This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Keyboard accessibility for 2009 listbox control

7 Answers 97 Views
ListBox
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Lauren
Top achievements
Rank 1
Lauren asked on 22 Mar 2011, 06:36 PM
Hello,

My project team is using the 2009 Q3 Telerik controls. We found that on Internet Explorer the listbox control cannot be accessed by the Tab key on the keyboard. Our project must be 508 compliant and we are discouraged from using access keys because they can override existing keys. We also tried setting the TabIndex but that did not help. Do you have any suggestions on how to use the tab key to navigate to and select from the Telerik listbox?

Thanks,

Lauren

7 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Dimitar Terziev
Telerik team
answered on 25 Mar 2011, 05:57 PM
Hello Lauren,

Could you specify which version of IE you are using?
Please check, if you experience the same behavior on the demo here.

All the best,
Dimitar Terziev
the Telerik team
Lauren
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Mar 2011, 06:07 PM
We are finding this problem in Internet Explorer 7 and 8.
Dimitar Terziev
Telerik team
answered on 31 Mar 2011, 09:48 AM
Hi Lauren,

We tested the accessing of RadListBox with Tab in 2009.3.1103.3 version and it worked on our side.
We managed to focus the RadListBox.
Once you focus the listbox, you can navigate through the items using up and down arrow keys of the keyboard.
I'm sending you a link  to a clip, showing the behavior locally.

What might be the difference in your case?

Kind regards,
Dimitar Terziev
the Telerik team
Lauren
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 07 Apr 2011, 06:44 PM
Hello again,

The only difference that I can think of is that our listboxes are located in a user control. We have implemented a tab structure, where the menu is the Telerik RadTabStrip and each "tab" is linked to a Page View. Within the page view is a user control. I would think it is because the control is contained within multiple controls that it cannot be tabbed to except that we can tab to the RadComboBoxes that are located within the same user control but the focus just skips right over the listboxes. Say you put a few textboxes or combo boxes before the listbox, are you still able to tab through those and then directly to the listbox in IE 7 or 8?

Thanks!

Lauren
Dimitar Terziev
Telerik team
answered on 13 Apr 2011, 09:07 AM
Hi Lauren,

I've managed to reproduce the problem, which in fact only occurs when you have additional input controls along with the RadListBox.

Nevertheless when you set a higher TabIndex for the RadListBox you could focus it and navigate through its items using the arrow keys.

Please check this clip showing what I've tested and try to find the appropriate TabIndex for your scenario.

Kind regards,
Dimitar Terziev
the Telerik team

Browse the vast support resources we have to jump start your development with RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. See how to integrate our AJAX controls seamlessly in SharePoint 2007/2010 visiting our common SharePoint portal.

Lauren
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 13 Apr 2011, 02:18 PM
Yes, we thought about using the TabIndex. The problem with that solution is since we have so many items (links, menus and other form controls) on the page, we would have to assign a tab index to each item so that the user tabs through everything in order. It is a Section 508 issue that a keyboard user should be able to tab through the items in a logical sequence. We do not want the focus to skip around.

Would the Telerik team consider fixing this issue so that others do not experience the same problem? A user should be able to tab to each form control in order when filling out an electronic form.

Thank you for looking into this issue for us.

Lauren
Dimitar Terziev
Telerik team
answered on 15 Apr 2011, 12:07 PM
Hello Lauren,

By default not all html elements could be focused using Tab button and "div" is on of them. Since the RadListBox is rendered as a div, it needs a TabIndex specified in order to be focus. This is just a limitation from the browsers, it's not a problem related to the RadListBox itself.

If you want to make a logical sequence in which your elements to be focused you have to use the TabIndex. This is the default application for this property.

Kind regards,
Dimitar Terziev
the Telerik team

Browse the vast support resources we have to jump start your development with RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX. See how to integrate our AJAX controls seamlessly in SharePoint 2007/2010 visiting our common SharePoint portal.

Tags
ListBox
Asked by
Lauren
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Dimitar Terziev
Telerik team
Lauren
Top achievements
Rank 1