This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Installation problems

5 Answers 107 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Ken
Top achievements
Rank 1
Ken asked on 12 Oct 2010, 08:52 PM

Hello,

I'm installed the trial version on one machine successfully.  So far its great, and my company will be purchasing the software after we confirm it meets our needs.  However, when trying to install the software on another machine I get the following error message:

"The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory: C:\ProgramData\..\RadControls for WinForms Q2 2010 SP2."

Tried running it as both a standard user and administrator.  Tried logging in as administrator.  Nothing works.

The system is Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit.  I know how to change the permissions so the install will proceed, the problem is the error message does not display the full path.  Can you tell me what it is so I can create the directories manually and apply the permissions needed?

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Richard Slade
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 12 Oct 2010, 09:26 PM
Hi,

I would think that this is UAC - User Account Control that is denying access. Lower the UAC settings to prompt, and see if that helps.

Update: Control Panel\User Accounts and Family Safety\User Accounts >> Change User Account Access Control Settings
Let me know if you need more help
Richard
Ken
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Oct 2010, 11:32 PM
Just tried it.  No effect, same error message.  If you can tell me the directory, I can make the changes.  I've gone through this before on this particular PC, I simply change the permissions to allow full control to "Everyone", and then remove it after installation.  Works likes a charm.  Thanks!
Richard Slade
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 13 Oct 2010, 09:19 AM
Hi, 

Even though this is for Office, this Microsoft Support Article may help. 
Richard
Ken
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 13 Oct 2010, 01:11 PM

The error message is  not giving me the full directory name so there is no way to change the privileges.  The support article, while I appreciate the effort to look it up, doesn't help because it assumes the directory name is known, but I don't know it because the error message is replacing part of the pathname with "..".

Richard Slade
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 13 Oct 2010, 01:19 PM
Hi Ken. 

In that case, can you look at trying the following: 

1. Select Start > All Programs > Accessories.
  2. Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator. A Command Prompt window will open.
  3. In the Command Prompt window, type the following commands exactly as they appear below, including all spaces and quotation marks, and press Enter at the end of each line: 
  1. icacls "c:\ProgramData" /T /C /grant administrators:F 

exit 

EDIT: And then try the install again
Let me know how you get on. 
Richard
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Ken
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by