This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

JustMock for Visual Studio 2017 RC

24 Answers 200 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Marc
Top achievements
Rank 1
Marc asked on 23 Nov 2016, 02:27 PM

Hi there

Is there any early access program or something similar for JustMock? Due to some license problems I had to move to Visual Studio 2017 RC and now I desperately need the JustMock Profiler...

Any chance?

Thank you for your help

Mike

24 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Kaloyan
Telerik team
answered on 28 Nov 2016, 10:59 AM
Hello Marc,

At this stage, we cannot provide a JustMock package that supports VS 2017.

I will further escalate this to our product management department for more details.

Regards,
Kaloyan
Telerik by Progress
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Kenneth
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Dec 2016, 02:29 PM
I am anxiously awaiting this, as well!
Marc
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Dec 2016, 02:59 PM
No news on that?? I mean, come on it's not as if VS 2017 just came out and you didn't knew that... So please hurry up I really need this and I don't want to look for another mocking tool...
Svetlozar
Telerik team
answered on 21 Dec 2016, 02:45 PM
Hi,

I am really sorry for the inconvenience!

I am sorry, but I can't commit on a specific date for the official support. We are monitoring the Visual Studio releases as well.

Regards,
Svetlozar
Telerik by Progress
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Anthony
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Jan 2017, 08:40 PM

I'd like to see this soon too.

At this point it's a race to for time to review and learn an alternative, or Telerik releasing an update.

Kenneth
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Mar 2017, 01:35 PM

Visual Studio 2017 has RTM'ed. Any news on a new release for JustMock? I tried running the Telerik Control Panel to see if there's a checkbox for VS2017 yet, and it's not there... :) 

Anthony
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Mar 2017, 01:49 PM

Kenneth,

I've been disappointed by Telerik's communication about JustMock. Here's a synopsis of a recent Twitter conversation:

Me (2/15): "Is there an update on JustMock support for Visual Studio 2017RC?"
Stefan Stefanov (2/17): "...we are currently evaluating what is the impact of VS2017 on the tool and how to best proceed with its support."
Me (2/17): "That was basically the status over two months ago. Are you killing this product?"
Stefan Stefanov (2/18): "v2017 just came out recently and is not yet RTM we need to test with RTM"
Me (2/18): "'...test with RTM' before you decide if you're going to kill it, or before you release it?"
Stefan Stefanov (2/18): "To see how we can best support it. Stay tuned."

I left the conversation at that point, but I find it a bit troubling, because at an RC level nothing major should change. What does that say about the viability of the product that they're waiting to RTM? There certainly could be something I'm not privy to, but without specifics we're left to wonder. At this point, Telerik hasn't said definitively that the product will be updated let alone when.

Stefan
Telerik team
answered on 14 Mar 2017, 05:00 PM
Hi Anthony,

Let me provide more information on the matter. JustMock is a complex tooling that works with the of and Visual Studio. From past experience, where we did work on new tool version against the RC, once the RTM was out we had to rewrite. This makes us caution in these situations ever since.

We are already working on JustMock support for Visual Studio 2017 and we will have in out in near future.

I hope that you find this information useful.

Regards,
Stefan
Telerik by Progress
Anthony
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Mar 2017, 09:02 PM

Stefan,

Thank you. The information is useful. It sounds like communication between Microsoft and it's partners like Telerik need to improve. Then again I've discovered what Microsoft calls an RC is sometimes really a beta. Maybe a late beta, but a beta nonetheless.

Aaron
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Mar 2017, 11:11 PM

Yes, hearing you guys are working on it is good to hear. We really like JustMock, and we've already started some preliminary VS 2017 project talks internally.

Aaron

Kenneth
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 04 Apr 2017, 05:11 PM

I understand that it will take some time to release, but more transparency about your timeline would go a very long way toward increasing customer satisfaction.

Post updates to your blog AND here, in the forum, with ballpark estimates. Update the estimates when you find yourself delayed. I think most people are more understanding about delays when they are getting frequent updates, than when there's silence for weeks and months at a time.

Make us feel like we're part of your team, and we will be. Otherwise, I'm already looking for alternatives.

Thanks!

Anthony
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 04 Apr 2017, 05:19 PM

I concur. Communication has been a problem this time around. It's not what I've come to expect from Telerik.

I finally got something definitive from Stefan a while back, but that took a lot of cajoling on Twitter and here to get that. Telerik really dropped the ball on JustMock with Visual Studio 2017. I can understand being a little gun shy based on the history, but we use these tools in our work and we expect 3rd party tools to be released reasonably close to the general availability release.

To clarify, I never expected JustMock to be released RC; however, I expected to know when it would be released. Even to this date several months later we don't know when. We only know that it's coming. That's completely unacceptable.

Stefan
Telerik team
answered on 09 Apr 2017, 07:46 PM
Hi guys,

I completely understand you. What I can share is that based on the latest progress we had, we will be targeting release of JustMock with support for VS2017 with R2 2017, which is due in the beginning of May. I hope this time frame works for you and I will reserve the right to update this thread in case of changes.

Regards,
Stefan
Telerik by Progress
Anthony
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Apr 2017, 07:48 PM
Thank you Stefan. That allows me to plan accordingly.
Kenneth
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Apr 2017, 07:58 PM

That is great!

Please do keep us in the loop of/when things change! We all understand the difficulties of estimating release dates and appreciate the ongoing conversation about your progress.

Thanks!

Keith
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Apr 2017, 03:04 PM

[quote]Stefan said:Hi guys,

I completely understand you. What I can share is that based on the latest progress we had, we will be targeting release of JustMock with support for VS2017 with R2 2017, which is due in the beginning of May. I hope this time frame works for you and I will reserve the right to update this thread in case of changes.

Regards,
Stefan
Telerik by Progress

[/quote]

Hello, it's been a couple weeks so I just wanted to check in and see if there was a confirmation that JustMock for VS2017 would be released with R2 2017.  Is that still expected in the beginning of May?  Thanks.

Jon
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Apr 2017, 09:56 PM

[quote]Stefan said:Hi guys,

Regards,
Stefan 
Telerik by Progress[/quote]

What the status, Stefan?

Stefan
Telerik team
answered on 26 Apr 2017, 06:38 AM
Hi guys,

Everything is on track and we are gearing up for the release which is due next week.

Once out, we will appreciate any feedback on it and on the product as a whole, as we will be shaping up our roadmap for the next release. In addition, our feedback portal is always open for ideas or issues.

Regards,
Stefan
Telerik by Progress
Christian
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 02 May 2017, 08:57 AM

Hi Stefan, 

As far as I understand VisualStudio 2017 is using the new MSTest v2 framework, which is also supported by VS2015 Update 3:
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudioalm/2016/06/17/taking-the-mstest-framework-forward-with-mstest-v2/

I tested MSTest v2 with the JustMock 2016.2.713.2 and it seems to not fully supporting it.
Especially static mocks and arranges on mocks which are not created within the individual test method but in TestInitilize are not working.

Q: Will MsTest v2 framework be supported?
Q: Is there any exact release date for the next JustMock version?

Thank you and best regards
Christian

Kamen Ivanov
Telerik team
answered on 05 May 2017, 06:50 AM
Hello Christian, 

JustMock R2 was released on 3rd May and is available for download.

Regarding your question about MSTest v2 it is not fully supported and as you have noticed there might be some cases that will not work as expected.
We have items in our backlog for the issues that we have found so far.
We will appreciate if you send us a sample solution with the problems that you have encountered.

Regards,
Kamen Ivanov
Telerik by Progress
Anthony
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 May 2017, 02:26 PM
I can run all my unit tests again, and I've caught up on the ones I had that were behind. So I'm happy. 

Please don't wait so long next time.
Zac
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 May 2017, 03:39 PM
    Normally in MsTest when you create a Mock Object you get a watcher/spy on it for free. 
     With MsTest V2 even for mocked objects you have to add a Mock.Arrange() on all functions to check if it has occured
     Defeating the purpose of the mock

[TestClass]
public class JustMockIssue
{
    private ClassThatDoesStuff _classThatDoesStuff;
    private OtherClass _otherClass;
    [TestInitialize]
    public void Setup()
    {
        _otherClass = Mock.Create<OtherClass>();
        _classThatDoesStuff = new ClassThatDoesStuff(_otherClass);
    }
    [TestMethod]
    public void PassesWithMsTestV1()
    {
        _classThatDoesStuff.AwesomeFunction();
        Mock.Assert(() => _otherClass.SampleFunction(Arg.AnyString), Occurs.Once());
    }

[TestMethod]
    public void PassesWithMsTestV2()
    {
        Mock.Arrange(() => _otherClass.SampleFunction(Arg.AnyString)).DoNothing();
        _classThatDoesStuff.AwesomeFunction();
        Mock.Assert(() => _otherClass.SampleFunction(Arg.AnyString), Occurs.Once());
    }
}

public class ClassThatDoesStuff
{
    private readonly OtherClass _otherClass;

public ClassThatDoesStuff()
    {
        _otherClass = new OtherClass();
    }

public ClassThatDoesStuff(OtherClass otherClass)
    {
        _otherClass = otherClass;
    }
    public void AwesomeFunction()
    {
        _otherClass.SampleFunction("Yay");
    }
}

public class OtherClass
{
    public void SampleFunction(string message)
    {
        Console.WriteLine(message);
    }
}
Kamen Ivanov
Telerik team
answered on 30 May 2017, 08:08 AM
Hello Zac,

Thank you for reaching us out about this problem.

In the release of version 2017.2.502.1, MSTestV2 wasn't supported.

I'm happy to inform you that we have been working on fixing issues with it including the one you have reported.

All the fixes and support for MSTestV2 will be included in the internal build that we are planning to release this week so please stay tuned.

Regards,
Kamen Ivanov
Progress Telerik
Kamen Ivanov
Telerik team
answered on 31 May 2017, 07:49 AM
Hello,

We have released an official internal build wit support for MSTest v2 and integration with code coverage & intellitrace for visual studio 2017.

You can download it from your Telerik account -> Downloads -> Progress® Telerik® JustMock.

Regards,
Kamen Ivanov
Progress Telerik
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Marc
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Kaloyan
Telerik team
Kenneth
Top achievements
Rank 1