There are 2 visualization engines in the RadMap package.
The old implementation of the map objects' (points and shapes) visualization consists of 3 layers: InformationLayer, DynamicLayer and VirtualizationLayer. This visualization engine, however, lacks certain features and has a few performance issues.
In the Q2 2013 release we've introduced a new visualization engine in the RadMap. It has been designed from scratch to have better performance. The new visualization engine replaces all 3 layers with the new VisualizationLayer. The major goals of the new engine are:
1. Improve the performance of the data visualization.
2. Allow reading map shapes from different sources (KML, ESRI, and SQL Geospatial) in the background thread.
3. Integrating clustering and items virtualization into the core. This simplifies the usage of both features.
4. Ability to attach/detach almost any input event available for the FrameworkElement to the map shape visualization.
5. Support of items selection in the engine core.
Having this information in mind, I would recommend using the new engine (and its VisualizationLayer) instead of old one (or the InformationLayer).
TRY TELERIK'S NEWEST PRODUCT - EQATEC APPLICATION ANALYTICS for WPF.
Learn what features your users use (or don't use) in your application. Know your audience. Target it better. Develop wisely.
Sign up for Free application insights >>