This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

IE 6 PRoblems

17 Answers 144 Views
Editor
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Chris Trina
Top achievements
Rank 1
Chris Trina asked on 28 May 2008, 01:21 PM
Has anyone experience any issues with the RadEdit for AJAX on IE 6?  I have a production site that heavily uses the AJAX versions of RadEdit and RadMenu and I keep getting sporadic reports of users not being able to type in the editor.  Every reported instance has been and IE 6 user, but some IE 6 users are fine.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

17 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Rumen
Telerik team
answered on 28 May 2008, 04:07 PM
Hi Chris,

We are not aware of such interoperability problem and you are the first one to report it.
We will be grateful if you open a support ticket and send us a sample running project that demonstrates the reported by your users problem.

Once we are able to reproduce the problem on our side, we will do our best to help.

Best regards,
Rumen
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions at the new Telerik Support Center
Shaun Peet
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 28 May 2008, 07:30 PM
I had a nice long post that I had written earlier but the site crashed after I had submitted it.  I thought it had gone through...apparently not.

In any case, I can reproduce this behaviour in IE6, particularly within RadWindow.  It happens nearly all the time when a window is opened with an editor in it *for the first time*.  Refreshing the window seems to "fix" the problem.  Here are some screenshots:

http://www.microagebasics.com/support/temp/ie6editorrender1.jpg
http://www.microagebasics.com/support/temp/ie6editorrender2.jpg
http://www.microagebasics.com/support/temp/ie6editorrender3.jpg

Shaun.

Chris Trina
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 May 2008, 12:50 AM
Rumen,

I have not seen this for myself, I am only getting reports from my clients.  I will attach screen images as soon as I see it for myself.  I do believe that the issue is happening because I have had several different clients in different states report the same issue.  Basically they are saying the the editor is frozen and they cannot type into it.

Chris
Tervel
Telerik team
answered on 29 May 2008, 11:08 AM
Hi Chris and Shaun,

Is it possible that one of you sends us a project that we can play with under IE6 and try to reproduce the issue on our end. So far our attempts have not been successful - the editor loads just fine when inside a RadWindow...

We do not question the existence of such a problem, as browsers behave in all kinds of strange ways - so a screenshot in this particular case will not do much good. What we need is something to run and play with.

Greetings,
Tervel
the Telerik team

Chris Trina
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 May 2008, 02:23 PM
I submitted a sample project this morning on support ticket 140420.

Chris
George
Telerik team
answered on 02 Jun 2008, 04:26 PM
Hi Chris,

Thank you for the project.

We are still testing different scenarios with it and we are trying to reproduce the problem. Once we are able to reproduce the behavior on our side, we will do our best to provide a solution.

Sincerely,
George
the Telerik team

Rob
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Jun 2008, 01:40 AM
Hi

I have just released my site to some Beta testers, and immediately have one user reporting a very siimilar problem.

He has found that in IE6, if he clicks to switch to HTML view, the editor doesn't switch, and then none of the other controls on the page work - he gets errors stating there is invalid javascript.

This happens before he even types any content into the editor.

Regards,

Rob
Chris Trina
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Jun 2008, 11:14 AM
Rob,

Try upgrading to the very latest release, just release Friday.  The problem seems to be from the radscript manager.  The script manager delivers the javascript compressed which early versions of IE 6 could not handle consistently.  I did the upgrade on Friday and have not been able to reproduce the problem again, but I make no guarantees because this is so hard to reproduce.

Chris

PS The latest version detects the version of IE 6 and delivers uncompressed javascript when appropriate.
Rob
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Jun 2008, 10:06 PM
Hi Chris,

Thanks for that info - makes sense.

Now for the dumb question - how do I get hold of the latest release?  I have been all over this site twice and the only reference I can find to updates is trying to sell me an upgrade to my license!

Cheers

Rob
Chris Trina
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Jun 2008, 10:14 PM
You need to login so you can get to Client.net.  Under the Client.net menu choose My purchases, click the little down arrow beside RadControls for ASP.Net AJAX, once that menu expands, select Downloads, then, finally, choose the version 2008_1_619 to download.

Good Luck

Chris
Rob
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Jun 2008, 10:21 PM
That was well hidden!  I shall have to remember to go back there from time to time and check!

Thanks for that Chris.

Rob
Eddy
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Jun 2008, 03:44 AM
Hi everyone,

My IE version: 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_qfe.070227-2300

I have issue when trying to view in HTML in the editor.

All my content in the editor will go blank after i click view in HTML tab.

There is a text "javascript:void(0)" at the status bar below my IE when i hover my mouse over the HTML and Preview tab.

Eddy
Rumen
Telerik team
answered on 25 Jun 2008, 12:20 PM
Hi Eddy,

The reported problem is not related to this forum thread. Could you please start a new forum thread on the subject? Thank you in advance.

We are not aware of this problem and our suggestions is to see whether you are able to reproduce the problem with the live Default example of RadEditor.

If you are not able to reproduce the problem in the live example, please open a support ticket and attach a sample running project that demonstrates the issue. We will examine it and try to provide a solution.

Kind regards,
Rumen
the Telerik team

Chris Trina
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Jun 2008, 09:49 PM
Rob,

Bad News - I was at a client site today using IE 6, version 6.0.2900.2180.spsp_sp2_qfe.070227_2300, and the telerik not found error was occuring again so it seems that the latest release DOES NOT consistently fix the issue.

Chris 
Rob
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Jun 2008, 06:46 AM
Hi Chris

That's a shame. After I updated, I tested it IE6 here, and the problem appeared to be fixed, but Eddy (my chief tester, above) still has a problem with a PC he is using with IE6.

Cheers

Rob
Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 30 Jun 2008, 02:19 PM
Hi guys,

I'm sorry for the troubles you have. To my regret we could not find a proper way to detect if the browser supports gzip compression or not. This is the reason we now work on providing a way to manually disable the gzip compression while merging the resource files.

Please, bear with us some more.

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team

Erjan Gavalji
Telerik team
answered on 01 Jul 2008, 02:53 PM
Hello guys,

We added OutputCompression property to RadScriptManager and RadStyleSheetManager. Depending on the value (Disabled, AutoDetect (default) or Forced), the handler will compress the output or not, so you are able to add your own detection logic to the control and control the compression.

Please, open a formal support ticket to obtain the dev build.

Kind regards,
Erjan Gavalji
the Telerik team

Tags
Editor
Asked by
Chris Trina
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Rumen