This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Just Code slows VS2010 startup time by 5:1

5 Answers 84 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Reid
Top achievements
Rank 2
Reid asked on 03 Dec 2011, 03:17 PM
Hello all,

I upgraded a few months ago to the entire Telerik Suite, I love it.

I just put together a new system with Intel's new i7 CPU, and after installing everything I noticed that VS 2010 took approximately 2 full minutes to launch. After opening the project, another minute.

I searched online for solutions and found different theories.  I then tried not loading JustCode.  VS starts and completes loading in about 15 secs.

Has Telerik done any benchmarks on load time with JustCode enabled?  Or is my installation off?

Thanks,

Reid

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Hans Kratz
Telerik team
answered on 12 Dec 2011, 02:32 PM
Hello Reid,

thanks for your feedback.

JustCode has an impact on VS startup time but we are working on minimizing it for Q1 2012. Also he first time VS starts after JC installation it is expected to take a bit longer since we are caching some information.

However the numbers you report are much worse then anything we would expect. For example on my machine (with SSD) VS startup with JC takes about 10 seconds, without JC it takes about 3 seconds. Do you have your VS or JC installation on a network drive?

Also can you enable Verbose logging in JustCode and send us the logs (located in "%USERPROFILE%/AppData/Local/JustCode/logs") in a private ticket? That might shed some light on where all this time is being spent.

Regards,
Hans Kratz
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading the Ultimate Collection trial package. Get it now >>

Reid
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 12 Dec 2011, 03:10 PM
Hello Hans,

Thank you for replying.

I am not running anything on a networkm drive.

have since turned off JustCode and forgot how to re-engage it.  Also can you tell me how to turn on the logging?

Thanks,

Reid
Hans Kratz
Telerik team
answered on 12 Dec 2011, 03:23 PM
Hello Reid,

To enable verbose logging, enable the JC adding again, open the JustCode | Options... dialog and check "Enable verbose logging" on the General page.

All the best,
Hans Kratz
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading the Ultimate Collection trial package. Get it now >>

Reid
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 12 Dec 2011, 05:27 PM
Hello Hans,

Thanks for replying,

Ok I enabled it again and now get start times equivent to yours.  I checked the logs and see no errors.

The probem I discovered is the ORM product.  I enabled it again and it took about a minute to start.  After starting felt sluggish for 30 more seconds.

Thanks,

Reid
Hans Kratz
Telerik team
answered on 13 Dec 2011, 09:44 AM
Hello Reid,

I assume you mean Telerik OpenAccess. We will test if we can reproduce this here. Do you get slow startups and sluggishness also if you enable OpenAccess but disable JustCode? Or do both have to be enabled for the performance problems to show?

All the best,
Hans Kratz
the Telerik team

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Reid
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Hans Kratz
Telerik team
Reid
Top achievements
Rank 2