This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Image Gallery

15 Answers 361 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Cheryl
Top achievements
Rank 1
Cheryl asked on 22 May 2007, 02:54 AM
Are there any plans on an Image Gallery type control? 

If so, when

15 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Sebastian
Telerik team
answered on 22 May 2007, 06:43 AM
Hello Cheryl,

Thank you for sharing your idea with us - it will be considered for the future versions of our controls. I the meantime I will appreciate if you provide links to online resources/pointers to image gallery controls offered by other vendors with the most wanted features you think they should have as built-in. Thus we can do more thorough research on the matter.

Best regards,
Stephen
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions at the new Telerik Support Center
Cheryl
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 May 2007, 09:36 PM
Hi Stephen

We currently us Cutesoft's DotNetGallery (http://cutesoft.net/ASP.NET+Image+Gallery/default.aspx) in our GenWeb product (www.genweb.co.nz). On the whole this has met our requirements, however this could do with some improvements, and needs to have the option of storing the uploaded images & generated thumb nails in a SQL database.  This would enable our products to be able to be load balanced.  It is the database storage option that we need that is causing us to look at alternatives, and we need an alternative sooner rather than later. 

We also currently use the Cutesoft's Editor in GenWeb however we will be moving to Telerik's Editor when the next version is released.

Sebastian
Telerik team
answered on 23 May 2007, 07:41 AM
Hi Cheryl,

Thank you for the additional information - I will forward it to our developers as well. Although we have not plans on developing image gallery control in the near future, you will surely consider offering this type of product depending on the customers demand and interest in such tool.

We appreciate your feedback on this subject. Feel free to contact us again if you come up with more ideas about features for this product which you consider useful.

Kind regards,
Stephen
the Telerik team

Jon Hobbs
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 May 2007, 11:35 AM
Another vote here for an Image Gallery.

I have been looking for a .net control that can do this....

http://www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox/

There is a Lightbox.net control but it doesn't work with ajax :(
Sebastian
Telerik team
answered on 29 May 2007, 11:42 AM
Hello Jon,

Thank you for voting for image gallery tool in this thread - I will keep collecting the feedback and will notify our developers regularly about the interest in this product. Still the research is in its initial stage and I can not guarantee that image gallery control will be approved for future development.

Best regards,
Stephen
the Telerik team

rick
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Jan 2008, 10:37 PM
Any new status on when and if you will be providing an Image Gallery similiar to the DotNetGallery?
Sebastian
Telerik team
answered on 28 Jan 2008, 07:46 AM
Hi rick,

Unfortunately due to other pending tasks we have pushed back the development of an image gallery tool and can not provide an estimate for it at the present moment. Stay tuned for more information on this subject for the upcoming releases of our RadControls suite.

Best regards,
Stephen
the Telerik team

LeBear
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 31 Jan 2008, 04:36 PM
I'd like to toss my vote in here, too.

I have plans to develop an image gallery, but it certainly would be great to have one from Telerik.  It would be great to provide the top-notch client-side UI I've come to expect from Telerik without having to do all of it myself.

Of course, building with the tools you already provide give me a great head start.

Thanks.
Sebastian
Telerik team
answered on 31 Jan 2008, 04:40 PM
Hello Barry,

Thank you for your feedback. We will definitely have in mind your opinion, too.

Best regards,
Stephen
the Telerik team

MB
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Feb 2008, 02:40 PM
I don't know if they wrote it in-house, or if it's a 3rd party tool, but this is one of the nicest photo galleries I've seen.

http://www.smh.com.au/photogallery/2008/02/03/1201973737200.html
LeBear
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Feb 2008, 02:59 PM
Not bad...

It appears to be an in-house tool.  This is in their JS source code:

* @name: FD.imageOverlay  
  * @package: Fairfax Digital Javascript Framework  
  * @version: 0.3  
  * @author: Dave Elkan  
  * @copyright: Copyright 2007. Fairfax Digital.  
  *             DO NOT ALTER THIS FILE.  
  * If your requirements are not met by this widget  
  * or this widget does not work please ask  
  * Dave Elkan <delkan@fairfaxdigital.com.au>.  
  * This widget is designed to to be used across  
  * the Fairfax Digital Network and contains no   
  * site specific code.  
  * Altering this file will render it unsupportable.  

Steve Newbery
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Jun 2008, 07:26 AM
I'll add my vote for an image gallery control - would be a great addition to your product lineup.

The coolest galleries I've seen are the Flash based ones created using SlideShowPro http://slideshowpro.net/
bemara57
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 02 Jul 2008, 03:39 AM
I vote for an image gallery control too!

I put together a page editor using a bunch of your controls, especially the RadEditor. My users are huffing and puffing that it's such a manual process uploading images and putting them on the page. Even though the RadEditor has an image file manager, it's such a tedious task for end users.. even myself to put together the images on the page for them, with thumbnails, larger image link, captions and everything. An Image Gallery control would be a great compliment to the RadEditor, File Manager Dialog, and even the Upload control.
bemara57
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 02 Jul 2008, 03:45 AM
By the way, didn't you have an Image Gallery control in an older version, but under the RadRotator control?

http://www.telerik.com/demos/aspnet/Controls/Examples/Integration/Ajax/RotatorAndAjax/DefaultCS.aspx?product=rotator

Is there at least any plans of bringing the RadRotator up to the current version? It looks like it was left out of Prometheus.
Sebastian
Telerik team
answered on 02 Jul 2008, 06:31 AM
Hello bemara57,

You may be happy to know that we plan to add RadRotator to our RadControls for ASP.NET AJAX suite for the Q2 2008 release, expected at the end of this month.

Best regards,
Stephen
the Telerik team

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Cheryl
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Sebastian