Issues with Chrome and FF Aurora

8 posts, 0 answers
  1. John
    John avatar
    6 posts
    Member since:
    Sep 2012

    Posted 26 Mar 2013 Link to this post

    With the latest build of the framework it can be difficult to get Chrome working. The trick I've figured out is that the framework does not like when chrome gets installed with admin privileges, because it is checking a specific path for the chrome exe. When chrome is installed with admin privileges it is in program files instead of  appdata. Normally uninstalling chrome and reinstalling it, saying no to the UAC prompt when it appears works. However, in the event that it does not one can just copy the Google folder from program files to appdata local, and then uninstall chrome and everything will work.

    Similarly since I run Firefox Aurora on my system the framework also has problems with that for similar reasons. While the extension installs just fine, and likely works just fine, the framework is checking a specific path for FF and since aurora does not install into that path it creates an issue.

    Both of these issues are likely fixable by the end user through the use of junctions or symlinks, but really there should just be a way to configure where the framework is looking for each browser on a machine specific basis.
  2. Cody
    Admin
    Cody avatar
    3360 posts

    Posted 29 Mar 2013 Link to this post

    Hi John,

    I will admit I had never heard of installing Google Chrome w/o admin privileges before. After a little research I reproduced the problem. I filed a bug on it here, (though this is more of a feature request than a bug).

    Firefox Aurora is an alpha test version of Firefox. As noted on our system requirements page, Telerik does not support non-released versions of browsers and operating systems.

    Regards,
    Cody
    the Telerik team
    Quickly become an expert in Test Studio, check out our new training sessions!
    Test Studio Trainings
  3. John
    John avatar
    6 posts
    Member since:
    Sep 2012

    Posted 29 Mar 2013 Link to this post

    I think you misunderstood me. At present the testing framework ONLY works if you install chrome without admin privileges. This use to be the only way to install chrome, however in a recent version Google add support for admin installs, and has started to use this as the default install method.

    They used to install in userspace only because chrome is a self updating application, and on Vista+ most users do not have write access to %programfiles%.




  4. John
    John avatar
    6 posts
    Member since:
    Sep 2012

    Posted 29 Mar 2013 Link to this post

    The source of the problem is as follows:
    ArtOfTest.WebAii.BrowserSpecialized.Chrome.ChromeInstallation.GetExePath() does the following

    1) Check to see if chrome is install in the user's appdata folder, if so use it there
    2) If chrome is not in the userdata folder check Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.ProgramFiles) to see if it is there. If so it uses it, else it errors out.


    The problem with this approach is it should be checking Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.ProgramFilesX86) instead.
  5. Cody
    Admin
    Cody avatar
    3360 posts

    Posted 09 Apr 2013 Link to this post

    Hi John,

    I finally got some time to do more testing on this. There are 4 combinations to worry about in the scenario of running Windows 7 with UAC turned on and logged in as a Standard User (instead of as Administrator). Here are my test results:

    A) Chrome installed w/o Admin privileges
    1) Run VS as administrator - Does not work. Says Chrome not installed.
    2) Run VS as standard user - Works as expected.

    B) Chrome installed with Admin privileges
    1) Run VS as administrator - Works as expected.
    2) Run VS as standard user - Works as expected.

    These results match the bug I already filed (because Test Studio always runs at Admin level).

    Technically we recommend always running VS "as administrator" (as noted in Solution 1 here) because that's the only way to get automation to work in IE. if Chrome is also installed with Admin privileges there should be no problem with this combination.

    Greetings,
    Cody
    the Telerik team
    Quickly become an expert in Test Studio, check out our new training sessions!
    Test Studio Trainings
  6. John
    John avatar
    6 posts
    Member since:
    Sep 2012

    Posted 09 Apr 2013 Link to this post

    Different results can be observed when using a 64x version of window.
  7. Cody
    Admin
    Cody avatar
    3360 posts

    Posted 10 Apr 2013 Link to this post

    Hello John,

    Thanks for alerting us there's a difference in behavior on 32-bit vs 64-bit Windows. My QA engineer tried this and replicated the problem. We have created a separate (internal) bug on this since it's a little different scenario than the bug I originally filed. I am hopeful (but cannot promise) it will be fixed in time for our upcoming 2012 R1 release due out sometime in May.

    Kind regards,
    Cody
    the Telerik team
    Quickly become an expert in Test Studio, check out our new training sessions!
    Test Studio Trainings
  8. Cody
    Admin
    Cody avatar
    3360 posts

    Posted 24 Jun 2013 Link to this post

    Hi John,

    Good news, we just checked in a fix for the installing Google Chrome on 64-bit Windows. It will be included in our upcoming 2013 R1 release. We're still working on the first bug, installing Google Chrome w/o Admin privileges.

    Regards,
    Cody
    Telerik
    Quickly become an expert in Test Studio, check out our new training sessions!
    Test Studio Trainings
Back to Top