Major issue with 2012_2_0912

43 posts, 0 answers
  1. Vlad
    Admin
    Vlad avatar
    11100 posts

Posted 15 Oct 2012 Link to this post

Hi,

Do you get this exception in run-time or in design-time? Can you send us small project where we can reproduce the exception?

All the best,
    Vlad
    the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading Telerik DevCraft Ultimate.

2. Rob Ainscough
    Rob Ainscough avatar
    172 posts

Posted 19 Oct 2012 Link to this post

I just downloaded/installed and changed my project references to point to the latest: 2012.3.1017.1050 and I'm still getting the exact same error as I initially posted for this thread.

It looks to me like all builds AFTER 2012.2.725.1050 are requiring the Expression Blend SL5 Preview SDK be installed??  Please please please tell me Telerik is NOT requiring an "unsupported" SDK to be installed in order for newer build (post 725) to work??

See my other thread I started, SSDD.

BTW, the error is triggered whenever I try load the designer (XAML).  I've tried Marcel's process and that didn't make a difference.  Tried different version, hot fixes, fresh installed, on another PC and I still get the same error.  If I go back to any version 2012.2.725.1050 or earlier and I don't get the problem.  So clearly something Telerik did after 2012.2.725.1050 is the cause of the problem.

Not happy at all, going back to 725 (yet again).

Rob
  3. DevCraft banner
  4. JOHN
    JOHN avatar
    2 posts

Posted 19 Oct 2012 Link to this post

Happened to me, after installing Q3.
  5. Brent
    Brent avatar
    33 posts

Posted 20 Oct 2012 Link to this post

Its also happening to me after installing Q3
  6. Dimitrina
    Admin
    Dimitrina avatar
    3769 posts

Posted 22 Oct 2012 Link to this post

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. 

I have tested the reported problem but unfortunately I were not able to reproduce such an exception in the Designer View. Please note that I do not have the Expression Blend SL5 Preview SDK installed.

Please check the attached test project and let me know how it behaves at your side. Would it be possible for you to change it accordingly and send it back to me so that I can observe the error message?

Greetings,
    Didie
    the Telerik team

7. Rob Ainscough
    Rob Ainscough avatar
    172 posts

Posted 25 Oct 2012 Link to this post

I loaded your zipped up project and the designer didn't trigger any errors.

BUT:

1.  Your project is a C# project not a VB project
    2.  Your project is VERY limited in scope (just one Telerik:RadGridView)
    3.  Your project doesn't contain a "web application project"
    4.  In only references 4 Telerik DLLs (Telerik.Windows.Controls, Telerik.Windows.Controls.GridView, Telerik.Windows.Controls.Input, Telerik.Windows.Data)

Wouldn't you want to setup a test project with ALL the Telerik controls in order to see if there is a problem??

I've attached a picture of all my project references so you can emulate the same and see if that triggers the error for you.  I'm almost certain it's a conflict similar to the conflict you folks had with RadRichTextBoxRibbonBarUI.DLL and RibbonBar.DLL not getting along with RibbonView.DLL and RichTextBoxUI.DLL.

Rob
  8. Dimitrina
    Admin
    Dimitrina avatar
    3769 posts

Posted 29 Oct 2012 Link to this post

Hi,

Thank you for your notes.

The problem initially reported for version 2012.2.912 was related to the "Telerik.Windows.Controls.GridView" assembly (without having any Telerik control initialized) and that is why I have tested that case. 

Now I have followed your instructions and I were able to locate the problem in another assembly -  "Telerik.Windows.Controls.Diagrams.dll". We are currently investigating the case. Meanwhile you could avoid using this assembly and there will not be any problem with the Designer.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused. We will try to provide a fix as soon as possible.

Greetings,
    Didie
    the Telerik team

9. Rob Ainscough
    Rob Ainscough avatar
    172 posts

Posted 29 Oct 2012 Link to this post

Hi Didie,

Glad you were able to duplicate the problem.  We're going to stay with 2012.2.725 until you folks release a fix.

I highly recommend that any time Telerik release an "official" version (not a hot fix) that you test ALL the controls (together in one project) that are a part of the RadControls package.

Rob 
  10. Tina Stancheva
    Admin
    Tina Stancheva avatar
    3298 posts

Posted 01 Nov 2012 Link to this post

Hello Rob,

We narrowed down the cause for the issue ant it lied in the
    Telerik.Windows.Controls.Diagrams.VisualStudio.Design.5.0.dll. We fixed and the fix will be available with the internal build next Monday.

In the meantime, you can still use the 2012.3.1017 version of our controls as long as you remove the Telerik.Windows.Controls.Diagrams.VisualStudio.Design.5.0.dll from the design folder in the binaries folder.

All the best,
    Tina Stancheva
    the Telerik team

11. Rob Ainscough
    Rob Ainscough avatar
    172 posts

Posted 09 Nov 2012 Link to this post

Tina,

That seems to have solved it.  Can you tell me what are the side effects from deleting the Telerik.Windows.Controsl.Diagrams.VisualStudio.Design.5.0.dll ?

However, RadRadioButton visual state (IsChecked) still seems to NOT work when bound to a ViewModel ... I was hoping that issue was fixed in 2012.3.1017 ... I haven't been able to come up with a work-around either (that will work with ViewModel).  Posted in another thread where other's are having the same problem.
  12. Zarko
    Admin
    Zarko avatar
    755 posts

Posted 14 Nov 2012 Link to this post

Hello Rob,
    You should not experience any side effects from deleting the Telerik.Windows.Controsl.Diagrams.VisualStudio.Design.5.0.dll file because it is meant to work with VisualStudio 2012 and the .4.0.dll is for VisualStudio 2010 The problem was that VS loads both of the dlls and some code in the .5.0 dll was throwing an exception in VS 2010. As Tina said we fixed this issue and now everything should be fine.
    As for your second issue - I posted an answer there too so could you please check it out and I if you need further asistance feel free to ask.

Greetings,
    Zarko
    the Telerik team

13. Rob Ainscough
    Rob Ainscough avatar
    172 posts

Posted 14 Nov 2012 Link to this post

Zarko,

FYI, with the Telerik.Windows.Controls.Diagrams.VisualStudio.Design.5.0.dll deleted, the loading (Design view) of any XAML files in my project are VERY VERY VERY slow now (10 seconds, used to be 1-2 seconds) ... this is on a 4.8Ghz 6 core Intel i7-3960X with 32GB RAM and Intel SSD drive.

Any word on when you'll have an official release (I will not use Beta's in my production environment)?

Thanks, Rob.
  14. Tina Stancheva
    Admin
    Tina Stancheva avatar
    3298 posts

Posted 15 Nov 2012 Link to this post

Hi Rob,

Our next official release will be the Q3 2012 SP1 and it is due by the end of the month.

However, as the slow loading issue sounds very odd we wanted to ask you for more details. Can you please elaborate on when do you experience the issue - each time you try to open the xaml file of a UserControl or only when opening ResourceDictionaries. Does it happen all the time or only when you first open the file? Is your solution extensive - can you send it over so that we can test it on our side? We tried to reproduce the issue in sample solution but to no avail. And this is why we were wondering what is the content of your xaml pages and is the content related to the issue.

Your assistance on the matter will be highly appreciated as we'd like to get to the bottom of this.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
    Tina Stancheva
    the Telerik team

DevCraft banner