This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Installing your VS 2010 WinForm preview ?

3 Answers 107 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Bill Woodruff
Top achievements
Rank 1
Bill Woodruff asked on 06 Oct 2009, 12:47 PM
Hi,

using Vista Ultimate. SP1, VS Studio 2010 beta.

I downloaded the trial version of your shipping WinForms suite

"RadControls_for_WinForms_2009_2_9_903_trial.zip"

today, and installed it with no problem. The demo program runs fine (must be a WPF demo, I'd say from looking at the graphics and interface).

I want to try your WinForm controls in Visual Studio 2010 beta. You have two downloads available on the preview build site :

RadControls_for_WinForms_2009_2_9_903_trial.zip (Release notes)
RadControlsForWinForms.exe (Release notes)

Which I have downloaded. The zipped archive contains a "ReadMe" file which mentions installing the dll's manually in the GAC, but I am not clear what the relationship is between the .exe file and the files in the archive.

Should I un-install your trial version first before running the .exe file ?

A few simple instructions (I have searched your site thoroughly) for the correct installation procedure would be appreciated.

thanks, Bill Woodruff
dotScience

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Nikolay
Telerik team
answered on 06 Oct 2009, 01:51 PM
Hello Bill Woodruff,

Thank you for contacting us.

The exe file is an installation file of the full RadControls for WinForms suite which includes the controls, the pre-built Examples application and the Examples source code project. In addition, the controls are automatically registered in the Visual Studio ToolBox and the RadControls assemblies are automatically installed in GAC. This is valid for Visual Studio 2005 and 2008. Currently, we do not install our controls in the VS 2010 Toolbox. However, you can do it by following this knowledge base article.

The archive zip file contains the assemblies only. Since there is no installation process, the controls are not installed in the VS Toolbox and in the GAC. You should perform these operations manually.

If you have 2009.2.9.729 version installed, you should first uninstall it before installing the custom build 2009.2.9.903.

I hope this helps. If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me.

Sincerely yours,
Nikolay
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Bill Woodruff
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 07 Oct 2009, 02:17 AM
Nikolay wrote :

"If you have 2009.2.9.729 version installed, you should first uninstall it before installing the custom build 2009.2.9.903."

Hi Nikolay,

Thanks for the quick response. I un-installed the regular download trial and ran the .exe installer for the VS 2010 preview trial, no problem adding the controls to the ToolBox manually.

Using the controls, the "trial reminder" screen is showing controls version 2009.2.9.804.

Is this the latest VS 2010 preview build, or is the  "2009.2.9.903" version better to use ?  I have no problem un-installing again and mounting the other set of controls in the GAC.

thanks, Bill
Nikolay
Telerik team
answered on 12 Oct 2009, 08:04 AM
Hello Bill Woodruff,

Thank you for getting back to me.

Generally, it is better to update to the latest possible version of RadControls for WinForms. The 2009.2.9.903 assemblies contain fixes and improvements listed in this release notes article. However, If your test case does not require the fixes from 2009.2.9.903, then you can use your current version - 2009.2.9.804.

If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me.

Best wishes,
Nikolay
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Bill Woodruff
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Nikolay
Telerik team
Bill Woodruff
Top achievements
Rank 1