This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

How to silently install new version 4.6.20172.31233 to c:\program files ?

5 Answers 298 Views
Windows
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Fabian
Top achievements
Rank 1
Fabian asked on 26 Jul 2017, 07:11 AM

Unfortunately the new version 4.6.20172.31233 of Fiddler always installs to the users folder under C:\Users\alias\AppData\Local\Programs\Fiddler

What can I do to install the new version 4.6.20172.31233 silently to c:\program files again?

Thank you!

Fabian

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Alexander
Telerik team
answered on 27 Jul 2017, 01:06 PM
Hello Fabian,

Currently, you cannot do it silently. However, you can do it by entering the path Fiddler should be installed at, but this means that you cannot use the automatic upgrade feature and must install it manually.

Regards,
Alexander
Progress Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Fabian
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 31 Jul 2017, 08:16 AM

Hello Alexander,

this makes me really sad. 

So we are not able to deploy this application via sccm anymore. Please bring back the ability to install to program files location. A MSI installer would be great! We don't over even want an automatic upgrade feature.

Regards

Fabian

Accepted
Alexander
Telerik team
answered on 03 Aug 2017, 07:35 AM
Hello Fabian,

Please, pardon me, I've misunderstood your question.

To make things clear - there is no such option (neither in the registry nor anywhere else) where you can set the install path, so when you run the installer (either manually or through the auto-upgrade feature of Fiddler) it installs Fiddler to that location.

However, in your case you don't need that anyway. As long you have access to the command-line parameters of the installer you can set the install directory without going through the UI. You can specify the output path by passing it to the /D parameter. Example:

FiddlerSetup.exe /D=C:\Program Files (x86)\Fiddler

You should keep in mind few things:
1. This should be the last parameter used.
2. It must not contain any quotes, event if the path contains spaces.
3. The path given should be absolute path.

Regards,
Alexander
Progress Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Fabian
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Aug 2017, 08:46 AM

Fantastic! This works for me! 

Thank you very much, Alexander!

Have a nice day.

Fabian

Alby
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Dec 2017, 07:48 AM
The issue with this approach is that if you use FiddlerSetup.exe /S /D=C:\Program Files (x86)\Fiddler the application does indeed install in the PFx86 folder but no icon is created in the public start menu. I know this can be easily scripted but it would be nice for the installer to manage all this (after all installers are done to manage all that concerns installations, removals, upgrades, etc.). Even worse the updates are not disabled by default and even if you choose no you will still get a prompt every time you start it. In short using the /D switch is not enough to change a per-user install to a full per-machine install. Any other solutions? I am also looking at deploying this via SCCM. A per user install from the App Catalogue silently fails because of UAC.
Tags
Windows
Asked by
Fabian
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Alexander
Telerik team
Fabian
Top achievements
Rank 1