This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Localization

6 Answers 288 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Michael
Top achievements
Rank 1
Michael asked on 15 Jun 2012, 08:59 AM
Hi,

what is the status of the localization feature in the july final-release?
In the migrating-from-telerik-extensions-for-asp.net-mvc-FAQs you mentioned:
"The Telerik Extensions for ASP.NET MVC offer the ability for all components to be localized using resource files. As it stands right now, in the beta, Kendo UI for ASP.NET MVC does not contain an equivalent for localization. However, this will change in a future release."

When will localization of the different widgets (espacially for the Grid) be available?
For us that is a dealbreaker in using Kendo UI for ASP.NET MVC instead of the existing Telerik Extensions.

Regards,
Michael.

6 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Sebastian
Telerik team
answered on 04 Jul 2012, 07:52 AM
Hello Michael,

Localization support for Kendo UI Complete for ASP.NET MVC is slated for the Q3'12 release of the product, expected at the end of 2012. I hope this timeframe is plausable for you and your project completion.

Kind regards,
Sebastian
the Telerik team
Join us on our journey to create the world's most complete HTML 5 UI Framework - download Kendo UI now!
Michael Sogos
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Jul 2012, 09:53 PM
Hi,

I really, really, need this feature. I can wait until December 2012 but not over because my project kickoff will be in march 2013.

Can you promise me that for Q3 2012 we all will have this required feature?

Atanas Korchev
Telerik team
answered on 27 Jul 2012, 05:47 AM
Hi,

Actually we were able to implement localization with the Q2 release. Check the various globalization demos in the sample project. We will update the documentation shortly.

All the best,
Atanas Korchev
the Telerik team
Join us on our journey to create the world's most complete HTML 5 UI Framework - download Kendo UI now!
Michael Sogos
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Jul 2012, 03:39 PM
Hi,

Yes i already see your Grid -> Globalization example and there is nothing that i can do (i think), let me explain.

The example page is very simple, i need to:
- Load culturized javascript with this code (  <script src="@Url.Content("~/Scripts/cultures/kendo.culture." + culture + ".js")"></script> ), but that files have only culturized formats (currency,dateformat,etc.) no any translation string.
- I need to call a method of KendoUI to change culture at runtime with this code (  kendo.culture("@culture"); )

In page example there aren't a way to understand how to localize every Grid strings, after a quick understanding i see that you localize mvc component with Satellite Assembly under Bin Folder, and for me could be ok (i prefer an razor/html way to localize string like asp.net for ajax), but there isn't an italian assembly (my fallback language).

So redo my question concernly to Sebastian answer in this post: Can you promise me that for Q3 2012 we all will have this required feature?

And why Italian language is so ignored or have a very low priority for you?

Michael Sogos ;)

Atanas Korchev
Telerik team
answered on 30 Jul 2012, 07:36 AM
Hi Michael, 

I restate my reply - we already have implemented localization in Q2 2012. You have two options
  • Use the provided satellite assemblies. You can edit the source code project of the mvc wrappers to add new satellite assemblies.
  • Set the text properties in your view e.g:
    .Pageable(p => p.Messages(m => m.Last("go to the last page").First("go to the first page")))

The satellite assemblies are based on user submitted localization files. If you are willing to submit an Italian localization we would gladly include it.

Regards,
Atanas Korchev
the Telerik team
Michael Sogos
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 30 Jul 2012, 09:48 AM
Ok, i will work on a new satellite assembly for italian next weeks. When ready i will submit you that.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Michael
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Sebastian
Telerik team
Michael Sogos
Top achievements
Rank 1