This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

IE8: JS-Error when changing "Font" style DropDown (2013 Q2)

10 Answers 42 Views
Editor
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
BigzampanoXXl
Top achievements
Rank 1
BigzampanoXXl asked on 17 Jul 2013, 04:50 PM
Hello,

there is a new exclusive IE8 bug in the 2013 Q2 release  which is easily reproduceable with the Online Kendo Demos.

If you change the "Font" Drop-Down (e.g: Heading 1, Heading 2), a javascript error occurs in "kendo.web.js":
Object doesn't support property or method 'indexOf'

Can you please put the fix in the next Internal Build.

10 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Alex Gyoshev
Telerik team
answered on 19 Jul 2013, 12:55 PM
Hello Dietmar,

Thank you for reporting this. We have logged this for fixing and I will follow up with a resolution at the start of next week.

Regards,
Alex Gyoshev
Telerik
Join us on our journey to create the world's most complete HTML 5 UI Framework - download Kendo UI now!
Accepted
Alex Gyoshev
Telerik team
answered on 22 Jul 2013, 02:52 PM
Hello Dietmar,

The latest internal build addresses this issue.

Regards,
Alex Gyoshev
Telerik
Join us on our journey to create the world's most complete HTML 5 UI Framework - download Kendo UI now!
BigzampanoXXl
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Jul 2013, 09:19 AM
Thanks Alex, that are good news :)

One more quick question:
What exactly is the "Word pasting improvement in the editor" from the 2013 Q2 (716) release?

Do I have to activate (make a configuaration on the editor) to get it working or should it work "out of the box"?
In older versions of the editor I disabled the "paste" event of the editor:

$(editor.body).off("paste");

Is that also needed for the 2013 Q2 (716) release?

Greets

Alex Gyoshev
Telerik team
answered on 24 Jul 2013, 02:41 PM
Hello Dietmar,

The improvements include cleaning of table styles and processing of bullet lists with graphic icon to be unordered lists. The line that you mentioned disables the paste handler -- if the default paste handler behaves as you need, you can remove the line.

Regards,
Alex Gyoshev
Telerik
Uriah
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Aug 2013, 09:38 PM
I see a similar issue with the latest internal build (Kendo UI Complete v2013.2.823). when using the "Format" selection.  It is an error on this line "if (dom.inlineElements.indexOf(tags[0]) >= 0) {" Specifically Object doesn't support property or method 'indexOf'.

Seems to happen only in IE8, which also may have some seriously broken styles at the moment.

Thanks,
Uriah
Alex Gyoshev
Telerik team
answered on 28 Aug 2013, 01:43 PM
Hello Uriah,

We are not aware of such issues with the latest builds, and it appears that these are not related to the error described in this thread (as they involve another tool). The broken styles most certainly indicate that that the update was not completed successfully, as the latest version does not have styling issues. Please verify that the script and style references are correct and open a new support thread and describe the steps needed to reproduce the issues. If the styling issues persist, please provide a sample project that shows them so that we may hasten our reply.

Regards,
Alex Gyoshev
Telerik
Uriah
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Aug 2013, 02:30 PM
Hi Alex,

Thanks for your response.  This problem definitely is with the product "Kendo UI Complete for ASP.NET MVC", I apologize for the confusion, I had merely pasted the version number string that was in the javascript file header.  You can see the issue in your current live demo in IE8:  http://demos.kendoui.com/web/editor/index.html  To recreate the problem, simply select some text and try to change the formatting to be "Heading 1".  This does not seem to be fixed with the current internal build.  I can create a new issue for this if you would like.  I will definitely create a separate thread for the styles in IE8 once I have the steps to recreate.

Uriah
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Aug 2013, 10:32 PM
In attempt to isolate any of my code or stupidity, here is what I did:  I created a new .html file in the root of the downloaded (unzipped) package and copied in the code from the kendo editor site verbatim.  The editor functions and is styled in the basic style in IE8 using this approach however I still can recreate this problem.

1. select a section of text.
2. choose any format from the format drop down. (e.g. blockquote, paragraph, heading 1, 2, 3, 4)
3. none of these tags are applied.
4. The following error is thrown:
SCRIPT438: Object doesn't support property or method 'indexOf' 
kendo.all.min.js, line 22 character 20373

This really seems like exactly the problem the OP mentioned, just on a different drop down.  If you really want me to start another thread for this I will.
Alex Gyoshev
Telerik team
answered on 29 Aug 2013, 08:57 AM
Hello Uriah,

Indeed, we reproduced the script error, and it has been fixed for the next internal build, that is due to the end of the week.

Regards,
Alex Gyoshev
Telerik
Uriah
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 04 Sep 2013, 03:51 PM
Works great thanks.  For what it's worth the style issue appears to be when the kedno stylesheet is appended to the DOM after the initial page load in IE8.  I didn't spend much time on it since the fix was easy (loading it with the initial request), but it did seem to work in the last stable release and doesn't with the internal build.  Just thought you would want to know.  Thanks, Uriah.
Tags
Editor
Asked by
BigzampanoXXl
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Alex Gyoshev
Telerik team
BigzampanoXXl
Top achievements
Rank 1