This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Is Q1 2012 working with Silverlight 4?

16 Answers 513 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Dirk
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Dirk asked on 22 Feb 2012, 01:16 PM
I'm just trying to upgrade/update  the Telerik reporting and silverlight controls from Q3 2011 to Q1 2012.
We are still using Silverlight 4.
Is this possible?
It seems that an update is not possible without also upgrading to SL5?
Is this correct?
Regards
Dirk

16 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Steve
Telerik team
answered on 22 Feb 2012, 02:38 PM
Hi Dirk,

Quite the opposite, the Silverlight viewer is still build against Silverlight 4 as we have some problems with Silverlight 5 that we would resolve for upcoming internal build/service pack. The Silverlight project in the Visual Studio examples that we ship with the product installation targets Silverlight 4 and you can open it and verify that it works correctly.

All the best,
Steve
the Telerik team
NEW in Q1'12: Telerik Report Designer (Beta) for ad-hoc report creation. Download as part of Telerik Reporting Q1 2012. For questions and feedback, use the new Telerik Report Designer Forum.
Salie
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Feb 2012, 10:50 AM
Hi Steve,

Does this apply to other dlls as well. I just replaced my older 2011 Q2 dlls with the latest Q1 2012 dlls, but getting compile errors.

The referenced dlls are:
Telerik.Windows.Controls
Telerik.Windows.Controls.Data
Telerik.Windows.Controls.GridView
Telerik.Windows.Controls.Input
Telerik.Windows.Controls.Navigation
Telerik.Windows.Data

Just checked warnings and this is what I have found:
Warning    73    The primary reference "Telerik.Windows.Controls.GridView, Version=2012.1.215.1050, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5803cfa389c90ce7, processorArchitecture=MSIL" could not be resolved because it has an indirect dependency on the .NET Framework assembly "mscorlib, Version=5.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e" which has a higher version "5.0.5.0" than the version "2.0.5.0" in the current target framework.    Core.Controls

So it seems if we want to update to the latest we need to go to Silverlight 5. Our clients are large enterprises and have just recently approved Silverlight4. Is there a way we can use Silverlight 4 with Q1 2012?

Thanks
Steve
Telerik team
answered on 27 Feb 2012, 01:12 PM
Hello Salie,

It looks like your project's target framework is 2.0, try changing the target framework to .NET 4 in your project's Properties -> Application -> Target framework.

On a side note, the Silverlight Report Viewer does not require Telerik.Windows.Controls.GridView, so unless you need this control for other purposes in your project, you're not required to add reference to it. As we've mentioned in the previous post, currently the Silverlight viewer has some problems with SL 5, so you should use RadControls for Silverlight assemblies build for Silverlight 4 i.e. their version should end in 40 which specifies the version of Silverlight they are build against, namely 2012.1.215.1040.

Greetings,
Steve
the Telerik team
NEW in Q1'12: Telerik Report Designer (Beta) for ad-hoc report creation. Download as part of Telerik Reporting Q1 2012. For questions and feedback, use the new Telerik Report Designer Forum.
Salie
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Feb 2012, 01:48 PM
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. (And sorry to hijack this thread somewhat).

I am targeting Silverlight 4. It has a runtime ver of 2.0.5.0. The path to System.Windows for example is this:
c:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\Silverlight\v4.0\System.Windows.dll

When I checked the target framework it was def saying 4 (I don't have 2 installed).

Where can I find the "RadControls for Silverlight assemblies build for Silverlight 4" ? I downloaded the Q1 2012 demo this morning and it only has .x.x.x.1050 dlls in them. These were the dlls in C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\RadControls for Silverlight Q1 2012\Binaries.

I am not looking to use the report view in this project but a host of other telerik controls hence the reference to gridview etc. Actually interested in hooking up the PDFViewer.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
Giovanni
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Feb 2012, 03:45 PM
Hi,
i've got the same problem.
Where i can found RadControls for Silverlight assemblies build for Silverlight (2012.1.215.1040)?

Thanks,
Gio

--
I found the solution!

If you want to install the RadControls for Silverlight for SL4.0 you don't have to choose "Download Installer", but you have to click on "Browse all product files" and download dlls for SL4.0 or RadControls for SL4_2012.

I hope that's our solution!

Salie
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Feb 2012, 08:56 AM
Thanks Giovanni, but I am struggling to find the link to "Browse all product files". Do you mind posting it here please? Thanks so much!

---

Ah! Found them, they are in your account settings' products section.
Kammen
Telerik team
answered on 28 Feb 2012, 11:31 AM
Hello Salie, Gio,

I see that you have found the right resources, but just to clarify the situation:

The installer installs a Silverlight 5 version of the controls. If your project targets Silverlight 4, you can download a hotfix (zip with the dlls) from your account. This can be done after you log in to your account and follow these steps:
1. Go to Your Account;
2. Select "Download and manage your products";
3. In the RadControls for Silverlight section select "Download";
4. Find the hyperlink "Silverlight 4 - DLLs only (zip, 20 MB)".

Kind regards,
Kammen
the Telerik team
Sharpen your .NET Ninja skills! Attend Q1 webinar week and get a chance to win a license! Book your seat now >>
Dave
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 May 2012, 09:23 PM
I'm glad I found this ticket, but I'm sure this situation has annoyed many others as well.  You might want to consider at least putting version names in your installation folder paths (as a wild suggestion, "Silverlight 5").

Why not have the installer install both versions, and make it easier to select?
Dave
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 May 2012, 09:27 PM
Also, in the current version of the Telerik site UI, clicking "Download" automatically starts the download of the installer that winds up installing version 5.  No "Version 4 Hyperlink" exists.

If you click "Browse all product files" there seems to be no mention of what Silverlight version any particular build targets.

Clicking "Version Notes" also tells you nothing.

You guys have made it extremely hard to use this.  I still don't know how to download a version of my purchase that targets Silverlight Version 4, and this ticket actually doesn't solve it (unless I'm missing something, which is possible).
Iva Toteva
Telerik team
answered on 01 Jun 2012, 04:58 PM
Hello Dave,

Thank you for the feedback. We will consider changing the text that is seen when you log into your account and look for the resources. Next week we will also update the documentation to mention that the installer is for Silverlight 5 only and how the zips with the dlls can be used.

If you have any questions on using the Silverlight 4 version of the controls, get back to us.

Kind regards,
Iva Toteva
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading the Ultimate Collection trial package. Get it now >>

De
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Nov 2012, 11:47 PM
Any words from Telerik folks about the latest version of reporting that works for Silverlight 4?
Peter
Telerik team
answered on 28 Nov 2012, 09:08 AM
Hi De,

The latest Silverlight report viewer official release build for Silverlight 4 is Q2 2012 SP1 (6.1.12.820)
and the latest internal build is 6.1.12.823. If your application target is Silverlight 4 our suggestion is to use 6.1.12.823 that includes fixes related to the Silverlight report viewer.

Regards,
Peter
the Telerik team

HAPPY WITH TELERIK REPORTING? Do you feel that it is fantastic? Or easy to use? Or better than Crystal Reports? Tell the world, and help fellow developers! Write a short review about Telerik Reporting and Telerik Report Designer in Visual Studio Gallery today!

De
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Nov 2012, 07:09 PM
Thanks Peter. 
Could you send me a link to download Q2 2012 SP1?
My support subscription just expired and the new Telerik Control Panel doesn't give me options to download older version.
Appreciate your quick response.
Regards,
-De
Steve
Telerik team
answered on 29 Nov 2012, 11:38 AM
Hello De,

I've attached a short video that shows how to navigate to the older version you want to download.

Kind regards,
Steve
the Telerik team

HAPPY WITH TELERIK REPORTING? Do you feel that it is fantastic? Or easy to use? Or better than Crystal Reports? Tell the world, and help fellow developers! Write a short review about Telerik Reporting and Telerik Report Designer in Visual Studio Gallery today!

Equipe Info
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Dec 2012, 10:04 AM
Hello,

I'm having the same problem and I'm trying to download Q2 2012 SP1 (build 6.1.12.823) in TRIAL VERSION but it's not available for download.
I'm testing your reporting solution and we don't want to buy your solution if it's not doing what we expect...

Thanks for your help

Michael
Steve
Telerik team
answered on 17 Dec 2012, 02:21 PM
Hi Michael,

I've added license for Q2 2012 to your account and you would be able to download it from your account.

Greetings,
Steve
the Telerik team

HAPPY WITH REPORTING? Do you feel that it is fantastic? Or easy to use? Or better than Crystal Reports? Tell the world, and help fellow developers! Write a short review about Telerik Reporting and Telerik Report Designer in Visual Studio Gallery today!

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Dirk
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Answers by
Steve
Telerik team
Salie
Top achievements