This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Installing Visual Studio plugin for VS2017

15 Answers 428 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Jon
Top achievements
Rank 2
Jon asked on 30 Jun 2017, 06:42 PM

Hello,

According to the latest release notes for Test Studio Web & Desktop, the VS plugin now supports integration with VS2017. I have uninstalled all previous versions of VS and Test Studio, then installed VS2017 and installed Test Studio 2017.2.

During the installer dialogs, I have ensured that the Visual Studio plugin is selected for installation. I have attempted to uninstall and reinstall multiple times, including restarting the PC after each operation.

Regardless of anything I try, the plugin does not seem to install correctly. I can find multiple Progress extensions in the VS Marketplace, but not the actual plugin that is supposed to be installed via the Test Studio installer.

Is there anything I can do to further debug why the plugin is not installing? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

15 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Jon
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 30 Jun 2017, 07:14 PM
I will also add that after doing some research into my registry, I found many keys leftover from previous installations of VS and Test Studio. How does the installer know to detect the correct version of Visual Studio to integrate with? Most installers use the registry to find the correct version, so I'm guessing it's an issue there.
Elena
Telerik team
answered on 03 Jul 2017, 02:08 PM
Hi Jon,

Thank you for your interest in Test Studio. 

Please find some additional details about the VS 2017 Plugin here. Please let me know if this will change the behavior for you. Thanks! 

Regards,
Elena Tsvetkova
Progress Telerik

Quickly become an expert in Test Studio, check out our new training sessions!
Test Studio Trainings

Jon
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 05 Jul 2017, 02:33 PM

Elena,

That was the missing piece indeed. I modified my VS2017 installation to include the testing tools, then re-installed Test Studio and I now have access to the plugin.

Thanks!

Jon

Elena
Telerik team
answered on 07 Jul 2017, 01:33 PM
Hello Jon,

Thanks a lot for the feedback! I am pleased to know my advice was the missing piece and you managed to sort that out!

Please do not hesitate to contact us again in case of any further queries you might have! Thanks!

Regards,
Elena Tsvetkova
Progress Telerik

Test Studio Trainings

Durga
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 08 Aug 2018, 08:53 PM

Hi,

I am just following the link to make VS plugin for Telerik , I have enabled the testings tool core features still i couldn't find the test studio in my VS Enterprise 2017 Under Telerik tab. Please help me to understand further about it.

Elena
Telerik team
answered on 09 Aug 2018, 02:07 PM
Hello Durga,

The two requirements for installing the Test Studio Plugin and to use it in Visual Studio are to have minimum Visual Studio Professional edition, which you have covered, and to install the Testing Tools Core Features, which you said you have performed as well. 

Therefore I would like to kindly ask you to double check the Windows Control Panel and verify if the Progress Test Studio is available there. If so you could uninstall that and perform a clean new installation after the Testing Tools Core Features are already installed. 

Please let me know if that will be helpful to resolve the issue. Thank you for your cooperation! 

Regards,
Elena Tsvetkova
Progress Telerik

Test Studio Trainings

Durga
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Aug 2018, 10:47 PM

Hi Elena,

Thanks for your support!. It worked as you explained.

Thanks,

Durga.

Elena
Telerik team
answered on 10 Aug 2018, 01:15 PM
Hi Druga,

Thank you for your feedback! 

I am glad to know you managed to install the Test Studio plugin successfully. 

Regards,
Elena Tsvetkova
Progress Telerik

Test Studio Trainings

Nitish
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 30 Aug 2018, 11:53 AM

Hi Elena,

I have done the same thing which you have mentioned in your post of 09 Aug. I can see the telerik and test studio options in Menu , but while create new project i am unable to see Telerik option on New Project window (See  screenshot "NewProject" for your reference.)

When i googled it then found VS2017 should have few packages installed (see "ExpectedPackages.png") , but on my machine only two packages are installed and three are missing (See "InstallledPackages.png")

I have VS2017 Enterprise version (15.8.2) and telerik 2018.2. Both are trial versions.

Let me know if more info required from my end.

Regard's

Nitish

Elena
Telerik team
answered on 30 Aug 2018, 03:29 PM
Hello Nitish,

Thank you for reaching us out. 

First of all I would like to point out the latest update of Visual Studio 2017 which you have installed on your end introduced some changes and thus no Test Studio tests can be executed with the 15.8 VS version. The issue is identified on our end and we are working on resolving it for our next official release. 

Therefore I would like to ask if there is any possibility for you to install any lower version of Visual Studio? Then completely uninstall Test Studio and perform a new fresh installation so that the installed version of VS is recognized during that process. Please create the installer log to provide it for further investigation if it turns out this is still not successful. 

Thank you for your cooperation in advance! 

Regards,
Elena Tsvetkova
Progress Telerik

Test Studio Trainings

Nitish
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 31 Aug 2018, 06:31 AM

Thanks for your suggestion Elena.

I will try to do the thing as you mentioned in above post and will let you know if i face any issue.

Thanks

Nitish

Elena
Telerik team
answered on 03 Sep 2018, 03:47 PM
Hello Nitish,

I hope this will work for you as well. Though in case of any questions please let me know! 

Regards,
Elena Tsvetkova
Progress Telerik

Test Studio Trainings

Kenneth
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Feb 2019, 08:08 PM
Hello Elena,

I had version Visual Studio Enterprise 2015 and older version Telerik Test Studio. And I was available to do load testing with Visual Studio.
After I installed Visual Studio Enterprise 2017 version 15.9.7. And update Telerik TestStudio 2019.1.212.0. I have .
Please let me know. What is Visual Studio Enterprise I have to use for Telerik TestStudio 2019.1.212.0?

Thank you,
Serguei
Kenneth
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Feb 2019, 08:15 PM
Hello

I had version Visual Studio Enterprise 2015 and older version Telerik Test Studio. And I was available to do load testing with Visual Studio.
After I installed Visual Studio Enterprise 2017 version 15.9.7. And update Telerik TestStudio 2019.1.212.0. I have .
Please let me know. What is Visual Studio Enterprise I have to use for Telerik TestStudio 2019.1.212.0?

Thank you,
Serguei
Elena
Telerik team
answered on 26 Feb 2019, 05:13 PM
Hi Serguei,

As you have submitted a support thread with the same topic and to avoid publishing any confidential information, I suggest we continue the discussion in your support ticket with id #1397622. The current thread will be closed accordingly. 

Thank you for your understanding in advance. 

Regards,
Elena Tsvetkova
Progress Telerik

Test Studio Trainings

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Jon
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Jon
Top achievements
Rank 2
Elena