist you without a sample solution. But if we can assist you while you're trying to replicate the issue in a sample project, please let us know.

All the best,
Tina Stancheva
the Telerik team

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Deepak Shakya
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Yordanka
Telerik team
Deepak Shakya
Top achievements
Rank 1