This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

IE problem on Windows Server 2012 r2

24 Answers 567 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Gail
Top achievements
Rank 1
Gail asked on 09 Apr 2014, 09:03 PM
I have a Testing Framework app using IE11 that runs fine on my Windows 7 desktop.  I installed it on Windows Server 2012 r2, and it starts the IE browser, but instead of doing a NavigateTo to my website, it stays stuck on the about:blank page.

I am using the latest version of ArtofTest.WebAii.dll.  I also turned off IE Enhanced Security Configuration and performed all of the IE configuration steps.  I am logged in as an administrator on the server.

I tried re-compiling the app with Chrome as the browser.  I performed the Chrome configuration steps.  The app runs!  (At least until it gets to a popup page).  The fact that it runs in Chrome shows me that I am able to use the Testing Framework on the server.

But the website I am testing is only certified for IE, and I must get the app running using IE.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

24 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Gail
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 11 Apr 2014, 02:54 PM
Well, I solved it.  Even though I am only using the Testing Framework, and that is all I have installed on my desktop, I had to install the trial download of Test Studio on the server to get my app to run there.  Why is that true only for IE browser apps?  (Remember, I could run in Chrome with just the Testing Framework.)  What will happen when my trial download expires?
Cody
Telerik team
answered on 14 Apr 2014, 10:08 PM
Hi Gail,

I installed it on Windows Server 2012 r2, and it starts the IE browser...

What exactly did you install on this other machine? Was it only your application, or Test Studio or our testing framework? I wonder if our FAQ "I want to just copy the Test Studio DLL's to a new machine instead of running the installer." applies to your case?

Regards,
Cody
Telerik

Quickly become an expert in Test Studio, check out our new training sessions!
Test Studio Trainings

Gail
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Apr 2014, 02:49 PM
I'm sorry that wasn't clear.  I downloaded and installed the Testing Framework on the Windows Server, but that was insufficient for running my app using Internet Explorer, although I could use Chrome.  I had to install the Test Studio trial on the Windows Server before my app would run using IE.
Cody
Telerik team
answered on 16 Apr 2014, 10:55 PM
Hello Gail,

Thank you for the clarification. i would like to try and reproduce this problem. Would it be possible to get a copy of your executable so I can install it on my machine and try to reproduce your symptoms? Once I have reproduce it I can investigate what the root cause is.

Regards,
Cody
Telerik

Test Studio Trainings

Ganga
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Apr 2014, 11:20 PM
HI Cody,

I am also facing the same issue.

I am using TestingFramework_2013_2_1327. I can able to run my tests on Windows 7 and Windows 8 with IE 11, but the same test is not running on Windows 2012 R2 with IE 11, but the same test was running with Chrome and Firefox on Windows 2012 R2. 

The test able to open an IE 11 browser, but it is not navigate to the web site.

Gail
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Apr 2014, 12:07 AM
Hi Ganga,

Are you willing to try downloading and installing the trial version of Test Studio on your server?  When I did that, suddenly my Testing Framework program ran correctly.

I have opened a support ticket on this issue:  http://www.telerik.com/account/support-tickets/view-ticket.aspx?threadid=809098
Ganga
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Apr 2014, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I can try it as a workaround, but it won't resolve the problem once is it expired.
Ganga
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Apr 2014, 04:11 AM
Hi Gail,

I don't have access to your support ticket. Did you receive any update from the support?

Thanks
Ganga S
Cody
Telerik team
answered on 28 Apr 2014, 08:30 PM
Hello Ganga,

We're still working with Gail to try and resolve her problem. We asked her to try one more experiment and get back to us.

I worked with another customer with a similar problem. I discovered they were using two different builds of Test Studio on two different machines and that was the cause of their problem. Once we got all machines using the same build everything worked as expected.

Regards,
Cody
Telerik

Test Studio Trainings

Ganga
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Apr 2014, 10:03 PM
Hi Cody,

I really appreciate your response.

I am using  TestingFramework_2013_2_1327 on both machine (Windows 8 and Windows 12) . Please let me know,  If you need any further investigation from my side.

Cheers,
Ganga S
Gail
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Apr 2014, 02:31 PM
At Telerik Support's request, I  uninstalled Test Studio and re-installed Testing Framework.  My executable that runs the tests worked perfectly.  I did not have the original problem of the browser stopping on the about:blank screen.  I am grateful that it works, but I wonder if installing the Test Studio trial set a registry key that remained set after uninstall, so that when I went back to a Testing Framework only setup, it worked.

This is the full sequence of events:
1.) Installed Testing Framework on my Windows 7 desktop and configured IE 11.
2.) Created a C# program that called Testing Framework methods, and ran my tests successfully in IE 11 on my desktop.
3.) Installed Testing Framework (same version) on my Windows Server 2012 r2 machine and configured IE 11.
4.) Ran the C# program on the server and it consistently got stuck on the "about:blank" page in IE 11.
5.) Installed a trial of Test Studio Ultimate on my Windows Server 2012 r2 machine.
6.) Ran the C# program on the server and it now worked perfectly, running all my tests.
7.) Uninstalled Test Studio Ultimate from my server and rebooted.
8.) Re-installed Testing Framework (same version as before) on my server.
9.) Ran the C# program on the server and it still works perfectly, running all my tests.

Thanks
Cody
Telerik team
answered on 29 Apr 2014, 06:26 PM
Hello Ganga,

Another possibility is Windows permissions level. To executes tests using IE requires that whatever you're using as a test runner must be running with Administrator level permissions. With that in mind it brings up the question: how are you running your tests? Are you running them in Visual Studio? NUnit? Your own home build executable? Make sure whatever the test runner is is running at Administrator level. If using Visual Studio make sure you start Visual Studio as Administrator.

Regards,
Cody
Telerik

Test Studio Trainings

Ganga
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 30 Apr 2014, 01:17 AM
Thanks Gail for the steps.

It is working for me, after I followed the same steps.

Cheers,
Ganga S
Ganga
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 30 Apr 2014, 01:23 AM
Hi Cody,

Thanks for the support. 

I am using a own C# build executable. It is running as a administrator on all three (Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 2012) environment.

I can able to navigate to the web site on Windows 7 and Windows 8, but not in Windows 2012.

Regards, 
Ganga S
Cody
Telerik team
answered on 05 May 2014, 04:16 PM
Hi Ganga,

I want to make sure I understand what the problem is, your current status and what you did. If I follow everything correctly:
  1. Your executable, which was make using the Teleik Testing Framework, would work fine on Windows 7, Windows 8, but not in Windows Server 2012?
  2. After you followed the steps that Gail Rich listed, it's now working in all 3 environments?

Once you confirm the above, I'll file a bug about this behavior.

Regards,
Cody
Telerik

Test Studio Trainings

Ganga
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 May 2014, 08:45 PM
Thanks Cody...

Please see my answer to your query.

1) Your executable, which was make using the Teleik Testing Framework, would work fine on Windows 7, Windows 8, but not in
Windows Server 2012?
[GangaS] Yes 

2) After you followed the steps that Gail Rich listed, it's now working in all 3 environments?
[GangaS] Yes

Regards,
Ganga S

Cody
Telerik team
answered on 08 May 2014, 02:59 PM
Hi Ganga,

Thanks for confirming. I'm also glad to hear you are now unblocked.

Regards,
Cody
Telerik

Test Studio Trainings

abhishek
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 26 Aug 2014, 02:28 PM
Hi Gail,   I has the same issue and i followed your steps and it works perfect.
Andrew
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 Nov 2015, 11:09 PM
I ran into the same issue today and following Gail's steps fixed it for me too.  I guess this bug still hasn't been fixed?!  I am using Testing Framework 2015.3 version 153.10.15.0
Ivaylo
Telerik team
answered on 11 Nov 2015, 07:10 AM
Hello Andrew,

Glad to hear you have fixed the problem.

The idea of getting this fixed is to have a 100% reproducible workaround which we cannot isolate, so far we haven't been able to proceed. Most probably this is due to specific environment but we cannot figure out what exactly triggers the problem.

As soon as we are able to have a reliable repro we will applying a fix.

Regards,
Ivaylo
Telerik

Test Studio Trainings

Andrew
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 11 Nov 2015, 05:53 PM

Ivaylo,

I have been able to reproduce this consistently.  It's a very generic test and it basically follows Gail's steps verbatim, so I'm not sure how you have not been able to reproduce this.  I did the test using an Amazon AWS EC2 instance, which you can also use to easily reproduce this problem.  And my C# test project simply opens an IE browser and browses to https://www.google.com/. Here are the exact steps I took:

1. Launch a new Windows Server 2012 R2 EC2 instance.

2. Disable IE Enhanced Security Configuration in Server Manager

3. Install the .NET Framework 3.5 Features from Server Manger Add Roles and Features

4. Install Telerik Testing Framework 2015.3 using TestingFrameworkFree.2015.3.1015.exe

5. Install NUnit 2.6.4 using NUnit-2.6.4.msi

6. Copied my project bin files to the instance and opened the project DLL in nunit-x86.exe.

7. Ran the test and it timed out.  It opened IE and just sat there on the blank page.  See here for errors shown in NUnit: http://pastebin.com/qjcMDQuq.

8. Rebooted

9. Ran the test and it failed again in the same way.

10. Installed Telerik Test Studio 2015.3 using TestStudio_Ultimate_2015_3_1015_Trial.exe

11. Ran the test and it worked.  It opened IE and browsed to https://www.google.com/ successfully.

12. Uninstalled Test Studio 2015.3

13. Rebooted

14. Reinstalled Telerik Testing Framework 2015.3 using TestingFrameworkFree.2015.3.1015.exe

15. Ran the test and it worked again successfully.

Ivaylo
Telerik team
answered on 16 Nov 2015, 11:22 AM
Hello Andrew,

Thank you for the detailed repro step. I will give a try reproducing this behavior. In case I succeed I will update this ticket with the feedback item logged.

Thank you once again.

Regards,
Ivaylo
Telerik

Test Studio Trainings

Chelsea
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Nov 2015, 09:05 PM

Hi,

I have a similar problem to Gail with the blank screen when running tests from ArtOfTest.Runner.exe on the Command Prompt although, I only have Telerik Test Studio 2015 R3 and not Testing Framework. The tests run normally when executed from Telerik, but not while using ArtOfTest.Runner.exe. Are there any suggestions on how to fix the problem?

Ivaylo
Telerik team
answered on 30 Nov 2015, 07:28 AM
Hello Chelsea,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing this problem, but it looks like it is not related to what is described here. Please submit a brand new ticket and provide more information including the application log for review.

Thank you for your cooperation in advance.

Regards,
Ivaylo
Telerik

Test Studio Trainings

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Gail
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Gail
Top achievements
Rank 1
Cody